Sign in to follow this  
SheepEater

Have you ever met adult toy collectors who...

Have you ever met an adult toy collector/hobbyist who hated Lego because it was too kiddie or cartoonish?

I used to work with a guy who was a hard core Star Wars toy collector, but never gave Lego a second thought because he thought minifigs looked ridiculous with that stud on their head when they have nothing on it. :oh3:

I also met old grumpy train guys who refused to even consider Lego trains as a real hobby.

What I like to remind these people is that no matter how more mature or life-like looking their toys are, they're still toys :classic:

Oh yes, but they are a minority in my experience.

I've displayed models at events for model builders in general, both in the UK as a member of Brickish, at Brighton Modelworld for instance, and in the Netherlands with builders from LowLUG. Other people there would have train layouts, dolls houses, scale models of trucks and cranes, RC cars etc. They're generally a friendly bunch who are amazed at the sort of things we do with what's essentially a children's toy. Of course, there are exceptions, who don't mind telling us that we're not 'proper model builders' like themselves. I can't help thinking there's a bit of envy involved. The organisers at Brighton love us and always seem to give us a nice prominent spot for our layout because we're one of their show's big crowdpleasers.

Cheers,

Ralph

This happens.

But there are also Lego fans who are dismissive of other toys and hobbies. There's even Lego fans who are dismissive of some things other Lego fans do that they don't like. Some people are just like that.

Well, large Lego sculptures (ie: stuff made of nothing but basic bricks) bore the heck out of me, but I'm not dismissive of it - just not interested.

What annoys me though is when people find out about my hobby, they immediately bring up "did you know about this guy who made a huge XXXX out of Lego" and 9 times out of 10 it's a Lego sculpture. I realize they are doing this out of politeness, or to try to bond with me, and I appreciate it, but I have to point out that I like DETAILED and INTRICATE Lego creations. Either small scale with minifigs and a huge array of different small parts, or anything Technic/Mindstorms. Lego sculptures aren't intricate.

I respect those who make them, but it has little to do with what interests me.

And although I'm not really into Star Wars, that Darth Vader Sail Barge posted on the main page left me in awe; it was such a detailed, intricate marvel, and full of humour. So when I happen to see my local newspaper with a photo of some guy who made a big Lego statue with basic bricks my reaction is a big "MEH!"

Edited by SheepEater

Yes I have. It was my writing teacher for my previous semester. He said he actually preferred the Mega Bloks figures because he thought they were more detailed and because he didn't like to build the sets they came with. Meanwhile during class he was explaining how he's been to really shady parts of Georgia just for a few action figures. Worst part is, I showed him a picture of some of the Gunpla I build and he asked if they're pose able. I then promptly gave him a "b**** please" look. That being said, he was a good teacher as the class was a writing class focused on gaming( at a tech and engineering school, you'd have to figure out a pretty good gimmick to get a majority of the students to write) and because of the class I can proudly say that I've been to Dave and Buster's for a school field trip.

Don't a fair amount of AFOLs don't like LEGO Star Wars: Clone Wars, LEGO Cars, and LEGO Toy Story because it's "too cartoonish"? :look:

Well, large Lego sculptures (ie: stuff made of nothing but basic bricks) bore the heck out of me, but I'm not dismissive of it - just not interested.

What annoys me though is when people find out about my hobby, they immediately bring up "did you know about this guy who made a huge XXXX out of Lego" and 9 times out of 10 it's a Lego sculpture. I realize they are doing this out of politeness, or to try to bond with me, and I appreciate it, but I have to point out that I like DETAILED and INTRICATE Lego creations. Either small scale with minifigs and a huge array of different small parts, or anything Technic/Mindstorms. Lego sculptures aren't intricate.

I respect those who make them, but it has little to do with what interests me.

And although I'm not really into Star Wars, that Darth Vader Sail Barge posted on the main page left me in awe; it was such a detailed, intricate marvel, and full of humour. So when I happen to see my local newspaper with a photo of some guy who made a big Lego statue with basic bricks my reaction is a big "MEH!"

I don't think it's fair to call big sculptures that use JUST 2x4 bricks not intricate or detailed. I'm sure you've heard of Nathan Sawaya. If not, check him out and tell me that's not detail. :classic:

I find it hard to explain myself when it comes to this topic... it's detailed, yes, but not in the way I like. It's detailed in the same way a sculptor using clay would create his statues. It's just not a medium I appreciate. To me Lego is so much more than just basic bricks.

Don't a fair amount of AFOLs don't like LEGO Star Wars: Clone Wars, LEGO Cars, and LEGO Toy Story because it's "too cartoonish"? :look:

Don't forget Spongebob! :tongue: