CamelBoy68

MOC: Octan Fuel Tankers

After building the containers, I thought I'd look at some other rolling stock.

I came across a custom item on eBay and thought that's a good idea :wink: , so here's my take on the Octan tankers.

7535453978_aa20beaa78_d.jpg

The one I saw was based on three parts, which is the same length as the truck version 3180, and had lots of other nice detailing. I felt that this was a little long, so made a more basic version with only 2 sections. I was quite happy with the result and the basic nature keeps the cost down to make multiple versions, as you can see from the pic below.

7535451086_8fbcb864e8_d.jpg

I built a total of 5, although eagle-eyed readers may only spot 4 in the photo - the train was too long to fit in my tent... :angry:

I also wanted to build the truck with just two bogies and initally tried a design with a small turntable mounted between the bogie and base. However, when I ran it along the track they twisted and derailed the wagon, so I reverted to fixed bogies and Robert is your father's brother... :classic:

Is this a trait of single bogie design, as I notice that the bigger trains/wagons have a double bogie arrangement, or is it to do with the overall length of the item...? :sceptic:

As long as the wheel base is not too long, two bogeys work well.

I did something similar, and uploaded the instructions for the 7777 redux contents. Whilst I like the simple design, I also have a few 10016 Tanker wagons, and they just looked out of scale / proportion so mine got sold. I think I had built around 10-12...

I did something similar, and uploaded the instructions for the 7777 redux contents. Whilst I like the simple design, I also have a few 10016 Tanker wagons, and they just looked out of scale / proportion so mine got sold. I think I had built around 10-12...

Nice :classic:

I hadn't come across yours before, the eBay link I found was this.

I looked at bases but decided to attach the bogie directly to the underside of the green containers, as the pins make it quite solid on its own. I do like the colours though, I guess that's why TLG used them in their truck... :classic:

If you're going for a longer car, would something like the attached work?

Your post got me thinking about combining the intermodal car from 7939 and the tank trailer from 3180...

Cheers from Claremore, Oklahoma USA!

Dave

post-29564-13418567502231.jpg

I did something similar, and uploaded the instructions for the 7777 redux contents.

Thanks for that :)

Some time ago I found your pictures and recreated it with the parts of two trucks:

p1070714.jpg

But I didn't make them symmetrical:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5482861

Not enough stickers in the two truck sets,

I found that having the same handle+gauge at both side looked strange,

And I didn't have enough ladders

5 tankers eh? All you need to do now is build a refinery of some sorts and then they will have a home.

PS: That signature...stop the Stig before he multiplies far beyond controllable numbers!

PS: That signature...stop the Stig before he multiplies far beyond controllable numbers!

I fear that it's already too late...... *oh2*

Not bad tankers 'CamelBoy68', I have quite a few of those tops/bottoms spare might make something similar for a railway siding I'm planning for New Mannum. :wink:

Your tankers do lean towards a classic town feel.....Brick On ! :classic:

I also wanted to build the truck with just two bogies and initally tried a design with a small turntable mounted between the bogie and base. However, when I ran it along the track they twisted and derailed the wagon, so I reverted to fixed bogies and Robert is your father's brother... :classic:

Is this a trait of single bogie design, as I notice that the bigger trains/wagons have a double bogie arrangement, or is it to do with the overall length of the item...? :sceptic:

Love these tankers, they're amazing. Tempted to get some parts and make some of my own now, to go with my fleet of road tankers. And a depot they can meet at too. :grin:

To answer your question about the number of axles, it's less to do with the length and more to do with the weight. Railways have a weight limit of how many tons per axle a train can be. Larger wagons are more desirable as you get a better cargo to wagon weight ratio. So you need more axles to stay within the weight limit. For example in the UK we have 2 axle tankers like you've made that carry about 40 tons, and four axle ones more like DaveBey designed that carry 100tons.

Very long but light trains would need two or three axle bogies at each end that swivel independently to be able to get around corners, but i can't think of any trains like that as they generally are interested in carrying the max cargo.

To answer your question about the number of axles, it's less to do with the length and more to do with the weight. Railways have a weight limit of how many tons per axle a train can be. Larger wagons are more desirable as you get a better cargo to wagon weight ratio. So you need more axles to stay within the weight limit. For example in the UK we have 2 axle tankers like you've made that carry about 40 tons, and four axle ones more like DaveBey designed that carry 100tons.

so that would expain why my test platform :hmpf: (a double bogie each end with turntable attached to a small plate....) kept falling off the track.... :sad:

They look great. I wish I had the room to set up my trains. I would love to have at least ten of those tankers all together, just going around my dream lego room. :grin_wub:

I've just put in an order for some of these parts to make 3 short tankers... or perhaps 2 long tankers 6 top and bottom cylinders in total. One thing

I have 2 freight trains (red 9v & Maersk and 2 80's/90's locomotives?, I'm sure these tanks would look ok with these oldschool black trains.

Since getting back into lego last month, I've spent way to much at bricklink.... :(. worst thing is the parts are being delivered to my parents home while i'm living in Shanghai. Time to talk to the company for an internal transfer so i get can get busy with my lego bricks :)

Edited by funkdis

A while ago, after spotting some octan trucks for sale I made the following train cars.

octanwagon.jpg