CorneliusMurdock

Lego Superheroes 2013 Rumours & Discussion

Thanks for getting to my questions about licensing--you are probably correct about strictness on the licensing.

As to your statement above, I have to disagree. Many children enjoy comics and are quite up-to-date with the canon. In the 80s, I knew my comics by the time I was 9yo. At work these days, I photo for a fashion studio. Whenever we have kid's shoots, I totally discuss super heros and sci-fi with the 8-12 yo kids--they know their stuff. I hope you enjoy getting into the mythology of it all, btw--worthy of a doctoral thesis, imo.

In the end, it just seems TLG is afraid to make a move. DC and Marvel have shown they are willing to license out to anyone, so I doubt they are tying the hands on any deal. There may be other contracts to consider, but there are plenty of characters I would bet don't fall under that category.

Also, why doesn't TLG look to cater to AFOLs? They seem to with SW and that stuff sells. Why wouldn't they want to tap into the market further?

Last point: Black Panther is a major player...so is Daredevil. I agree about the Punisher (even his name gives kids a bad lesson, imo), but there are many characters who might seem second tier to those who aren't in the know, but are, in fact, major players. TLG group should hire one of us nerds (sorry if 'nerd' offends...it's a badge I wear with honor) to let them know what's up.

Sam892 summed it up nicely how it is with the comics. When I read about the stories from the last decade it doesn´t seem like something anyone would allow their kids to read. So the shows and movies are the only things left over to appeal to adults and kids at once and Daredevil seems to be dead since the 90s and Panther got his first true appearance in the now cancelled Avengers show.

As to the rest: LEGO already had Spider-Man and Batman. Spider-Man sets were kept in some stores until 2006 or 2007 and Batmans last few waves were stinkers (though that had more to do with the repetition of villains in wave 3 and the expensive/weird choices for Wave 2).

They probably don´t want to take a huge risk at the start and warm up in the next (few) years. Superheroes certainly has the potential to become a second Star Wars (≈20 sets a year) for LEGO. Material to adapt is plenty. I would go as far as to say Marvel and DC each could have their 20 sets instead of having to deal with a measly six.

Ant-Man and Dr. Strange are in phase 3 of Marvel so its' still a little ways away to begin speculation on those kinds of sets :wink:

I thought Ant-Man was slated to appear between Guardians of teh Galaxy and Avengers 2 in 2015? Aaaawww maaan...

How does lego create a larger figure that connects to bricks, and maintains the appearance of a Minifigure? While I'm sure we will get these characters, they will be a huge challenge for LEGO to create. After all what's point of having a Superhero or villain if they can't be played with in accordance with there powers.

Powers don´t seem to be important. Iron Man has only his four pieces to show him as flying at most but he could need a few more tube pieces for the longer blasts. Mr. Freeze only gets a little gun with lightsaber blade and two BURPs to freeze a person. Poison Ivy has flowers only in Arkham if I remember correctly.

Mr. Fantastic could just use Woodys long arms and legs from Toy Story and Giant Man could simply be a bigger fig. They already do bigger figs for their lamps (but without stud connections sadly) and they could save on additional molds as it is reuseable for other characters like The Thing, Hulk and Solomon Grundy. The only problem seems to be the Hulk molds they made for that one Avengers set and the designer or marketing people that decided to make him stylized without leg joints could feel a little silly.

Not for UK :(

Oh well i guess argos will have them next month finally that £5 off lego voucher will come to use.

Guy in the legi shop also said he'd be VERY surprised if a Thor set didn't come around in the 3rd quarter, saying that would bring sets between DC and Marvel even.

No confirmation or anything, just speculation on his part, but I do agree with him :)

Hopefully we will get at least thor set, with Thor, Loki, Jane Foster, Malekith and Odin.

+ Kurse and Sif and if we're supremely lucky the warriors three

It's a shame lego didn't have the licence when Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes around. I'm foaming at the mouth just thinking about having half the guest stars from that show.

