Sign in to follow this  
Aitoruco

MOC: Renfe 251 Class

RENFE 251 series is a series of Japanese-made electric locomotives for RENFE planned in the early 1970s, was known in his time as "high-powered locomotive" or affectionately "or Japanese locomotive and a half and half" because its size. In his time the locomotives were larger and more powerful in Europe. Strangely Spain was the first European nation to import Japanese railway equipment.

locomotora2510048.jpg

By aitoruco at 2012-06-04

renfe2511.jpg

renfe2515.jpg

renfe2513.jpg

renfe2514.jpg

Thanks for posting this nice MOC. I really admire all MOCers doing this:

picking a subject, finding pictures, thinking colour scheme and so forth.

I like your colour scheme. Is it correct the train is 7 studs wide?

I do not want to sound negative, but I think the proportions around the middle

are a bit strange. I found this picture:

251_foto_2.jpg.

It looks like all 7 middle windows are equally wide, but not on your model.

You probably want to compensate for the width of the motor block which is too wide, but

maybe it is better not to? If you have modelled in LDD, try to make all 7 middle

windows the same and check the overall look...

Edited by harnbak

Thank you for the reply. The only problem with the size are the wheels, they´re too small for the engine anda TLG haven´t any wheel for this size (except steam engine wheels). and yes, is a 7 wide locomotive

Thank you for the reply. The only problem with the size are the wheels, they´re too small for the engine anda TLG haven´t any wheel for this size (except steam engine wheels). and yes, is a 7 wide locomotive

To be honest I find it a bit too long... for the proportions. Instead, I would build the grill bricks using SNOT: 90 degrees to vertical, placed on top of a single tile. If you add two sets of grill bricks together you can reduce the overall width and it will look more realistic. Have a look at the nose of the BR1020 below.

7234835022_27ed8b86f1.jpg

BR1020 PF: MOD of 4551 Side view by roamingstudio, on Flickr

I find the nose quite well done given the attempted shape and the train overall looks good. I may have gone with the rills sideways though as suggested, but generally it looks similar to the real one so good job.

I have been looking at this though and images of the real train and have to ask as I just cannot work it out. With three sets of wheels like that how does it handle corners? Not just your version, but as I said the real one as well, it does not look articulated and seems very long?

I have been looking at this though and images of the real train and have to ask as I just cannot work it out. With three sets of wheels like that how does it handle corners? Not just your version, but as I said the real one as well, it does not look articulated and seems very long?

Hello Hrw-Amen

The central bogie sets are able move sideways so the locomotive is able to negotiate curves, this wheel arrangement is used in a large number of Japanese electric freight locomotive designs that have been built for the JR network as well as for the export market, the Swiss have also used this wheel arrangement in the Re 6/6 Class built for the SBB.

Hello Hrw-Amen

The central bogie sets are able move sideways so the locomotive is able to negotiate curves, this wheel arrangement is used in a large number of Japanese electric freight locomotive designs that have been built for the JR network as well as for the export market, the Swiss have also used this wheel arrangement in the Re 6/6 Class built for the SBB.

Thanks. I do not think I have come across that wheel arrangement before, not in the UK anyway. I should have thought of it though as it is exactly what I am playing with right now for a three axle tender that would not fit the LEGO curves. I guess I just considered that something we did to get by in a model with tight rails to negotiate rather than a real world solution. You learn something every day.

Thanks. I do not think I have come across that wheel arrangement before, not in the UK anyway. I should have thought of it though as it is exactly what I am playing with right now for a three axle tender that would not fit the LEGO curves. I guess I just considered that something we did to get by in a model with tight rails to negotiate rather than a real world solution. You learn something every day.

We have one loco with that wheel arrangement (technically called bo-bo-bo) in the UK. They are the engines that haul lorry and car trains through the channel tunnel. They can only run in the channel tunnel terminal though, so are only just in the UK. And a bit in France too.