2 hours ago, The Mugbearer said:

The converter works directly with LDD's DB outputting a list of OBJ files.

My fault, I mean the importer.
Anyway, you answered my question, this requires extra work compared to simply importing the lxf file.

Maybe it is possible to find a compromise, automating part of the manual work: at first you import the missing bricks, later you use lxf2ldr to convert the model and at last you import the ldr model into stud.io.

Edited by Calabar

FWIW, as of the last official update of the new LDD parts, there’s 85 parts for which there’s no LDraw models (at least that I could find).  (Out of ca. 627 custom parts.)

Edited by SylvainLS

4 hours ago, Calabar said:

Maybe it is possible to find a compromise, automating part of the manual work: at first you import the missing bricks, later you use lxf2ldr to convert the model and at last you import the ldr model into stud.io.

Or we can share the .obj files with the Stud.Io developers so they can add them in officially?

58 minutes ago, The Mugbearer said:

Or we can share the .obj files with the Stud.Io developers so they can add them in officially?

That’s not how new parts are added to Studio.

First, the Studio team doesn’t model parts, they add collision and connectivity info to parts in the LDraw format.  And the official sources for those parts are, in order of preference:

1. The LDraw Official Library.
  2. LDraw Unofficial parts.
  3. Models from TLG (still in LDraw format) (just a few are in Studio).

Studio knows other parts.  A lot of them are raw conversions from LDD to LDraw, but they generaly miss connectivity info (they are mainly there to allow importing LDD models).  There’s also decorated parts that are not in LDraw but use the base LDraw model with a texture map.

You may want to read this thread on the Studio forum that talks about the Parts repository which is the semi-official way to submit parts to Studio.

So I'm getting the impression that there's nothing I, personally, can do about this, at least until after someone much more experienced with the nittier, grittier aspects of this stuff than I am does something else about it first. Is that correct?