It's a shame lego didn't have the licence when Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes around. I'm foaming at the mouth just thinking about having half the guest stars from that show.

dude, just some of the headliners would make me happy, as it is well have to want till at least late 2015 for Ant Man and Wasp and who knows if we'll ever get Black Panther, although I still hoping Stan Lee didn't jump the gun when he said there was a BP movie in the works for 2016 or 17

Hopefully we will get at least thor set, with Thor, Loki, Jane Foster, Malekith and Odin.

I certainly would hope so.Perhaps they'll do two thor sets like spiderman had this year for the january wave.Then three cap sets in april or maybe later.

I certainly would hope so.Perhaps they'll do two thor sets like spiderman had this year for the january wave.Then three cap sets in april or maybe later.

Yeah cause I want at least one Spidey set with Green Goblin, Lizard or Electro.

Yeah cause I want at least one Spidey set with Green Goblin, Lizard or Electro.

We still need Oscorp tower, the Latveriann Embassy and... the Hellicarrier

Sorry if I missed this, but have any pictures of the Superman sets/minifigs(minus the smallest) surfaced yet?

Edited by The_Creator

Sorry if I missed this, but have any pictures of the Superman sets/minifigs(minus the smallest) surfaced yet?

Unfortunately not. However, the Superman sets are supposed to be coming out in the UK next month (according to the latest Argos catalogue). If that is true, it can't be too long before good pictures emerge. If pictures do emerge, you will know because of the dramatic increase in activity of this thread.

Black Panther is a side character as far as I know and I have no idea who Moon Knight is.This comes from someone who is trying to get into the "mythology" of the comics. If I don´t know these characters, why would children want to have sets with them?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_Knight

Right so if you don't know them, that is valid reasoning to never make them for those that do? Lego made Iron Fist and he's just as much as a nobody.

But Punisher? He outright kills people. There is a difference between a villain killing everyone and a hero killing everyone. I doubt something like his appearance in 90s Spider-Man will be repeated anytime in the future.

No, he punishes people.

And he isn't a hero either. He's an anti-hero.

Jokers design was used often in many different works. You could also say he draws from the DCAU shows which are acceptable.

If you want to make that case, the point still stands on his actions in the cartoons as well.

-Omi

Actually pictures have surfaced, theres a link in this thread somewere for them.

The pictures that we have seen so far were taken from a video that was filmed at Nuremberg Toy Fair. Unfortunately, those images aren't particularly great. The pictures I am assuming to come out soon are pictures of the box art of the sets. I do hope such pictures do emerge soon; the Toy Fair pictures were, as I said before, not the best.

quick thoughts on Iron Man vs The Mandarin: Ultimate Showdown...

I got this sets expecting to have it only for the minifigs and to be somewhat let down by the mandarin minifig... I am glad to say that I was presently surprised!

First the iron man minifig is flat out awesome, the detail is better than the one from the avengers and I liked that one a lot already.

Second the Mandarin fig looks a lot better in person than in the pictures, which make his hair and beard look shiny (ugh) the shape of his hair and beard are okay too, I really don't know how lego could have done much better when you look at pictures of what he actually looks like.

Third: The cart actually turned out to be a fun little build, it has some rare parts and the mechanism for the flame thrower is actually interesting.

If your on the fence as to if you want this or not, I recommend it, even if just for the figs, and I'm on a founding member of the flick-missiles-are-lame club.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_Knight

Right so if you don't know them, that is valid reasoning to never make them for those that do? Lego made Iron Fist and he's just as much as a nobody.

No, he punishes people.

And he isn't a hero either. He's an anti-hero.

If you want to make that case, the point still stands on his actions in the cartoons as well.

-Omi

Iron Fist is part of team Spidey in ultimate Spider-Man, so it makes sense for him to get a figure.

Iron Fist is part of team Spidey in ultimate Spider-Man, so it makes sense for him to get a figure.

Still a nobody trying to be popularized.

Hell I'd rather see Howard the Duck too.

