pinioncorp

MOC: Small Red Shunter Train

Ever since the Power Functions components were released, I've been trying to build a shunter similar to the scale of the 9V collection's shunters.

I had some self imposed rules:

• It must be as small as possible.
  • I cannot modify components (Parts, PF electricals)
  • It must have a driver's cabin: you must be able to place a minifig inside.
  • It must have forward facing windows (Driver needs to know where he's going!)

Loosely based off the British Rail Class 08, I've been toying with this for a while now but this is what I've come up with. (Sorry about the bad photography)

37o99.jpg

Driver has standing room inside the cabin. He has to share it with cables, but it's comfortable enough.

Joo0o.jpg

Works well both forward and backward.

qrnzI.jpg

Power button is easily accessed by taping up the tiles on the roof and the entire middle panel comes off. The reciever is in the middle of the cab, with a small slot for recieving signals. Despite its sunken nature, it's still quite responsive.

SN18A.jpg

The battery sits up front, providing its weight to the front wheel. It sits as low as possible by having the motor's bogie pin sit directly into a tube on the bottom of the battery box. The cables of the motor loop around the gap in between.

2Q97y.jpg

I don't see why a set comprised of a small train like this can't be offered for sale at a lower price point. On this model, the only discontinued (irreplaceable) part is the forward facing windows, but a substitute can easily be used by removing the doors.

86BnT.jpg

BptWV.jpg

Thanks for looking. Criticism, name calling and abuse welcome!

I really like what you have done here, especially how you have been able to compress all of the PF components into such a small space, the fact that you have not modified any parts to do it is a big plus with me as I like the challenge of seeing what can be done brick wise. My only suggestion would be to add some stickers to it to add some detail where you can't do it with bricks, overall it's a really nice little build :sweet: .

I :wub: this little shunter.....why Lego doesn't release something like this who knows ! :grin:

The red stands out and even though it's a tight fit for the minifig in the cab.....I :wub: the design all the same ! :grin:

Brick On 'pinioncorp' ! :excited:

I like how in this MOC classic and modern meet each other.

The size of the shunter and the use of old classical windows give the MOC a classical feeling, that is perfectly combined with more modern elements.

The Power Functions elements are well hidden in a small space. Perhaps you could add some tiles and levers above the PF connectors to give the minifig some controls to operate!

I really like this shunter and freight train Pinioncorp. This would certainly make a great little starter set. While the Shunter Loco is nice, the design of your gondola and box/mail car looks really good. These remind me of the old 12V trains by LEGO with a modern spin. Nice job! :thumbup:

I've indexed this under Freight Trains in the MOC Index.

A nice little engine. We seem to be having a few diesel shunters recently, I wonder why, perhaps we have felt them left out for while? Am thinking of doing a type 08 myself next, not quite sure though?

After what ive seen in the past few weeks shunter locomotives are not my cup of tea...I have to admit I love this! Great looking shunter engine and the box cars are brilliant~! Great job very very nice! :thumbup:

Great little engine. I also like the complete train.

Is the small gap sufficient to control the train with the remote?

This is fantastic! I adore every part of it. Indeed, TLG should consider selling small sets like this. I would never have thought a PF engine can be so small.

Even though I'm no fan of diesels in general I have to say your little red diesel shunter is very nicely proportioned indeed. I love the rolling stock too.

Greetings! :classic:

Wonderful design! I would say that this would give the professionals at Lego a run for there money! A small shunter train set would be a hot seller! HINT HINT to Lego :sweet:

That looks nice.

The part of the battery box looks a bit bland but that is inevitable unless you want to use stickers. But the lower part is brilliant. I really like how you detailed the wheels.

Very well done. I also thought about moccing a small loco. But I did not have the idea to integrate the PF receiver into the driver's cabin. Thanks for sharing this one.

Nice little engine. I actually saw a class 8 yesterday in operation whilst held up at some signals on the apporoach to Southampton Station. I have built one myself but It is a little bigger than your shunter. What I really like in your train is the open coal wagon. I need to build a few of these to be pulled by my 0-8-0 black steam engine.

Is a cute shunter, can't beat those the old train doors, Lego should start making them again, or a close replacement... I'm sure they help with the playability (they're primary market, etc.)