CorneliusMurdock

Lego Superheroes 2013 Rumours & Discussion

I've said it before but regardless of what people think of Ultimate Spider-man, its given us a lot in terms of LEGO. Through the sets we have got lots of characters that we would have never have got. Just think we wouldn't have Nova, Iron-fist, Doctor Doom, Beetle and maybe even Nick Fury.

Most of the characters look like there mainstream counterparts ( apart from Goblin and Doc Ock ). I think we should just all be grateful for what we have. Sure it would be a lot nicer to have Sets based on the current film or comics but as long as we're getting more Marvel Figures and sets I don't care. Infact I think it's better due to all the cameos from other heroes like Ironman and wolverine. Not to mention the cameos from villains like Doom and even M.O.D.O.K.

Season 2 is on its way and as far as I'm concerned that's great news. I'm a fan of the show and understand why lots of you don't like it, but think about it. In the next season we have Lizard, Electro, Rhino and other Spidey villains with cameos from more heroes and villains. With this show we could get Daredevil, the Fantastic four, Guardians of the Galaxy, more X-men and countless other characters that we would never get otherwise. Lets all just be thankful that LEGO is making more Marvel figures, regardless of where or what it's from.

With the Green Lantern he could be in a Mr.Freeze set, yes it does sound like a weird combo but Mr.Freeze could be stealing a rare mineral which is associated Green Lantern, also in the set could be Mr.Freeze's lab and that vehicle LEGO made as a prototype, also Green Lantern (maybe captured in trying to retrieve the mineral, like Aquaman in an ice prison) and Batman with the batblade.

People: The Lego Company generally makes DC/Marvel sets based on subject matter on which they will get free promotion (e.g. Dark Knight Rises promotes Batman universally, puts several lines of Batman lines on the shelves, The Avengers films, etc.). The X-Men are very popular and only had one, slightly obscure, set. Wanting sets based off of cartoons like Young Justice, which is not promoted as much as Ultimate Spiderman, nor are the cast as popular as Spiderman, is unrealistic at this early stage. If the Marvel/DC franchise remains profitable in a similar state to Star Wars after a few years, then you may begin to get more obscure heroes and villains.

People: The Lego Company generally makes DC/Marvel sets based on subject matter on which they will get free promotion (e.g. Dark Knight Rises promotes Batman universally, puts several lines of Batman lines on the shelves, The Avengers films, etc.). The X-Men are very popular and only had one, slightly obscure, set. Wanting sets based off of cartoons like Young Justice, which is not promoted as much as Ultimate Spiderman, nor are the cast as popular as Spiderman, is unrealistic at this early stage. If the Marvel/DC franchise remains profitable in a similar state to Star Wars after a few years, then you may begin to get more obscure heroes and villains.

I agree that Dark Knight Rises (a movie) promotes Batman, and Ultimate Spider-Man (a cartoon) promotes Spider-Man. But then by the same idea, the Young Justice cartoon is the free promotion. Don't the Young Justice cartoon, comic book, home video releases, and upcoming video game, Young Justice: Legacy, count for the free promotion you speak of? That's got to be on par if not more free promotion than Deadpool and Magneto got when they were released with Wolverine in the X-Men Lego set. It's certainly more free promotion than Aquaman is currently getting, though he's in a 2013 set.

I don't think it's unrealistic, especially if Batman is included in the set. He's been in almost all of the Young Justice cartoon episodes, and popular enough to be the focus of all the winter 2013 DC Lego sets. Put Batman, Nightwing, and Black Manta together, and you've got a set based on the Young Justice episode "Alienated." To go back to your free promotion stand point, grouping those three characters in a set would be directly related to an actual episode of Young Justice, and therefore receiving free promotion. The Deadpool/Magneto/Wolverine and upcoming Aquaman/Mr. Freeze/Batman sets are not getting free promotion like that.

And I absolutely agree with you, Sam892, and I very, very much appreciate everything we're getting. It really is a dream come true. I just see an opportunity for Time Warner to promote its shows, and Lego to ride on the Green Lantern and Young Justice cartoons, comics, video games, and home video releases, therefore using free promotion, as TenorPenny showed they like to do, by making a 2013 set based off either the GL or YJ cartoons.

Edited by phanstasm

I've said it before but regardless of what people think of Ultimate Spider-man, its given us a lot in terms of LEGO. Through the sets we have got lots of characters that we would have never have got. Just think we wouldn't have Nova, Iron-fist, Doctor Doom, Beetle and maybe even Nick Fury.

Most of the characters look like there mainstream counterparts ( apart from Goblin and Doc Ock ). I think we should just all be grateful for what we have. Sure it would be a lot nicer to have Sets based on the current film or comics but as long as we're getting more Marvel Figures and sets I don't care. Infact I think it's better due to all the cameos from other heroes like Ironman and wolverine. Not to mention the cameos from villains like Doom and even M.O.D.O.K.

Season 2 is on its way and as far as I'm concerned that's great news. I'm a fan of the show and understand why lots of you don't like it, but think about it. In the next season we have Lizard, Electro, Rhino and other Spidey villains with cameos from more heroes and villains. With this show we could get Daredevil, the Fantastic four, Guardians of the Galaxy, more X-men and countless other characters that we would never get otherwise. Lets all just be thankful that LEGO is making more Marvel figures, regardless of where or what it's from.

This. :thumbup:

Personally, I'm a DC fan, but I can still get behind the broader points of this post. What we have with Superheroes is something completely new. Never before has TLG afforded us such a wonderful opportunity to obtain official figures of some of the best fictional characters out there. From what I can tell, people have been making custom DC and Marvel figs for ages (the earliest one I personally remember seeing was back in... '03, I think), and it genuinely looks like they took notice of the LEGO-superheroes overlap and decided to do something about it. Just the fact that we have these figs (and these new elements that come with the figs) available is absolutely amazing. The Superheroes theme represents the most fun I've had with LEGO in quite a few years, and I pray for a SW-like longevity to this theme.

I'm a DC fan,

I pray for a SW-like longevity to this theme.

So am I, yes I pray for this line to go on and on... Long live Superheroes. Also TLG have a huge potential and could have a lot banking on this line. This line can be off the roof if they include figures not like the same old Batman. If they include solid remakes (which they're doing) or of course different characters like the Green Lantern, the Flash and Clayface this line could not just appeal to lego fans but comic fans aswell, which is millions. Suddenly their target audience can expand and they might even be bigger than Star Wars, and do you know how this happens? By promoting films like Lego have done like TDKR, but that's only step 1. Step 2, which Lego have started with Marvel and the Ultimate Spiderman and look what that bought us, Beetle, Doom and Nova! no way would they of come without promoting that show. But that has to happen with all the line because if not then we are missing out on those opportunities of Flash and Green Lantern etc. and people would be disappointed and maybe drop the Superheroes line.

Edited by Jackattack7

Capt.Redblade has it right - the range has such pulling power and offers so much enjoyment to kids and AFOLs that, if handled properly, means it should run and run. I ended my dark age with Batman I, and now see my kids loving Superheroes as much as I do and using their box of bricks to make random scenes and bases like we used to when the closest you got to a Batman figure was a guy with a black helmet and a bad-hand painted badge.

The range is strong on its own, and has support from other ranges. The cross-over with City is effective - even if it is only to provide a supporting cast/ victims/ scenery to the adventures of caped heroes and sinister villains. And what could be a better bit of scenery than the modular town hall (for those lucky enough to afford it, while we others can just imagine how cool the Joker would look in the mayor's office as Bats lands on the roof). Equally the expansion of the range across prices and complexities of build is impressive, and would suggest that TLG learnt the lesson of Batman I. Allowing kids to buy a jet ski with Batman for a few dollars in the US or get hold of it through an iffy paper in the UK, and then producing a pretty inspired Arkham at the opposite end of the scale while filling the gap between those 2 extremes with various iconic vehicles and scenes caters for a huge range of fans, with a huge range of ages, wallet- sizes and space.

Bring on Wayne Manor as the next exclusive, I say. Although the haunted house has potential....

I completely agree with Capt. Redblade and Brickadiergerad, bring on the new minifigures like Flash, Clayface, Fantastic 4 and Green Lantern. Promote new shows and bring on buildings like Wayne Manor, Gotham City Police Department Base and Blackgate. Also bring on new vehicles like the Batcopter and the Batblade, also not just them include vehicles which belong to other heroes.

I think we can all be fairly confident that these superhero lines are going to be here for at least the short and mid term. With new films, games and TV shows coming out there is a welath of material.

unfortunately most of those sets are likely to be concnetrated on the main characters. I think it will be a good 2-3 years until we start seeing obscure minifigures making the jump into sets.

