Sign in to follow this  
jmagaletta

Review: 9500 - Sith Fury Class Interceptor

128 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

Thanks for the review.

that's definitely one set i'm writing down, so in the futur, I'll buy it. I like the shape of that ship, really.

I've not played the Old Republic game but I do like the design of this ship. I think the Lego have produced an excellent rendition of it. Your excellent comparison photo's however highlight the major problem. There is no way this is worth £80. The fury isn't even as large as the X-wing which is £30 cheaper. I take the point that it has over 200 more pieces but for the size of the model it doesn't feel like its worth the high price. I will wait for a sale to get this one.

Thanks for the review, decent looking fighter, most people will get this just for the figures I suspect, Magus looks great, love the Vader like mouth piece, sith troopers look equally good, just wished the helmets covered the necks, main gripe with most new sets this year is the price, definitely have to wait for a sale to get this one

I think I'll pip in on this one... When I saw it on Hothbricks link Amazon.es for 67 Euros, I knew I was going to pick it up immediately. That was a good enough price.

As for the size/piece count compared to the X-wing, sure, it might not be quite as diametrically big, but, the X-wing is light. Its part usage is spread thin and wide. This one? Those 200 extra pieces, when you actually hold it in your hand, and look at it closely, during and after the build, you know exactly where that extra cost goes. Let alone the fact they made a new mould for the helmets which will instantly bump up the price, Malgus' chest piece(I think that's unique to this set?) the new prints for the figs (completely new stuff there!) and I think, the single holed cape (I could be wrong? ).

It is most definitely a solid build, very weighty and I'd say *well worth it* at the amazon.es price. As for TLG price? I'd say it's ok... sure, wait for a sale if you want, but whenever you actually get this set, the price will be the first thing to leave your mind when you have it in hand! Then followed by a very hugely big :grin:

The set definitely looks amazing. Some nice parts, too. Thanks for the very informative review. I might get this.

I think I'll pip in on this one... When I saw it on Hothbricks link Amazon.es for 67 Euros, I knew I was going to pick it up immediately. That was a good enough price.

As for the size/piece count compared to the X-wing, sure, it might not be quite as diametrically big, but, the X-wing is light. Its part usage is spread thin and wide. This one? Those 200 extra pieces, when you actually hold it in your hand, and look at it closely, during and after the build, you know exactly where that extra cost goes. Let alone the fact they made a new mould for the helmets which will instantly bump up the price, Malgus' chest piece(I think that's unique to this set?) the new prints for the figs (completely new stuff there!) and I think, the single holed cape (I could be wrong? ).

It is most definitely a solid build, very weighty and I'd say *well worth it* at the amazon.es price. As for TLG price? I'd say it's ok... sure, wait for a sale if you want, but whenever you actually get this set, the price will be the first thing to leave your mind when you have it in hand! Then followed by a very hugely big :grin:

Exactly. The detail far more dense here than it is on the X-wing. The wings especially in comparison are far more impressive.

Quick question, do the sith troopers have the same face as Loki? It looks incredibly similar if not the same. And the set is pretty good but the price... :hmpf:

Quick question, do the sith troopers have the same face as Loki? It looks incredibly similar if not the same. And the set is pretty good but the price... :hmpf:

After looking at pictures of both, im going to say yes they are the same.

Sadly, this will probably be a "buy on sale" set as I don't think it will be flying off the shelves.

Part me of me wants me to go grab it now, b/c it looks like a fun little set. Thanks for posting the review and photos!

Great review, I'm going to wait for another year when it's on clearance with the other expensive summer '12 sets. :hmpf: Oh, well. It does look cool though, and the figs are too nice. :thumbup:

I'm going to get this set because I dig the general design of it so much, but it will be my first SW ship since the 2004 Hoth Falcon.

I'm not a very good "builder" in fact, without instructions I am pretty terrible. I am hoping to mod this ship to make a slightly- SLIGHTLY- larger interior in the back and was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to go about doing this? I was hoping the space "inside" to be increased by 2X2 studs each. Just enough to add some slightly detailed control panels and the like.

It's easily the best new SW type ship design in years, probably going back to RotJ. the Lego version is stunning. It's just small in overall size ( although not in weight. This is possibly one of the heaviest Lego sets I own) and a bit expensive at $90 US. (I got it for $74 with a damaged box, which seemed much better price per piece.) it has a ton of detail, a fairly interesting build, with a lot of unusual build elements, and a simply amazing swoosh ability factor (assuming you can hold it one handed for long. The sucker is heavier than it looks.) and possibly the best SW minifigs Lego has ever produced. ( granted of obscure non pop culture specific subjects from 3000 years before the movies, if you worry about such petty details.)

It looks absolutely perfect in your SW hanger parked alongside a Tie Fighter or your favorite YT class freighter. It actually looks and feels like a much better interpretation of Darth Mauls Sith Infiltrator than what we got on screen.

My only real complaint about it, aside from the price, is the size of the model. I realize Lego often reduces some subjects for practical purposes. The non UCS Milenium Falcon in minifig scale is way small. But this one is worse. The actual ship is not a Starfighter. It is the players personal ship. Their home as it were. By design it's interior space should be fairly similar to the crew and passenger areas of the MF (just with no cargo holds). As I said I realize some reduction in scaling is to be expected. They just went a bit too far in this case. At least they kept the rear crew compartment and it actually fits a crew. ( I still sob over how badly they shrunk the Halo).

Edited by Faefrost

I'm going to get this set because I dig the general design of it so much, but it will be my first SW ship since the 2004 Hoth Falcon.

I'm not a very good "builder" in fact, without instructions I am pretty terrible. I am hoping to mod this ship to make a slightly- SLIGHTLY- larger interior in the back and was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to go about doing this? I was hoping the space "inside" to be increased by 2X2 studs each. Just enough to add some slightly detailed control panels and the like.

I was thinking of modding mine out as well, at least then it would seem like a larger ship overall, as just a cockpit and a small seating area in the back is pitiful.

Personally I'm probably just going to end up hollowing it out, yet still keeping the top and the pieces required to keep the wings in place.

Thanks for this insightful review. :thumbup:

I was surprised by two facts - in reality the set does even look better than i thought and it is much smaller than it appeared at first glance.

I like the design (it really looks evil, imperial and stuff), the minifigs (details and characters) and the colour scheme. However the ship is even smaller than the X-Wing but so much more expensive. A considerable sale might tempt me but my collection would survive the set missing.

By design i rate the set above average. I won't aggregate for pricing - this only has impact on my decision to buy or not...

Great Review. Will wait for sale though.

Thanks for the review. :thumbup:

After reading this, i got the set for 30% off this week .

Let me just say you cannot go wrong with this one. It may be (relatively) small, but this is only due to the incredible level of detail this design incorporates.

The Ship looks excellent from every viewpoint. The whole build features tons of greebling, the structure is very robust, an interesting build alltogether and on top you get those top-notch minifigs.

This set literally blasted it's way into my Top 3 for 2012 in the last week of the year. :wub:

This was my favorite SW set of 2012, and one of the most fun builds I've had in quite awhile. I don't quibble much over scale in the LEGO universe, esp in SW. The look of the ship, the functions and features, and those amazing figs sold this set for me.

I've just finished building this set, I managed to pick it up for £60 on Amazon on the 2/3 January - a fantastic late Christmas present to myself :classic: . The build was great fun, and a pleasure to put together. I'm a "build and put it on display" person but the swoosh-ability of this model meant a 27 year old me was running around the living room with it. I agree the price is a bit steep, comparing it with other sets but if you can get it somewhere with a bit of a discount it's a must! Minifigs look awesome too!

I've just finished building this set, I managed to pick it up for £60 on Amazon on the 2/3 January - a fantastic late Christmas present to myself :classic: . The build was great fun, and a pleasure to put together. I'm a "build and put it on display" person but the swoosh-ability of this model meant a 27 year old me was running around the living room with it. I agree the price is a bit steep, comparing it with other sets but if you can get it somewhere with a bit of a discount it's a must! Minifigs look awesome too!

Totally agreed! When I bought mine (also for £60 which I think is price just right) I also was 27... and was found to be swooshing :P