mrklaw

MOD/MOC: Big Ben extension

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

I grabbed the Big Ben architecture set when it went on sale in the UK, but was always unhappy with the clock face sticking out so much. My first step was to buy another set for parts and make Big Ben four studs wide. This lets the clock face be more flush, but also is a better shape generally I think - the double grilles more accurately matches the real tower.

After that, I wanted to extend it out a bit, at least to the little towers by the River Thames. So I did. Hope you like it, its my first submission here

KdIkV.jpg

CnGVd.jpg

i86j0.jpg

BSeWB.jpg

I'm quite happy with this, but the clock face (with a second hand) is still niggling, so I'm going to try to make a custom tan tile with a graphic someone in the custom forum kindly provided.

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

If the official set was like this, I would consider getting it! Great job! :thumbup:

I really like what you've done with it. And there's still room for expansion :)

Well done mrklaw, it looks great :thumbup:! I need to try this myself with my set!

Terrific job! :thumbup: This is a great improvement over the original set! Too bad TLG didn't release the set like this.

Fantastic improvement. I'd buy your MOC over the official set any day. I've held off on buying that kit because it did such a poor job of capturing the character of the original, but your take on it is just great (I don't suppose you've got a custom instruction book and a parts list hanging around for those of us who'd like to follow in your footsteps :sweet: )

Great MOC/MOD!

I thought the official version was neat, but I wasn't going to get it. If it was designed like this, I would very much put it on my list of sets to get.

I agree, do you have instructions/part list?

Keep up the great work.

If the official set was like this, I would consider getting it! Great job! :thumbup:

Me too. You really did a great job of mimicking the original build and it's a great extension.

Wow, very good indeed. This is what the official set should have been (and without guessing what your piece count is I bet it's low enough that the set would still be affordable).

I think this is excellent I have not bought the London Architecture purely for the reasons that you MODed If the set was Like this (perhaps no river that unfortunately looks a bit odd on its own) I would have bought it :).

It looks a lot better than the original. I really like the real Parlament house architecture, but found the set rather ugly. Your MOC really gives the justice to the orginal. Great work.

Extremely well done. The setting provides the flavour the original set lacks.

The harmonization is really good and of course more complete than the original set. It only miss the little bridge in front of it, a detail!

The harmonization is really good and of course more complete than the original set. It only miss the little bridge in front of it, a detail!

Thanks. Which little bridge? Westminster bridge would be outside of the baseplate, and the steps/arch in front of the tower would be too.

This extension definitely does make Big Ben more realistic. The grills for the detail actually do look better in my opinion. :wink: