Falconer

LOTR Army-building

I am currently on 0 but hopefully I will get 2 helms deep (defenately 1 and if not 2 maybe some urukhai armies) when they are released. I probably won't end up with a big army, I am saving my cash for the hobbit.

Not quite Uruk, but I've just finished completing my army of the Nazgul, including a custom made Witch King.

If someone can tell me how to make my picture a smaller number of pixels because of the error "This file was too big for upload", then I'd be happy to attach a photo of it.

Better upload it on somewhere like Flickr or Brickshelf and give a link.

Ya, I am a little surprised Lego used the halberds with the Uruk-hai. I would think they would of used something more polearm like, such as this, or even these spears. Some crossbows also would of been nice, if nothing else for variation. All well, all in all I am really happy with how the Uruk-hai turned out. I personally hope they move on in the next few waves and start doing some of the different factions as figures that we haven't seen yet and leave the Uruk-hai alone for awhile.

As of right now I have 7 Uruk-hai Army sets, 3 Helm's Deep, and 3 Orc Forges. I am keeping 1 of each in the box and am debating on taking back 1 of the Helm's Deep sets. That leaves me with a little over 30 opened Uruk-Hai. I plan on getting a couple polybags when they are released and at least 3 more Uruk-hai Army sets if/when they go on sale. Who knows though, if they get really cheap I could easily see myself buying 5 or 6 more of those, I just love them so much!

Edited by Deathleech

I'm waiting for the polybags to come out. As of now, if I wanted to collect an army of roughly 30 Uruk Hai via Bricklink, I would be shelling out $114, just for the figures, and the Uruk swords are about $1 each on BL, so that brings the total to $154...If I just bought Uruk-Hai army sets, I would end up spending $300 :oh: ! Just too much money. Of course, the problem with Lego is that you can never have enough.

~Dwarf

I really enjoy the discussions here. As an avid army collector it is nice to see others as into it as I am. To add a little more variety I always add standard bearers and musicians/drummers to my ranks. I usually add a leader with unique weapons or a cape as well. The saddest thing in the release of LOTR LEGO for me so far has been the lack of a standard or flag for Saruman's armies. A white hand on one of those vertical hanging flags would have been great to include.

I agree to get a decent sized army right now you have to buy multiples of the Uruk hai army set. However, I am truly hoping for battle packs at some point. I already have a decent sized (36) uruk army but alas I am looking for a lot of orcs and Uruks. I am hoping in the thousands eventually. Battle packs or chess sets will be necessary to pull this off. I just don't need that much brick any more. My collection of brick is moving towards a million parts and is getting increasingly difficult to store.

I decided I want to create the scene of Boromir's death - one of my favorite scenes - where he has fallen and there's a boatload of dead Uruk-hai... but man, that'll get expensive. Just to get Boromir, I'd need to buy Mines of Moria unless I BL him. And of course a few Uruk-hai armies to get some corpses... well ok, I suppose for a small vignette even just on army set would suffice. Ugh. Fun thing with the Uruk-hai armies is that the Finnish price is nearly 20 cents per piece for it. Looks like it and any other LOTR sets will have to be ordered from Germany... default_wacko.gif Will see when I can actually afford any of 'em.

Edited by tvih

I'm waiting for the polybags to come out. As of now, if I wanted to collect an army of roughly 30 Uruk Hai via Bricklink, I would be shelling out $114, just for the figures, and the Uruk swords are about $1 each on BL, so that brings the total to $154...If I just bought Uruk-Hai army sets, I would end up spending $300 :oh: ! Just too much money. Of course, the problem with Lego is that you can never have enough.

~Dwarf

I think Bricklink would actually be a little bit cheaper and you could get more variety there. Right now the fully armored minifigs are going for $3.75 while the ones with the helmet or hair only are about $3.15. For 15 full armored and 15 of the hair/helmet only figs you are looking to spend $103.50 on BL. The halberds are only 0.10 cents a pop so that's another 3 bucks for 30 of them (that's what you get in the poly, no sword or shield). That puts the total at $106.50. If you wanted nothing but fully armored Uruk-hai you could get 30 for $115.50 off BL. Add in 5-10 bucks for shipping.

To put that in perspective 30 Uruk polybags are gonna run you at least $120 to $150 +tax depending if you get them for 4 or 5 bucks. Of course you get some brick pieces as well to build the bolt thrower with the polybag, but I doubt many people really care about that. Of course the best deal is the Uruk-Hai Army set, but unfortunately after a couple you don't really need or want the walls/catapult anymore and those both really drive up the price, as does the horse, Rohan soldier, and Eomer (who you might not be interested in).

Hmm… That sounds right…

However, I *think* the hair is incompatible with the breastplate. Which puts us down to 60 combinations.

I know in the video he was counting the two face options, but personally I think the two face options only really matter with the hair. So I would say there are really only 36 combinations.

Right, the hair does not allow you to use the breastplate as it comes down too long and close in the back.

Also I don't think the poly with the Uruk-hai and ballista is the most effective way of building an army with maximum different combinations. You only get a single Uruk-hai with helmet and chest armor and a halberd. That's only 1x helmet option, 1x weapon, 2x face, and 2x chest for a total of 4 possible outcomes. With the Uruk-hai Army set you get 2x helm, 2x head, 2x chest, and 4x weapon (axe, axe + shield, sword, sword + shield) for a total of 24 possibilities. Not to mention the Uruk-hai Army set just seems like a way better deal overall.

I will post a pic but I put the hair on my Lurtz with the breast plate and it doesnt sit flush like with out breast plate but doesnt look messed up either. I have been looking through all the hair pieces I have to find another one that would look appropriate with the uruk-hai

Edited by legomonk

I will post a pic but I put the hair on my Lurtz with the breast plate and it doesnt sit flush like with out breast plate but doesnt look messed up either. I have been looking through all the hair pieces I have to find another one that would look appropriate with the uruk-hai

I dunno how you got it to stay, mine keeps popping off.

I thought about Crossbows first when I saw the final sets. I'll use kettle hats for my crossbow men, because it is close by the helmets as seen in the film.

crossbowman.jpg

I was also disaffected with the halberds. I think, this is the easiest solution for Uruk-Hai pikemen:

pikemen.jpg

Edited by Jacob Nion

I thought about Crossbows first when I saw the final sets. I'll use kettle hats for my crossbow men, because it is close by the helmets as seen in the film.

I was also disaffected with the halberds. I think, this is the easiest solution for Uruk-Hai pikemen:

I really like that idea I also think that the dark bluish grey spear piece that was so prominent in fantasy era would make a great spear too.

Edited by LuxorV
Do not quote images from the same page. Thank you.

Nice polearm! Simple but effective. I dunno if I am crazy about the helm on your crossbowmen, I think the standard helm the Uruk-hai come with is fine. Here is a picture for referance:

CrossbowUruk-Hai.JPG

Btw, what is that orc head you used for the pikeman pointing his pike towards the camera? It looks like a yellowish/orange head.. too yellow to be Lurtz but too orange to be a Mordor Orc? Unless the lightning is just making it look off.

Edited by Deathleech

I dunno if I am crazy about the helm on your crossbowmen, I think the standard helm the Uruk-hai come with is fine.

Even if the TLC helmet works fine, I wanted a visualized difference between crossbow men and hand-to-hand Uruks. There are enough possibilities that everyone finds the perfect solution for himself =)

Btw, what is that orc head you used for the pikeman pointing his pike towards the camera? It looks like a yellowish/orange head.. too yellow to be Lurtz but too orange to be a Mordor Orc? Unless the lightning is just making it look off.

It's a Yeoman Zombie. Very useful to "stretch" the Uruk-Hai army.

Edited by Jacob Nion

I dunno how you got it to stay, mine keeps popping off.

been a while but here is some pics. Hair stays on pretty well

photo3-2.jpg

photo4-2.jpg

and here is my Fighting Uruk-hai. Still have my battle at hemlsdeep to open (gf says I cant till I clean the garge)

photo5-2.jpg

THEY HAVE A CAVE TROLL!

has anyone considered add these guys to your evil LOTR army?

I thought this guy might make a great blacksmith for the baddies

poczombie2.jpg

this guy just looks sorta goblin like

poczombie.jpg

Edited by legomonk

Sorry to dig this up but I was wondering if anyone knew the best way to increase a mrdor orc army?

The best way would be to wait till the spring. From the looks of what we are in for in the next wave, two sets have two new armored Mordor orcs each. It would be much better to build up an armored Mordor army than to have a bunch of the worker orcs. But if you are really desperate and don't care about the armored orcs, I'd guess Bricklink would be the best place. I've never used it, and I'm not sure what the prices for Mordor orcs would be like on there, bu it's likely your best place to get a bunch of orcs.

But if you are really desperate and don't care about the armored orcs, I'd guess Bricklink would be the best place. I've never used it, and I'm not sure what the prices for Mordor orcs would be like on there, but it's likely your best place to get a bunch of orcs.

On Bricklink, the orcs with hair are about $6.50, and the hairless orcs are about $4.00. It makes no sense that hair should cost an extra $2 more. There's a keychain of the Mordor Orc with hair for sale at LEGO stores and on LEGO.com, so that's a better option.