-Omi

-Omi

Dude, are you kidding??? Iron fist is awesome, I've always liked him since I first read his character in the comic book... he like the only chill super hero there is, all zen like, Nothing like me, but I still think it's cool. Iron fist deserves more of a spotlight... If you were to rag a little on Nova... Maybe, but for Iron Fist, you are WAAAAAY OFF bro

-Omi

Yeah, but the point is, Iron Fist was made because he featured in the show. Any character featured in a show or movie is fair game. He may be a "nobody", but he's being popularised due in fact to Marvel wanting a Heroes for Hire TV show if S.H.I.E.L.D does well enough. It's probably the same reason Nova is on e team, if Guardians does well, Nova is a guaranteed movie, and it helps having these characters around now so kids can at least get a sense for who they are.

Any character could be made, they just need to be on the show.

Dude, are you kidding??? Iron fist is awesome, I've always liked him since I first read his character in the comic book... he like the only chill super hero there is, all zen like, Nothing like me, but I still think it's cool. Iron fist deserves more of a spotlight... If you were to rag a little on Nova... Maybe, but for Iron Fist, you are WAAAAAY OFF bro

Agreed on Iron Fist, I'd love to get a white and hold variant of his costume after his power up.

I love Nova. Old Nova. When he was like Spider-Man in space (this kid in Ultimate Spider-Man is a new guy).

Anybody else notice this part of the description of the Malibu Mansion Attack on LEGO.com?

:laugh: I wonder if they're explicitly eating mandarins in the movie.

That's awesome! :head_back: I'm guessing that it's TLG humor more so than Tony deliberately eating mandarins in spite of the Mandarin (which would also be hilarious).

Yeah, but the point is, Iron Fist was made because he featured in the show. Any character featured in a show or movie is fair game. He may be a "nobody", but he's being popularised due in fact to Marvel wanting a Heroes for Hire TV show if S.H.I.E.L.D does well enough. It's probably the same reason Nova is on e team, if Guardians does well, Nova is a guaranteed movie, and it helps having these characters around now so kids can at least get a sense for who they are.

Agreed on Iron Fist, I'd love to get a white and hold variant of his costume after his power up.

I love Nova. Old Nova. When he was like Spider-Man in space (this kid in Ultimate Spider-Man is a new guy).

I actually don't mind the new Nova... I think he provides an important element to the show... He is Spidy's mirror. He represents everything spidey doesn't like about himself. It's the whole, the things that annoy us most in others are the things we don't like about ourselves principle. At first I was like, what, he's just another personality like spidy but when the delineations happened it got interesting and I began to be able to relate to the show on a more mature level. Nova is spidy if he never had Uncle Ben but, if your gonna bag on a main from the show, bag on Nova.. End rant.

I'm sure he is, but so are Black Panther and Moon Knight. :P

No they don't. They just need to be in comics. :D

Like Wolverine, Deadpool, and Magneto.

-Omi

I actually don't mind the new Nova... I think he provides an important element to the show... He is Spidy's mirror. He represents everything spidey doesn't like about himself. It's the whole, the things that annoy us most in others are the things we don't like about ourselves principle. At first I was like, what, he's just another personality like spidy but when the delineations happened it got interesting and I began to be able to relate to the show on a more mature level. Nova is spidy if he never had Uncle Ben but, if your gonna bag on a main from the show, bag on Nova.. End rant.

Oh hey, don't get me wrong! I like the new Nova! He's the reason I got the Bugle set (well, him and Doom... and Jameson).

But yeah, I get that vibe from him. I love the argumentative nature the two share aswel, one of my favourite things in the show. The fact the act like real friends.

I'm sure he is, but so are Black Panther and Moon Knight. :P

No they don't. They just need to be in comics. :D

Like Wolverine, Deadpool, and Magneto.

-Omi

While true, that's one set of fan favourite characters, all of which have been in movies. I understand they're in comic costumes, and I'm thankful for that. But it's one set out of how many?

I'm not arguing here, I'd love Lego to delve a little deeper. I'd totally army build Skrulls, kree, hydra, AIM, etc.

Hell, now I want a M.O.D.A.K.