Hey guys! i was just wondering why there aren't many small models with power functions...

i mean, the biggest part of builders usually create huge and heavy models (often they're awesome) but the problem is that they're not fun to drive...

i've seen videos with a 4x speed and they were still soooo slow :P

id like to know what do you think about it :)

title.png

You should visit the "MOCs" page of Rebrickable.com to see these fine, small Lego Power Functions models WITH INSTRUCTIONS. Here are just a few (click on the images for links):

MOC-0051.jpg MOC-0129.jpg MOC-0011.jpg MOC-0052.jpg

Edited by DLuders

but the problem is that they're not fun to drive...

I would completely disagree!

Anyway, I think there are not as many small rc vehicles because they are hard to make light and compact enough yet still holding a batter box and motors. I have tried to make smaller rc cars in the past but I moved on because I could not get the performance I wanted with a compact frame.

tim

yeah i use to build small models and the difficulty is make everything fit the small scale :P

i just wanted to know if there's someone else that likes and builds small vehicles to exchange some tips :P

at the moment i just finished this buggy

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/411691_3639669704306_1894359611_o.jpg

it's 501g weight and has differential, clutch, return to center steering, suspensions and it goes quite fast :P

in some days i'll post a video about it :)

Edited by Rick
Per the Site Guidelines, please don't embed images over 800 x 600 px

i dont know the english word for it (probably the italian neither lol) but it's that gear that you can find on the rear wheel of a bycicle...it keeps the wheel free to go even if the motor is not running, so you can exploit slopes to gain speed :P

it only has a problem...there's no rear gear lol...i took the idea from a guy who made it on youtube but i compressed it a lot and made it only 4 studs long...it works pretty well

yeah it's hard to find small models on youtube lol!

did u make them? they're really nice!

yes they are from myself

by the way, what is small in your opinion?

Edited by efferman

yeah that size is small :P something like 56x26 wheels for offroad vehicles and those from the lamborghini set for street vehicles :P

anyway something under 1kg of weight

Look at this small moc:

:wink:

Holy frapp! Anyone got the building instructions of that one?!

THAT's a funny thing to have :p It's like a stunt car RC in LEGO.

I think this is EXACTLY what a lot of RC fans are looking for!

Edit: Cancel that, didn't read below the video!

I'm DEFINATELY going to build that :p Maybe even order the loose parts from bricklink so that I don't have to take down those beautiful originals. Anyone interested in a LDD design of this one? It's probably worth to convert the pictures on hid Flickr account to some LDD based building instructions.

Edited by Crazydance

I made some small RC-vehicules, and they come with full building instructions. Main goal with these models was to make them as small as possible as fun to drive around. Pictures are clickable.

wp8f3c03b6_05.jpgwpc2d5c645.pngwpafd16bc8.png

yeah! that's what i meant :) they're awesome...i mean, it's "easy" having all the functions in a big model...having the same functins in a smaller one is tricky

Here's my Scania wrecker truck. I'm not much into Technic and the Technic aesthetic. I more of a system builder. I wanted an RC vehicle on the same scale as my other cars and I wanted it to be built in the same style, with the fact that it is an RC vehicle not obvious from the outside.

4849996676_10608524c3.jpg

Scania R500 recovery truck (2) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

4833800546_e329318b6e.jpg

Power functions wrecker truck chassis WIP by Mad physicist, on Flickr

The end result is not as small as some of the models in this thread, but also not as big as some of the others :laugh: Getting everything to fit inside was tricky.

Cheers,

Ralph

Hello,

Although I'm not a LEGO builder, I built a very small LEGO power Functions receiver. This would enable even smaller builds, (almost) minifigure scale! Check out www.hackvandedam.nl/openlegorc. At this moment I'm working to make a receiver for Mahjqa, but found a bug yesterday evening. Please follow this thread (http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=72332) to see progress if interested!

Hello,

Although I'm not a LEGO builder, I built a very small LEGO power Functions receiver. This would enable even smaller builds, (almost) minifigure scale! Check out www.hackvandedam.nl/openlegorc. At this moment I'm working to make a receiver for Mahjqa, but found a bug yesterday evening. Please follow this thread (http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=72332) to see progress if interested!

You would still have to use official lego motors, right? or am I mistakendefault_sceptic.gif because then you would still need space for those...

edit: ah you can used all the custom servos and motors. Cool!

Edited by z3_2drive

I love to build small RC models, it is a challenge :tongue:

Maybe you wan´t to take a look on my lastest mini-RC-model:

Itis a mini-version of mahjqa´s Stilzkin Igniz :sweet:

7319527904_13027382f7.jpg

Stilzkin Igniz completed

Edited by bricky300