CorneliusMurdock

Lego Superheroes 2013 Rumours & Discussion

! Quick sum up of 76006: I love War Machine, the Extremis dude is okay, and the boat is not half bad! :classic:

Nice review J2G :thumbup: Don Cheadle minifigure looks great! It's also interesting you think the gold on the Iron Man helmet is different? If you have the Avengers Iron Man it would be really nice to see a comparison picture :blush: Either way nice video!

It's still Cap, Iron Man and Thor (and Spider-Man). There are other things to Marvel besides them. it's great that Doom came in a Spidey set, but I would have preferred to be in a FF set instead.

And DC needs to stop having Batman carry them too.

-Omi

Its going to be a lot harder for LEGO to move away from Batman, now that Young Justice and Green lantern are cancelled.

DC are terrible at promoting their lesser know characters. Whatever people think about the Ultimate Spider-man TV shown its given us minifigures. Iron fist, Nova, Dr Doom and Beetle there's no chance we would have gotten them with out the show.

I can see The DC sets becoming boring next year unless they move away from Batman. What I think LEGO will most likely do is test the water. I can see Batman becoming the side character while the rest of the Bat family take front seat. I imagine seeing Batman as a hostage or in trouble with Nightwing or Batgirl having to save him. This way Batman will still sell sets but, wont be the headline act. A example would be something like 'Batgirl cycle: Killer Croc Rescue'.

It's still Cap, Iron Man and Thor (and Spider-Man). There are other things to Marvel besides them. It's great that Doom came in a Spidey set, but I would have preferred him to be in a FF set instead.

And DC needs to stop having Batman carry them too.

-Omi

Well with Thor we only have Thor and Loki, when with Thor: TDW sets we could get Odin, Heimdall, Tyr, Jane, Erik, the Warriors three, Sif, Malekith, and the Dark Elves

And we've only gotten Cap, and we could get the Winter Soldier, Crossbones, Falcon, movie Fury .

But i do agree they need less focus on Bats.

I can see The DC sets becoming boring next year unless they move away from Batman. What I think LEGO will most likely do is test the water. I can see Batman becoming the side character while the rest of the Bat family take front seat. I imagine seeing Batman as a hostage or in trouble with Nightwing or Batgirl having to save him. This way Batman will still sell sets but, wont be the headline act. A example would be something like 'Batgirl cycle: Killer Croc Rescue'.

Unfortunately, I don't quite see that happening, myself. I could see Superman or maybe Flash rescuing him, but not Batgirl. It's sad, but unless it is based on a specific scene, like the mansion set with Pepper, I just don't see it happening. Not after Wonder Woman and Lex which made little sense. I would rather see her take the backseat than not appear at all, however.

I do think that the DC sets will get better next year, at least figure-wise. The point they are at they will have to give us someone new for the sake of being new, and hopefully several someones. Reappearances of a few characters are a granted, like Batman of course, but the only villain from the Batman theme who hasn't been redone is Killer Croc. I don't necessarily think that we will see him again, but the main appeal in this line is the characters and new ones will likely help a set sell better than ones that include ones that are all available elsewhere, granted they have some stature. I would go on, but I don't want to make a wishlist here. Maybe I am just being too hopeful. :sadnew:

I still doubt we will get close the the variety that Marvel has presented so far, unless they decide to make sets based on Beware the Batman which could do a bit. I guess that Katana would be a better addition than no one at all, and that would give Ra's a chance too, but I'd rather take my chances with the "comic" sets. :sceptic:

Edited by Superficial Username

Well with Thor we only have Thor and Loki, when with Thor: TDW sets we could get Odin, Heimdall, Tyr, Jane, Erik, the Warriors three, Sif, Malekith, and the Dark Elves

And we've only gotten Cap, and we could get the Winter Soldier, Crossbones, Falcon, movie Fury .

But i do agree they need less focus on Bats.

That still doesn't change the fact that it is still Cap, Thor, and Iron Man. They are the Batman of Marvel sets.

-Omi

That still doesn't change the fact that it is still Cap, Thor, and Iron Man. They are the Batman of Marvel sets.

-Omi

Well Thor's costume has changed in Thor: TDW

I don't know if Cap's costume will change TWS, which i bet it will.

Repeating the same argument over and over is of no use. The point is that the Marvel properties continuously have new material and new characters from which LEGO can draw to make sets. DC, meanwhile, isn't coming out with new, current stuff for LEGO to draw from (besides the Superman movie for this wave), which makes LEGO's task in making sets a bit more difficult. They can't keep on making vehicles for Batman because there aren't THAT many vehicles to do.

Besides, Cap, Thor, Iron Man (plus Spider-Man and potentially Guardians of the Galaxy) are a lot more properties right there than Batman alone, so saying saying that three (4 with Spidey) characters are equivalent to one in DC still shows that Marvel has a greater base of stuff to work from.

Its going to be a lot harder for LEGO to move away from Batman, now that Young Justice and Green lantern are cancelled.

DC are terrible at promoting their lesser know characters. Whatever people think about the Ultimate Spider-man TV shown its given us minifigures. Iron fist, Nova, Dr Doom and Beetle there's no chance we would have gotten them with out the show.

Lego doesn't need shows to pull from. They have a massive amount of sources to pull from. Star Wars movies aren't in theaters and we are still seeing sets based on all the movies.

Well Thor's costume has changed in Thor: TDW

I don't know if Cap's costume will change TWS, which i bet it will.

You're not getting the point. Batman had a few costume changes too. Still doesn't change the fact that he is Batman.

Lego can do more than just Cap, Thor, and Iron Man is what I am saying. Just like we had Batman for years, we are getting the same treatment with Marvel with Cap, Iron Man, and Thor.

DC, meanwhile, isn't coming out with new, current stuff for LEGO to draw from (besides the Superman movie for this wave), which makes LEGO's task in making sets a bit more difficult. They can't keep on making vehicles for Batman because there aren't THAT many vehicles to do.

Lego doesn't need movies or shows.

-Omi

Edited by Omicron

-Omi

Technically this argument can be made for any theme.

Star Wars: its still Luke, Anakin, Obi wan, Han....

City: still Airport, Marina and fire........

LOTR: its still Frodo, Gandalf, Aragorn.....

Bearing in mind as said before if you want things to sell, go with what's current. At the moment that's Spider-man, Batman, the MCU and MOS.

Next year there's Days of future past, Cap 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy, so expect those sets ( although an X-men set would be separate from the film). When looking at the current sets they are all gear towards stuff that's currently got hype.

Even last years X-men set is geared towards a current event. Which X-man has a film out this year Wolverine, which X-man is the only hero included in that set Wolverine. the Avengers made 2 billion dollars so that's why their sticking around. Batman is always going to sell.Spider-man has a current cartoon series. Plus Super-man has a film coming out with the name Nolan attached to it.

However on top of all this the theme is very Young. It's only the second year and until the future of SH is 100% secure LEGO won't take huge risks. I think its selling well but its still too early for LEGO to put out a FF set or a Daredevil set. Think about how many years it was until B list and even C list characters, and vehicles started appearing in Star Wars. Next year but most likely the year after is when Lego might put a risk set on shelves. Even then I don't expect more than one.

Edited by Sam892

Lego can do more than just Cap, Thor, and Iron Man is what I am saying. Just like we had Batman for years, we are getting the same treatment with Marvel with Cap, Iron Man, and Thor.

Lego doesn't need movies or shows.

LEGO could theoretically do anything - make a DC-Marvel mashup set, why not?

But, judging by what they have been releasing in this line, LEGO thinks it needs movies and shows, which actually makes good sense, given that superhero stories reach the widest number of people when they're on the screen, not when they're in a comic. From that standpoint, there's a lot more material from Marvel to work with right now. Comic-book fans might not be happy that LEGO sticks with content from movies and shows for the most part (obviously the Batman line isn't quite from any one thing), but that appears to be how it's working.

So when are the new Iron man sets being released in the UK? I've been looking on the net and can't find anything. I'm hoping its the Seventh as I'm heading to the LEGO store next week.

According to the latest Argos catalogue, we in the UK are getting the Iron Man and Man of Steel sets in April. I'm not sure what day in April though as it did not say.

So when are the new Iron man sets being released in the UK? I've been looking on the net and can't find anything. I'm hoping its the Seventh as I'm heading to the LEGO store next week.

Read on brickset forum 2 days ago that they have been spotted in lego Watford!in hoping for 7th too!

Why does it matter? DC doesn't have any new material to work off of, whereas Marvel is coming out with a few new movies every year as well as new TV shows. If Marvel is supplying TLG with all this material and DC doesn't really have much set for their future then it only makes sense that Marvel will be getting more sets than DC.

That would be a perfect world without DCs suits trying to ruin everything good in the world.

-Omi

What is there other than the Avengers and Spider-Man that LEGO could use? X-Men and the Fantastic Four are really the only things that come to my mind. Everyone else isn´t kidfriendly or too unknown.

And now look at what they have to work with. Last year they had six sets and this year there are five and maybe a S@H set that could also be pushed to next year. What are you expecting them to do? A set or two per character/team and that´s is all? That may sound pretty awesome but just look at Iron Man: There is already no Iron Patriot and the Ten Rings consist only of Mandarin, Killian and some shiny dude. How bad would it be if there were only two sets or even just one? In a stupid situation like this you have to choose the characters that print the most money.

Comparing the situation with Batman is just silly. DC just has it so much worse. A simple line based on the old Justice League cartoon like how they based 2006 Batman on the 90s series would solve all the problems of the line being not diverse enough. Even if they only produce so much Batman because his villains are more popular they could just stuff them into the League sets. It´s not like they would make less sense than Luthor kidnapping Wonder Woman and Deadpool flying a chopper for Magneto.

According to the latest Argos catalogue, we in the UK are getting the Iron Man and Man of Steel sets in April. I'm not sure what day in April though as it did not say.

Read on brickset forum 2 days ago that they have been spotted in lego Watford!in hoping for 7th too!

If the Watford rumour is true then hopefully it just means that Argos are bringing them out a bit later. I'm heading to Milton Keynes LEGO on the 14th March, and they usually are pretty good with bringing sets out on time. Still only 2 days until the 7th so guess we will just have to wait and see.

If it is April for the UK, I find it funny how the USA get the sets first but we get the film first. Still not sure who gets he better deal with that......

Edited by Sam892

Why does it matter? DC doesn't have any new material to work off of, whereas Marvel is coming out with a few new movies every year as well as new TV shows. If Marvel is supplying TLG with all this material and DC doesn't really have much set for their future then it only makes sense that Marvel will be getting more sets than DC.

What do you mean, "doesn't have material?" There are plenty of classic villains that haven't been made, like Mad Hatter and Man-Bat! There's also Ra's Al Ghul, Hush, etc. There's lots of possibilities, they just haven't done them. (We also need a new Killer Croc....)

What is there other than the Avengers and Spider-Man that LEGO could use? X-Men and the Fantastic Four are really the only things that come to my mind. Everyone else isn´t kidfriendly or too unknown.

X-Men, Fantastic Four, Punisher, Daredevil, Black Panther, Moon Knight.

And spare me the kid friendly stuff. Lego made Bane and Joker.

LEGO could theoretically do anything - make a DC-Marvel mashup set, why not?

But, judging by what they have been releasing in this line, LEGO thinks it needs movies and shows, which actually makes good sense, given that superhero stories reach the widest number of people when they're on the screen, not when they're in a comic. From that standpoint, there's a lot more material from Marvel to work with right now. Comic-book fans might not be happy that LEGO sticks with content from movies and shows for the most part (obviously the Batman line isn't quite from any one thing), but that appears to be how it's working.

And yet their competitors like Minimates, HeroClix, and Megablocks were able to make serious bank by being able to "theoretically" do anything.

-Omi

And yet their competitors like Minimates, HeroClix, and Megablocks were able to make serious bank by being able to "theoretically" do anything.

-Omi

Lego is definitely making this new line more kid friendly--and just having characters like Joker or Bane in it does not make it any less kid friendly. Overall, the sets themselves are a lighter tone, and the most obvious change is ADU guns instead of Tommy guns/pistols. That's clearly a push to make it "friendlier". As for characters, it’s a wonder that we got DKR Bane--but I'm not surprised the set itself that he's in is very toned down.

And I don't think you can compare competitors like Minimates or HeroClix in terms of character selection--they can put out those B listers because they are not just selling those--they sell tons of other products/toys, where as Lego is only selling Lego, not action figures etc. Lego cannot afford to put out tons and tons of sets just to make low rank characters because they don’t have other products to help even out sales.

Lego is definitely making this new line more kid friendly--and just having characters like Joker or Bane in it does not make it any less kid friendly. Overall, the sets themselves are a lighter tone, and the most obvious change is ADU guns instead of Tommy guns/pistols. That's clearly a push to make it "friendlier". As for characters, it’s a wonder that we got DKR Bane--but I'm not surprised the set itself that he's in is very toned down.

They can still make the characters in sets. And I wasn't talking about TDKR Bane either. I'm talking regular Bane.

And I don't think you can compare competitors like Minimates or HeroClix in terms of character selection--they can put out those B listers because they are not just selling those--they sell tons of other products/toys, where as Lego is only selling Lego, not action figures etc.

Minimates and HeroClix sell sets too for their figures. And Minimates originally started with just Marvel/DC and still made bank with sets.

Lego cannot afford to put out tons and tons of sets just to make low rank characters because they don’t have other products to help even out sales.

Ummmmm? Aquaman? Nova? The Beetle? Iron Fist?

-Omi

Edited by Omicron

-Omi

I think your missing the point. Sure those characters are great but currently they wouldn't sell as well. They still would sell as many AFOLs would buy them but Kids wouldn't.

If I show an eight year old a picture of Daredevil or Punisher, they wouldn't know who they are. So if they don't know who they are why would they buy them in a set?

LEGO is a business and as a business they want to make as much money as possible. The money they make will most likely be invested back into the Superheroes line later on.

In terms of the Kid friendly thing, Joker is based on a version that's Kid friendly. In the sets we get him he's not given knifed and Meat cleavers. He's given a toy gun. That goes for the whole Superheroes line. The ADU guns, the lack of physical weapons for the villians. We have to remember LEGO is a toy, aimed at Kids. that's why there isn't a New 52 Joker with his face cut off, or a Punisher set with him murdering gang members.

I think your missing the point. Sure those characters are great but currently they wouldn't sell as well. They still would sell as many AFOLs would buy them but Kids wouldn't.

And you know that for sure? You're absolutely positive they wouldn't sell and no kid would know them? Every single kid in the world will not buy them because they don't know them?

I would like these statistics please, thanks.

In terms of the Kid friendly thing, Joker is based on a version that's Kid friendly.

Both Joker figures drew their design straight from the comics and were based on such appearance. Do I need to list all the things the Joker did in the comics? Or just keep it simple with theft, torture, terrorism, and murder?

We have to remember LEGO is a toy, aimed at Kids. that's why there isn't a New 52 Joker with his face cut off, or a Punisher set with him murdering gang members.

I think you're missing the point on this one. I never said make those sets just like that. I just said make those sets with the characters.

Hell the first Spider-Man set from years ago was based on the scene where Green Goblin attacks the parade and kills the board members. Left out the board members obviously, but still based on that scene. Crumbling balcony and everything.

-Omi

I'd be really stunned if LEGO didn't make new Killer Croc and a Man-Bat minifigs using the molds from Chima for Croc and the Monster Fighters Vampire Bat for Man-Bat. They're such...no-brainers. Already sculpted, active molds, ready to go, and perfect for both characters, depending on what they want to do with them.

Then again, I thought Green Lantern and Flash would be seen by now based on their appearances in the video game, so what do I know?

What do you mean, no new material? There are plenty of DC sets that could be made! There are multiple Batman villains that we haven't seen, and other DC heroes like Green Lantern and The Flash. LEGO can make all of these, but they haven't/won't.

I meant movies and shows, which is what LEGO Marvel has been completely based on up until this point. I'm well aware that there is more to DC then just Batman and the 8 or so other characters we have seen. We can all argue about this all day long, but up to this point it seems like TLG would rather play it safe in the early years of these licenses and make sets based off of the current material presented to the public rather than delving into the comics. I am all for diversity and would love having lesser known characters, but for now TLG is playing it safe and in doing so I can see them giving Marvel more attention since they are the more globally publicized brand right now. Maybe MoS is a huge hit and the DC Cinematic Universe takes off, but until that point, IMO, Marvel has center stage.

On another note, I feel TLG missed the boat by not having sets for Young Justice since that show seemed very popular and I am sure plenty of kids (and AFOLs) would have loved sets based on it.

After viewing the new Iron man Trailer I'm suprised LEGO didn't make a larger set for the ultimate showdown. From the trailer it appears that there will be Iron Patriot, the Heartbreaker suit, Hulkbuster, Deepspace suit, Silver centurion and another 37 suits. I'm hoping that if we are getting another set in the Fall that its based around this and not Thor 2. Instead pushing a Thor set to a January release.

The Iron Legion seem every important to the story, and while I don't expect LEGO to make all 40 suits I would have expected more.