Next year will be focusing on perhaps the 4 main comic characters of the moment, Batman, Superman, Spiderman and Iron Man. After that who knows. Perhaps we will see an exclusive set based on Wolverine so that Lego can gauge the popularity of any X-Men sets very carefully without committing much money to a wave of sets.

Don't forget the uncanny X-men cartoon should be out next year which would likely result in an X-Men set by september.

With the Arrow show on CW constantly receiving positive ratings, I would suspect that there may be a good chance to see a Green Arrow figure in a Batman set in the distant future. If not next year, perhaps when the Justice League :sick: movie comes out if Lego still has the rights to DC property.

unfortunately most of those sets are likely to be concnetrated on the main characters.

Yeah, I bet you're right.

Selfishly, I was hoping we'd see GL or Young Justice cartoon characters included in a Batman or Superman focused set for 2013, because I wanted to save the shows. A strong marketing push like that might be what the shows need for Cartoon Network to actually keep them on the air - in the US, they pulled both from their lineup for the next 3 months without any warning. If Time Warner and Lego wait until 2014 to include YJ or GL characters in a Batman or Superman focused set, it will probably be too late to help those shows. All well.

Edited by phanstasm

In case anyone was wondering, the new Galaxy Squad theme shows what the back of the new wings look like:

Mosquito1.png

-Sci

Watched the IM3 trailer, the last few pages of discussion has been interesting. :grin:

I really do hope the Mark VII minifig has printed arms to pull off that noticeable gold color scheme.

unfortunately most of those sets are likely to be concnetrated on the main characters. I think it will be a good 2-3 years until we start seeing obscure minifigures making the jump into sets.

Not neccessairly. I think Lego is doing a really good job adding in second or third string characters to their sets. Just look at Iron Fist and Nova in the Spidey sets - both aren't really household names, but Lego had the great idea to throw them in. You could even make an arguement for Deadpool - I mean, how many soccer moms are going to know who he is?

Not neccessairly. I think Lego is doing a really good job adding in second or third string characters to their sets. Just look at Iron Fist and Nova in the Spidey sets - both aren't really household names, but Lego had the great idea to throw them in. You could even make an arguement for Deadpool - I mean, how many soccer moms are going to know who he is?

Deadpool definitely no. Or Beetle, for someone who doesn't watch Ultimate Spidey or doesn't t know Spidey that well. Or Harley Quinn/ Dr. Harleen Qunzil for people who only watch the live action movie, and ignore the cartoons, comics and video games, even though she one of big four females of Bats rouges gallery.

Iron Fist/Nova aren't really secondary characters are far as the show is concerned however. If you've seen the show in it's majority at least, you would certainly know how the aforementioned are. I wouldn't put them in the no name category. Not as big as Spidey, of course, but still we know who they are.

Deadpool definitely no. Or Beetle, for someone who doesn't watch Ultimate Spidey or doesn't t know Spidey that well. Or Harley Quinn/ Dr. Harleen Qunzil for people who only watch the live action movie, and ignore the cartoons, comics and video games, even though she one of big four females of Bats rouges gallery.

Who are you thinking of as his 4th main femme foe? Ivy, Selina, Harley... and Talia?

Who are you thinking of as his 4th main femme foe? Ivy, Selina, Harley... and Talia?

Exactly, those are the four big ones.

Actually Beetle was a minor Iron Man villan and was featured in the armor wars.

Yeah, but the whole point is he is a minor villain, you even said so. People, unless they are hardcore fans, dont care about minor villain, even if he he has appeared outside of the Spidey comics,

Yeah, but the whole point is he is a minor villain, you even said so. People, unless they are hardcore fans, dont care about minor villain, even if he he has appeared outside of the Spidey comics,

But the comics aren't the source material for Spiderman in this case, the cartoon is. Beetle has been a reoccurring villain on the show. That says a lot because thus far, most villains have been much like action theme from TLG, one and done.

Super Hero month? Awesome!

Also, is the grin on the Batman/Bane set different than the one from the Super Heroes 2012 sets?

Super Hero month? Awesome!

Also, is the grin on the Batman/Bane set different than the one from the Super Heroes 2012 sets?

I don't think so, cool!! superheroes month, do you think they'll do something like superhero of the month?