I was poking around in another topic and found this post:

http://www.eurobrick...50#entry1462322

I would like to know how to just add the mirrored texture to the base plane, and perhaps learn at a later time add ceilings

In that post a HDR image was used. And a simple reflective floor without texture.

In this post I showed how to easily add custom reusable floor to LDD2POVray. You can make it more reflective. I can post some examples with more reflective floor. But HDR images you will have to create or download from available free source.

Edited by hrontos

I've been toying around with the reflective floor, but for some reason it's just not working. PovRay keeps complaining about "Parse Error: End of file reached but #end expected. "

Now I think there are some things missing from the code you posted, but I'm not sure (=n00b).. The translate command for the normal was

translate *100

so I'm guessing that is incomplete? I changed it to

translate z*100

but with no confidence. I also noticed the while loop and that nothing in the loop seems dependent on the iteration number of parameter "S". Anyone know what is going on?

Below is the code I tried to use as baseplane.

plane { y, min_extent(ldd_model).y
   texture {
       average
       texture_map {
               #declare Ind = 0;
               #declare S = seed(0);
               #while(Ind < 40) // higher number of iterations=less artifacts
                   [1
                   pigment { ldd_colors[1] }
                   finish {
                       ambient 0
                       #if (version>=3.7)
                           emission 0
                       #end
                       diffuse 0.2
                       brilliance 1
                       phong 0.0 phong_size 20
                       specular 0.0
                       roughness 1
                       reflection { 1 }
                       conserve_energy
                       }
                   normal {
                       bumps 0.1 // smaller value = less blured reflection
                       translate z*100
                       scale 0.001 // scale it small(0.001) or big(1000)
                       }
                   ]
                   #declare Ind = Ind+1;
               #end
               }
       }
   no_reflection
}

I was playing around with the custom decoration tab in the converter program:

Edited by Calabar
: Oversized Image converted in text link. Maximum size allowed is 800x600.

I know some of the transparent materials aren't fully supported yet or some such - trans orange seems to come out opaque, not sure about others.

I used trans-orange, so that's somewhat of a relief.

I've been toying around with the reflective floor, but for some reason it's just not working. PovRay keeps complaining about "Parse Error: End of file reached but #end expected. "

Now I think there are some things missing from the code you posted, but I'm not sure (=n00b).. The translate command for the normal was

translate *100

so I'm guessing that is incomplete? I changed it to

translate z*100

but with no confidence. I also noticed the while loop and that nothing in the loop seems dependent on the iteration number of parameter "S". Anyone know what is going on?

Thank you for trying. It looks like forum removed some special combinations of characters so the code did not make sense.

Once again:

plane { y, min_extent(ldd_model).y
 texture {
  average
  texture_map {
   #declare Ind = 0;
   #declare S = seed(0);
   #while(Ind < 40) // higher number of iterations=less artifacts
	[1
	 pigment { ldd_colors[1] }
	 finish {
	   ambient 0
	   #if (version>=3.7)
		emission 0
	   #end
	   diffuse 0.2
	   brilliance 1
	   phong 0.0 phong_size 20
	   specular 0.0
	   roughness 1 
	   reflection { 1 }
	   conserve_energy
	 }
	 normal {
	   bumps 0.05 // smaller value = less blured reflection
	   translate < rand(S), rand(S), rand(S) >*100
	   scale 0.001 // scale it small(0.001) or big(1000)
	 }
	]
	#declare Ind = Ind+1;
   #end
  }
 }	 
 no_reflection
}

Thank you for trying. It looks like forum removed some special combinations of characters so the code did not make sense.

Thanks hrontos! It works like a charm now: I offer this little Serenity model as proof :classic: Took about 16 hours to render (on a i7 930), but it's well worth it. I reduced the number of iteration in the floor definition to 10. Seems to work quite well.

8385654465_06c15cf67a.jpg

Micro-scale Serenity by Krispy's brick stuff, on Flickr

I offer this little Serenity model as proof :classic:

Could you share the lxf file, pleeeeeease? :grin:

I love the model, I'd like to build it in real bricks.

Because of the point of view of your render, it looks a bit like some kind of optical illusion at first glance :laugh:

Sorry for the double post but I'd just like to ask for recommendations on what is the optimum PC specs recommended for POV-Ray rendering. Currently, I'm using Intel Core i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10 GHz, 2.00 GB RAM (1.84GB usable) and it takes forever to finish even simple renders (my last render above took ~48 hours :sceptic: ) and if I'm unluck my laptop crashes in the middle of a render. What specs should I look for just in a PC/laptop just in case I purchase one with POV-Ray rendering in mind? Thanks! :classic:

Well, there's not really a minimum, but it's more like more=faster. So, the amount of cores in the processor, the GB ram etc. (well, not really etc, these are the most important ones :grin: ).

I have a quad core 3GHz and 8 GB of ram, it's still slow, but I think I have some sort of a general "minimum".

I also think a normal desktop pc would be better for rendering then a laptop, but I'm not sure...

I'm not really an expert, so I hope this helps :wink:

Well, there's not really a minimum, but it's more like more=faster. So, the amount of cores in the processor, the GB ram etc. (well, not really etc, these are the most important ones :grin: ).

Yes, number of cores and frequency matters. RAM has an influence on maximum size of model. Graphics chip is not important.

I also think a normal desktop pc would be better for rendering then a laptop, but I'm not sure...

I can confirm this. I use notebook and it has problems with cooling during rendering. I had to reduce maximum CPU frequency to 85%. It works also at 100%, but when I do something else and integrated graphics will start heating, it will overheat and whole machine shuts down. So due to cooling, the desktop is better. The only advantage of ntbk is the battery when there is some power interruption. But render can be restarted and continues, so it is not that important.

Thanks for the suggestion guys! Still contemplating whether I should get the proper desktop PC which is more appropriate for 3D rendering or still choose the versatility/mobility of a laptop, but good to get some idea on the minimum specs. :classic:

Just finished another render, this time one of my most favorite MOCs I've seen, vynsane's award-winning Phoenix Fireball:8416500558_40b4c08df6_c.jpg

Render stats: 15 hrs 27 mins @ 512x314, No AA

Link to original MOC:

So, stupid question time: is there a way to reduce how glossy the bricks are in the render? I don't mind most of the reflections, but (for my specific purpose) I'd prefer the reflections to be blurrier (i.e. less like a mirror). On a similar note, is there a way to make POV-ray ignore objects that are behind the camera?

(For specifics, I built a model on a baseplate, and since it's a "cutaway" shot of a building, I'd like there to not be a reflection of the baseplate on the front edge of the set, if that's possible without expert-level programming skills.)

So, stupid question time: is there a way to reduce how glossy the bricks are in the render? I don't mind most of the reflections, but (for my specific purpose) I'd prefer the reflections to be blurrier (i.e. less like a mirror).

I believe you can. You'll have to use custom material properties (more on this here). The downside is that the help pages on custom material properties are yet to be written... (but it is possible)
On a similar note, is there a way to make POV-ray ignore objects that are behind the camera?

(For specifics, I built a model on a baseplate, and since it's a "cutaway" shot of a building, I'd like there to not be a reflection of the baseplate on the front edge of the set, if that's possible without expert-level programming skills.)

You should move your baseplate then. If it's not in the shot, Pov-Ray won't render it. If it is in the shot (reflections and refractions count) it will be rendered. So to get what you want, you'll have to move your baseplate; there's no way around it.

Just finished another render, this time one of my most favorite MOCs I've seen, vynsane's award-winning Phoenix Fireball

HA, that was a surprise! As I said, on Flickr, it's an honor to be rendered - thanks, KielDaMan!

Meanwhile, I was rendering my version of Nabii's really cool Counterblast Mech from the LEGO Adventure Book:

8417026722_0ba142731d_z.jpg

Counterblast Mech, Galaxy Patrol Spec by vynsane, on Flickr

Here's my first try at rendering two shipping containers, they're based on the shipping containers in the 7905 City Construction set and are compatible too. It's a shame it took me an hour and forty minutes to render, I would have thought it would be quicker at the size it was rendered at.

8399975436_073b3b4eac_o.png

So, how exactly do I use the HDR light rendering mentioned at the bottom of Page 13? I see info on tweaking the .ini file, but not where in the file to put things, or if I need to do something straight from the converter.

My desktop is a dual XEON X5650, and that gives me a total of 12 cores, 24 processes with hyperthreading. it takes my very little time on simple design. Right now I'm doing one that has almost 20k total bricks with lots of transparent elements. Current progress: 72% completed after 2 days and 15 hours. It would have taken a cheap Walmart junk computer around 3 weeks at 24/7 to finish the same thing.

I should warn you, using XEON (or Option from AMD) and multi-CPU board can get rather expensive and it's more for people who needs power. I do a lot of 3D rendering so I can use mine. But when I play a game on my desktop, it's like having a Formula-1 engine on a push mower... too much power. :laugh:

If you have the money to burn and really want powerful computer, look up Intel socket 1567. Very expensive but you get 10-core CPU and support for 4 or 8 CPU to a single motherboard. That would make Tim Allen envious. :tongue:

I should warn you, using XEON (or Option from AMD) and multi-CPU board can get rather expensive and it's more for people who needs power. I do a lot of 3D rendering so I can use mine. But when I play a game on my desktop, it's like having a Formula-1 engine on a push mower... too much power. :laugh:

Just imagine how that would look like! :laugh_hard: