Captain Green Hair

MOC: Dutch Tjalk

Hey guys,

I want to share my Dutch Tjalk with you.

Once finished this ship will go in the canals of my Greenville layout.

I was much inspired by the wonderful works of Konajra, to make some other ships.

This type of ship emerged around the second half of the 19th century, the first ones were made from wood.

Around the turn of the 19th century, they would be made out of Iron.

Still many of these ships can be found in Holland, some still are used as professional cargo boats, others as house boats.

There are a variety of Tjalks, this would be a ''Groninger'' type.

My model is an Iron Tjalk, and it is just about minifig scale.

All rigging and yards are functional as you can see in the pictures, so with no further ado:

p1030202.jpg

p1030205.jpg

p1030206.jpg

p1030207.jpg

p1030208.jpg

p1030211.jpg

C&C is much appreciated, especially on my mast and yard system as I think it can be refined.

Thank you for watching!

I had no idea what a tjalk was so I googled it default_tong.gif Will it be having a gank (I have absolutely no idea if this is the technical name for that yard on this ship, I mean this)? Else, how would you attach the spanker sail?

My favourite part: default_wubnew.gif

p1030208.jpg

I like very much all the tiling, it look fantastic. Are you using any ref-pic? I would like to take a look at it if possible default_classic.gif I would point this and that but I am not very sure of how if I am correct, so I'll just point one thing out: if the boom is "locked" in that snotted half-circle it wouldn't allow for much rotation would it? Besides that all the issue is in the masts as you said, I guess: that black cone looks a little off, as the passage between 2 studs wide mast to 1 stud wide. Perhaps using a prefab mast piece is an option? I don't know.

I love it, as if the colourscheme wasn't enough the hull-brick-built-thing is perfect, great shape default_blush.gif

Excellent job of boat building 'Captain Green Hair', wonderful brick-built haul and the finer details as well like 'Frank Brick Wright' pointed out. :classic:

Brick On ! :classic:

It´s really lovely, with some very fine building-skills. The colours are also delightful.

Very nice, although I am not at all familiar with this type of vessel I think it looks excellent.

~Legonardo~

Great colorscheme and I like that you did a brick built hull :thumbup:

Looks like a great display model :classic:

It is a nice model. Well done on the colorscheme and the hull. it has the right shape. great work on the rudder too.

Thanks everyone!

I had no idea what a tjalk was so I googled it default_tong.gif Will it be having a gank (I have absolutely no idea if this is the technical name for that yard on this ship, I mean this)? Else, how would you attach the spanker sail?

Yeas that is the basic system. :wink:

I like very much all the tiling, it look fantastic. Are you using any ref-pic? I would like to take a look at it if possible default_classic.gif I would point this and that but I am not very sure of how if I am correct, so I'll just point one thing out: if the boom is "locked" in that snotted half-circle it wouldn't allow for much rotation would it? Besides that all the issue is in the masts as you said, I guess: that black cone looks a little off, as the passage between 2 studs wide mast to 1 stud wide. Perhaps using a prefab mast piece is an option? I don't know.

I love it, as if the colourscheme wasn't enough the hull-brick-built-thing is perfect, great shape default_blush.gif

I've used many reference pictures and picked the details I liked. So basically this is a ''imaginative'' model.

The boom is locked because it is in resting position. Under sail it would be hoisted just above everything else.

The black cone may look off, but I haven't figured a better way to make the mast yet. It needs to be wood, so a prefab one is no option here.

I could snot it with tiles, but that is so damn not sturdy IMO.

I really like the medium blue + it is somewhat affordable. :sweet:

Thanks again, I'll update when she's finished!

Your vessel is coming along very nicely Cap'n. :thumbup:

I really like the light blue. :wub_drool:

How come there aren't any cannons on this vessel? :pir-grin:

It's too bad these 75535.gif don't come in reddish-brown. I'd prefer those over the 1x1 round bricks stacked on top of each other. :pir-sceptic:

I'm not liking the transition from a 2 stud diameter to a 1 stud on mast. Do you think hockey pucks stacked would look better than the 2x2 cone brick? I really can't think of anything better to use. :pir_bawling:

Your vessel is coming along very nicely Cap'n. pirate_thumbup.gif

I really like the light blue. wub_drool.gif

How come there aren't any cannons on this vessel? pirate_laugh2.gif

Thanks! Cannons were obsolete at that time, the industrial revolution was more important. :grin:

It's too bad these 75535.gif don't come in reddish-brown. I'd prefer those over the 1x1 round bricks stacked on top of each other. pirate_sceptic.gif

What 1x1 round bricks? The one on top of the mast you mean? The rest is all axle joiners.

I'm not liking the transition from a 2 stud diameter to a 1 stud on mast. Do you think hockey pucks stacked would look better than the 2x2 cone brick? I really can't think of anything better to use. pir_bawling.gif

That's actually a great idea, I'll be sure to try it. Thanks!

I agree with Phred, there should be cannons! :laugh: On a serious note, it's looking very good. I like the color scheme of it. And if I can ask, what doesPhred mean on hockey pucks?

...And if I can ask, what doesPhred mean on hockey pucks?

47576.gif :pir-wink:

That is a really beautiful boat! I love it. :classic:

As for the mast, my two cents would be to stack smooth tires on a pin for transition, instead of the cone brick, such as:

30028.jpg?0

6230.gif?0

Kind regards,

Teddy

Seems I never commented on this superb ship.

There are almost no stubs visible, everything is nicely tiled, making the ship look like a very realist model.

Colors, shape of the hull, deck details (the cabin :wub: ) are all spot on as can be expected from someone like Captain Green Hair.

This one would look good in a town layout at some LEGO event :wink:

Did you already finish it by now (add sails to the ship)?

Wow very nice. My bad on being late to the party on this one. Love all the colors and all the tiling. There doesn't seem to be nearly enough town/city boat MOCs on here...maybe I should build one