Erdbeereis

LEGO Star Wars 2013 Pictures and Rumors

Hm...looking at the hi-res picture, does anyone know what the red technic - thing behind the gate does? It can't raise the gate, as it's in some 1x2s with holes, so does it lock it down? And, nix what I said about it being $50 dollars. I think that it'll be $30-$40 based on pieces, but the Rancor is worth $10 alone.

Well done TLG... We've seen so much anticipation build for some of these untouched OT topics, and the were sure not to disappoint us. First Boushh, now the Rancor...

LOVE the possible clawed fingers!!!!!

Holy crap! That Rancor is amazing! By far the best LEGO creature (yes, in all themes)! I love that the Palace can sit onto the Pit, but isn't attached. Also, the Rancor Keeper's staff looks to have some new interesting pieces on either end of it. Looks like the bar slides into one end, and there is a clip on the other end so things can be attached. Makes me think of Tusken Raider gaffi sticks!

I kind of expected the Rancor Pit to be nothing more than four pillars with a gate. Within the given dimensions set by Jabba's throne room, there just isn't that much space to make proper rock walls. And besides i think they left the sides open on purpose for easy playability access. The real attraction of this set has to be the figures, in particular the very first offical LEGO Rancor is just awesome.

With such exclusive figures i don't expect this set to come cheap. The retail prices for this years sets seem to have been inflated quite a bit by TLC, and i do not expect them to reverse their pricing policy for next years sets. Someone mentioned 50 dollar/euro, but it wouldn't surprise me the least if it ended up retailing for double that amount.

Wow, the Rancor looks awesome! default_wubnew.gif

In terms of pricing, it will likely be very high as the set contains 2 brand new figures, and an updated figure.

EDIT: If you have not seen the hi-res picture of the set yet, bad luck for now as the owner has removed the picture. You will have to make do with the pictures here for the moment.

Edited by grahamm5001

I saved all of the pics, just to be safe. :sweet: That Rancor looks so amazing! Definitely getting this set, so many good looking parts in addition to a Rancor.

On a side note Since the tower is not being propped up it would be nice if they released a 3rd Jabba palace set (droids perhaps). I doubt it will happen but it would be very easy to MOC up and complete yourself. (please no replies to this statement as it could be speculation). I think between these two sets you could really moc up some cool stuff to increase the size of the palace

I'm going to reply, but it won't be speculation! A side room was my first thought as well, but seeing as there are no Technic holes in the rancor pit for an attached room, I am pretty sure there is nothing planned. I remember chamber of secrets had this problem as well- I remember trying to stack Hogwarts over Chamber of Secrets and having some building or piece of building (maybe the bathroom?) sitting awkwardly on the side.

This set looks great. So this is supposed to be able to attach to Jabba's Palace? How? :look:

The Rancor looks great. :wub:

The throne room part of Jabba's Palace sits on top of the pillars of the Rancor Pit. There's nothing to hold up the tower though, so that becomes a rather useless extra when you combine the Palace with the Rancor Pit.

The hi-res picture is still in our flickr set (link in first post), and as far as I know, TLG hasn't asked us to take it down.

Meanwhile, two pages earlier, we see the bottom of the 9516... :

(From the 2012 thread, this one's more relevant now)

Oh right, that's what those holes are for! I was wondering about those.

So it looks like the Rancor Pit indeed can be added beneath Jabba's Palace. The Rancor itself looks great. I was expecting a more enclosed Rancor Pit, but it's not too bad considering Jabba's palace isn't really enclosed either.

Pardon my ignorance, but are those shelf displays purely decorative or do some hint at new sets? The Kashyyyk display looks nice, as does Vader's medical droid and the Trident.

The throne room part of Jabba's Palace sits on top of the pillars of the Rancor Pit. There's nothing to hold up the tower though, so that becomes a rather useless extra when you combine the Palace with the Rancor Pit.

Ok that is what I was thinking, but then came the tower which would become unstable. Anyways, hopefully we'll see them together soon. :classic:

Edit: Also look at this link. http://ow.ly/i/HJQX/original

In the Star Wars section, you can see what looks to be like a really cool Ewok Village.

It could be just a MOC, but it would be great as a new set. :wub:

Edited by The Blue Brick

(From the 2012 thread, this one's more relevant now)

Pardon my ignorance, but are those shelf displays purely decorative or do some hint at new sets? The Kashyyyk display looks nice, as does Vader's medical droid and the Trident.

I forget where I read this, but that room pictured is where Lego stores their model prototypes. They keep everything they develop, regardless as to whether or not they produce it as a set. So there is no way to tell if those are simply experimental projects, or something destined for production. Only time will tell. They mat also be alternate or earlier or even more elaborate designs for sets that they ended up making in another way.

The Rancor looks wicked.

Pretty happy with it, there is only so much they could do with the "box" style cave by making it fit under Jabba's Palace and having the gate I am assuming as a playable feature.

Typically we are buying it for the Rancor, not for much more :)

I don't see how a Rancor Pit could be made to look much prettier than what we have here. The mottled colors really suit the cavernous setting IMO, and help it look a little less smooth and "pristine" with their varied textures.

Perhaps with fully-SNOT wall details it could be done in monochrome without losing detail, but as it is it seems about as good as I could imagine at a typical LEGO Star Wars age range and non-exclusive price point.

To me the structure looks like a hollowed out cube, not a subterranean dungeon cave. I wouldn't suggest raising the piece count as I'm sure it's already decently high, and I wouldn't want the cost to go up more. IMO the Hoth Wampa Cave did a much better job of giving the impression of a cave (even if just the entrance) and I'm sure its piece count will be significantly lower than the Rancor pit.

When I think of the Rancor pit scene from RotJ, I think of the trapdoor that opens and drops Luke down a chute and into the pit (Trapdoor - check, though it's in the Palace set which is fine. Chute with closing gate - nope). The big gate in the pit opens and the Rancor enters (Big gate - check). Luke hides in a gap in the rocks and the base of one of the walls, out of reach from the Rancor (spot for Luke to hide from the Rancor - nope). Luke eventually gets picked up by the Rancor, but shoves the bone in its mouth and it then drops him on the sandy floor (Rancor can pick up Luke with a bone - check. Floor of the pit is sand and thus tan would be a suitable colour - nope, the base of the set is a hole in the middle, and grey around the edges). Luke tosses a rock at the switch and the gate closes (Switch - check. Rocks for Luke to throw - nope).

I know they (TLG) want to increase play value by having easy access into the pit and thus have three open sides to the structure. But three open sides!? You need to have a gate on one side, and ideally you'd have a chute on the right side, and something for Luke to hide behind/under on the left side. That would still leave the front open for hands to get in. Even just having two sides open would be ok, as that would allow for the gate plus a rocky wall to give the impression of a dungeon. Those three big arches give the impression that the pit continues on in those directions and that it's almost infinitely big.

As for the colours, it's one of those cases of there being too many colours. I'm seeing both light and dark grey, white, and tan. If it were made up from light and dark grey pieces, cool. I could even handle some tan in there too, because everyone loves tan. But white? Yuck. It reminds me of the original MTT, where there was just a mish-mash of too many coloured bricks.

I know some of the stuff that I mentioned was being way too picky and unrealistic to expect from a system set. But this is one of those extremely rare instances where I am truly underwhelmed with what we're getting. This feels like yet another one of those cases where the design of the main part of the set is being compromised just so that we can get new figures. I know everyone loves figs and will buy anything just to get the figs they want, but sometimes it seems as though those of us who don't value figs as much get stiffed with a lackluster set with a big price tag just so those figs can be made. I'm aware of the whole argument about us being able to build whatever we please because of the variety of pieces available, but on the other hand highly detailed and unique figs can't simply be made my common folk. I don't want to go on about minifigues as I'm already too worked up, and they're beside my original points.

I do not mean to offend anyone, I am merely stating my opinion. I love Lego, just not this set (not yet at least). :classic:

I like the color scheme used and the size and shape. It looks exactly as I would imagine it. The Rancor is amazing and I'm glad it isn't brick built. It would look too out of place next to every other creature out there. The figure line-up makes sense, but I know this set will be really pricey just because of the mold. I do hope it is 50-ish, otherwise it might be hard to get all the sets I want next year. But I guess we will see what else becomes available. I may not want that many since I just got into SW this year.

Oh great set, It does not look too huge so perhaps I can afford it . There are so many good sets coming out it is too hard to keep up.

has everyone taken note of the tips of chubby zookeeper dude's staff (and I really hope he's got a back face that's just bawling and bawling)? looks like low profile clipbars to me!

Ok that is what I was thinking, but then came the tower which would become unstable. Anyways, hopefully we'll see them together soon. :classic:

In the Star Wars section, you can see what looks to be like a really cool Ewok Village.

Looking at that pic a little deeper, there is some interesting stuff there. That large brown thing in he upper right shelf. I know some have said that would be. UCS droid fighter, but I don't think so. Too boxy. That might actually be the TCW slaver ship. A few sets below it is what looks like one of those squid subs and the little sub Obi Wan uses during the TCW Kamino episodes? And finally hat Slave 1 near the middle, does that look more like the young Boba Fett TCW colors of the ship, rather than the OT or PT versions?

Very excited about the Rancor Pit set!

On another note, does anyone happen to know if the tower section of Jabba's Palace has any holes on the bottom similar to what we see in the throne room section? The reason I ask is because with the Rancor Pit under the throne room, the tower won't allow the set to balance as a whole... unless... there's another set under the tower. Seems like a perfect place for a droid dungeon :sweet:

Looking at that pic a little deeper, there is some interesting stuff there. That large brown thing in he upper right shelf. I know some have said that would be. UCS droid fighter, but I don't think so. Too boxy. That might actually be the TCW slaver ship. A few sets below it is what looks like one of those squid subs and the little sub Obi Wan uses during the TCW Kamino episodes? And finally hat Slave 1 near the middle, does that look more like the young Boba Fett TCW colors of the ship, rather than the OT or PT versions?

Fingers crossed that you can drop people from the trapdoor in the Palace!

Eeyup.

-Sci

Just a shame there isn't anything to go beneath the tower.

Oh yea of little faith - I'm sure TLG have a droid torture chamber/dungeon planned for you to buy to complete your Palace at a very (un)reasonable price.

It's a bit hard to tell from this angle but the set doesn't do too much for me. The Rancor looks a little on the small side (not too bad though) but the minifgure line up isn't that great if you already have the Skiff and the Palace (although another Garmorean is always nice). It would have been preferable to me if they'd include a Luke with a hood and cloak to distinguish from the skiff version a bit more.