Sign in to follow this  
TeufelHund

New Unofficial Lego Castle Ideas Book

Interesting. The preview looked quite good.

Interesting find, some nice looking techniques!

Not out in the UK until October. I may pick this up when it is released. Some of the builds look quite substantial. The farm and village models are quite nice. The first page claims that all the models were built with pieces from existing lego sets including those from Castle, creator and Harry Potter themes.

I really like the village and farm builds. They are simple and bold and not childish, and could make good starting points for more complex builds.

Heck, I might even stop armybuilding and start using the extra cash to build a peasant village.

~Dwarf

Sean Kenney is easily one of my heros - if you haven't checked out his website yet, you most definitely should: www.seankenney.com

Normally when I add a book to my long list of "Books I Want for the Library I Plan on Having Someday" I use a "pushback" function, but I may have to use a normal "push" here - this book is awesome.

(Sorry, I had to add the nod to programmers in there :tongue: )

Hope everyone's day is going swimmingly,

Rawel.

Definitely cool. It looks like it is aimed more at younger children though, as the book as listed under the "children's book" section on his website and some of the designs are pretty simple. Still, it looks like it has some great ideas and would be an excellent start for someone new to doing Lego MOCs.

have the "Cool Cities" book from this series and am looking forward to this one. simple and short but packed with good ideas.

Edited by MikeyB

Thanks for posting this! I have his other books and I look at them as much as my kids do. While the books aren't long, they pack a lot of detail in their few pages. Just a few days ago I was wondering where he could go for his next book, now I know, and this could become my favorite book if it is as good as his others.

have one of the books in the series and am looking forward to this one. simple and short but packed with good ideas.

have one of the cool cities book from this series and am looking forward to this one. simple and short but packed with good ideas.

have one of the cool cities book from this series and am looking forward to this one. simple and short but packed with good ideas.

I didn't quite get what you said, could you please repeat it? :tongue:

I didn't quite get what you said, could you please repeat it? :tongue:

stupid edit function was acting up! Sorry!

I didn't know these sorts of books existed, but this will be extremely helpful for me. I've always had a tendency to make rather bland castles, but this book could really give me some great ideas and techniques.

I just got this yesterday and I have to say it's quite good for what it is. It packs a fair bit in for only 32 pages and with virtually no explanatory text it's all about observing and copying. I didn't see too many new technqies with regards to constructing buildings and castles but it is jam-packed with interesting little mini-builds for everyday medieval items, animals etc I would have liked to see some Medieval warfare stuff like some siege engine builds or maybe a torture chamber but as this is clearly aimed at kids most of the stuff is more about everyday medieval life, farming, the fair, jousting, feasting etc. There are some step-by-step instructions but they are a bit on the small side which would be my main criticism of the book - it's just hard to make out sometimes what pieces/techniques are used for some models.

All up though, and given I only paid $10 for this, it's a good buy for any castle fan.