Dakar A

Modular Madness: Life's a Beach

indexed.gif B-OM-26D

When the Modular Madness contest originally came up, and I noticed there was a Parks and Rec category, one thing clicked in my mind-"A beach". You see, I've always wanted to have a beach, or something similar in my city, and this provided just the kick that I needed to get me moving twoards it.

7564398350_5caa9c6656_z.jpg

Life's a Beach by Dakar A, on Flickr

(Note to Admins: If the editing is a problem, just send me a PM and I'll change it! :sweet: )

Here, we have the sterotypical beach scene: a sunbather (Who was out a little too long! ;) ), weightlifters, a hula dancer, a boardwalk, sandcastle, a surfer and more!

7564389522_6be70e4b9c_z.jpg

Life's a Beach 3 by Dakar A, on Flickr

Let this be a lesson to you kids: If you stay out in the sun too long, then your face will cook off. :wink: So, remeber to use that sunblock!

7564384374_62ca34d58d_z.jpg

Life's a Beach 5 by Dakar A, on Flickr

Knowing this was a beach scene, I just HAD to include a beach cruiser, and Lego's bikes work surprisingly well in the role!

7564380564_69c794d576_z.jpg

Life's a Beach 7 by Dakar A, on Flickr

This little scene idea came in my head when I was looking through some of my minifig parts, and the idea to completely flip-flop (See what I did there!? :laugh::hmpf: ) the gender roles for a little chuckle.

7564374914_2251def919_z.jpg

Life's a Beach 10 by Dakar A, on Flickr

Finaly, a dynamic veiw up the boardwalk. Since you always have to cross something like this when entering a beach, it was a big part of the MOC. But, I think you'll agree, it turned out really good! Afer a day of catching the waves (Or doing anything else on a beach), salt and sand gets EVERYWHERE, so those tall grey showers are invaluable. Also, with the way the tiles are set on the boardwalk, the fisherman got a little... tipsy. :drunk:

There are more photos in the Life's a Beach Flickr set, so go on over and check it out. And, as always, thanks for taking time to look at this. :sweet:

Edited by Dakar A

Now this is a great entry and loaded with subtle humour in it 'Dakar'.....good luck with it and Brick On ! :classic:

Now this is a great entry and loaded with subtle humour in it 'Dakar'.....good luck with it and Brick On ! :classic:

Thanks LT, I'll take all of the good luck I can get! :laugh:

I had no idea, how a beach can fit between the modulars. But your MOC shows that nicely. There are many interesting details there, but the 'worst' is the sunburned minifig. Ouch! :cry_sad:

That's an original idea! It looks very pretty and I like that the people are doing a lot of different stuff.

I had no idea, how a beach can fit between the modulars. But your MOC shows that nicely. There are many interesting details there, but the 'worst' is the sunburned minifig. Ouch! :cry_sad:

Thanks! Yeah, that feeling of the sunburn is so bad, and the worst part is that it comes AFTER you've left the beach! :laugh:

Cool MOC, the sandcastle is probably my favorite detail and the boardwalk is great :thumbup:

Thanks a lot! I wasn't sure wether the sandcastle would go over well, but I'm glad you like it! :thumbup:

That's an original idea! It looks very pretty and I like that the people are doing a lot of different stuff.

Thanks! Your recycling station is great as well, and if Jonathan (SonicStarlight) hadn't beat me to it, I would've blogged it as well! :laugh:

Great beach scene! I like all the different activies you have your minifigs doing. The burnt sunbather and the weak male weight lifter are my favorites.

Neat idea. Very original. I would expect no one else to consider doing a beach for this contest.

The scenes are really clever. You have basically everything one would imagine on a beach, short of volleyball, which would be hard without a lego ball.

The sand castle is really neat. Way to go there.

It certainly fits between two modulars, but I would imagine with how close the water-line is that the backs of the other modulars would be flooded!

Keep up the good work. Good luck. I still need to think of my park.

You did a great job on the beach! There are a lot of nice details.

It might not directly fit between the modular houses, but there's always the other side of the road.

Nobody said it should only be a single row of houses. :laugh:

Great beach scene! I like all the different activies you have your minifigs doing. The burnt sunbather and the weak male weight lifter are my favorites.

Thanks! I can't take all of the credit for the burnt sunbather idea, though. I orginally got the idea at Miniland, Legoland Florida! :laugh::wink:

Neat idea. Very original. I would expect no one else to consider doing a beach for this contest.

The scenes are really clever. You have basically everything one would imagine on a beach, short of volleyball, which would be hard without a lego ball.

The sand castle is really neat. Way to go there.

It certainly fits between two modulars, but I would imagine with how close the water-line is that the backs of the other modulars would be flooded!

Keep up the good work. Good luck. I still need to think of my park.

Maybe a voleyball net could be on another module, maybe a drydock and more! I had also though of adding a lifeguard station, or a voleyball net, but the boardwalk took precedence! :laugh:

You did a great job on the beach! There are a lot of nice details.

It might not directly fit between the modular houses, but there's always the other side of the road.

Nobody said it should only be a single row of houses. :laugh:

Lego could do an entire series of modular beach hoses and waterfront hotels! (plus a few beach sets scattered in between! :wink: )

Wonderfully humorous and lively. I see your pearl gold trident under the boardwalk. And let's not overlook the beach towel designs, nice use of the Racers printed tile. You certainly make my top fav. in this contest.

EDIT: I have just been reminded of the movie Point Break. Do you have the parts for early Keanu or Swayze?

Edited by gedren_y

This turned out really nice, Duncan! A lot of humor (that sunbather is priceless) and a very active a lively scene overall. The shower is a great detail, as is the whole pier really.

It's a great MOC.

Thanks! :blush:

Wonderfully humorous and lively. I see your pearl gold trident under the boardwalk. And let's not overlook the beach towel designs, nice use of the Racers printed tile. You certainly make my top fav. in this contest.

EDIT: I have just been reminded of the movie Point Break. Do you have the parts for early Keanu or Swayze?

Nice! You're the first one to find it, so you win the internet. The password is 1234bacon. :laugh: Also, I may have to try to make Keanu and Swayze minifigs, I'll get back to you on that!

This turned out really nice, Duncan! A lot of humor (that sunbather is priceless) and a very active a lively scene overall. The shower is a great detail, as is the whole pier really.

Thanks Jonathan! If only lego made a beach ball... :wink:

Excellent MOC. And also, the golden thing is under the boardwalk, it's the trident, but someone beat me to it. Good luck (this is pretty hilarious, especially the sunbather :laugh: ) I also really the castle, and the minfigs are also nice.

Edited by Lightning Dragon

Excellent MOC. And also, the golden thing is under the boardwalk, it's the trident, but someone beat me to it. Good luck (this is pretty hilarious, especially the sunbather :laugh: ) I also really the castle, and the minfigs are also nice.

Thanks for all of the complements! :blush:

Great MOC, but you may want to check to see if there's a limit to the number of photos in your first post. :wink:

Great MOC, but you may want to check to see if there's a limit to the number of photos in your first post. :wink:

Oops! Glad you caught that, thanks! The deed has been done, now everyone will just have to go to the Flickr page to see the deleted pictures! :laugh::wink:

Fantastic, excellent work. It perfectly recalls the summer air on the beach :thumbup::classic:

Great MOC. It doesn't look to crowded, but has the perfect amount of detail. The little scenes are great too.

Good luck in the contest. :thumbup::classic:

Great MOC. It doesn't look to crowded, but has the perfect amount of detail. The little scenes are great too.

Good luck in the contest. :thumbup::classic:

Thanks a whole lot! Those little scenes were my favourite part of the MOC, glad you guys liked it! :blush:

Edited by Dakar A

Nice! The sunburned girl is a nice touch. :laugh:

Thanks a bunch! :thumbup: