And here are a few more final renders of sets... Some of these take quite a long time to complete, even with "normal" radiosity settings!

01_-_sparta_image_a_final_small.png

In this one, all of the parts are printed during the render, and I just used photoshop to adjust the contrast and vibrancy overall.

(This is the army building set. It also has a War-Elephant, battle standards, and a variety of artillery.)

06_-_celts_image_a_final_small.png

Here again, all of the shields are printed automatically during the render. I only had to photoshop in the flat banner printing.

(This one fits right in with Classic Castle and LOTR. There is also a fort and an elephant-mounted-ballista.)

07_-_babylon_image_a_final_small.png

The translucent-dark-blue and translucent-dark-azure tiles didn't catch any reflections at this angle, so I added highlights in photoshop.

(This one also includes a Greek-Fire Helepolis siege tower, four-horse chariot, and Alexander the Great's cavalry.)

08_-_vikings_image_a_final_small.png

This one is a still a "work in progress", but it came out really nicely so far. I just had to add in the black runes over the golden pillars in photoshop. The giants are still just photo cut-outs, and their hammers are still in LDD. This one is definitely the longest render so far... It calculated for over 36 hours to get all of those multiple overlapping transparencies in the portal and in the staircase... and that was just on the "fast" radiosity setting!

And there is lots more, so if you think these set a good standard for real Lego sets, then come and support to an up-and-coming project today!

Thanks again!

therealindy

Edited by The Real Indiana Jones

I'm still getting error:

Preset INI file is 'C:\USERS\LION.O\DOCUMENTS\POV-RAY\V3.7\INI\QUICKRES.INI', section is '[1024x768, No AA]'.
Preset source file is 'C:\Users\Lion.O\Desktop\turntable7.pov'.
Rendering with 24 threads.
Parser Options
 Input file: C:\Users\Lion.O\Desktop\turntable7.pov
 Remove bounds........On
 Split unions.........Off
 Library paths:
   \\.\LDDIncludes
   C:\Users\Lion.O\Documents\POV-Ray\v3.7\include
   C:\Windows\Fonts
 Clock value:    0.000  (Animation off)
Image Output Options
 Image resolution.....1024 by 768 (rows 1 to 768, columns 1 to 1024).
 Output file..........C:\Users\Lion.O\Desktop\turntable7.png, 24 bpp PNG
 Dithering............Off
 Graphic display......On  (gamma: sRGB)
 Mosaic preview.......Off
 Continued trace......Off
Information Output Options
 All Streams to console..........On
 Debug Stream to console.........On
 Fatal Stream to console.........On
 Render Stream to console........On
 Statistics Stream to console....On
 Warning Stream to console.......On
Possible Parse Error: Cannot find file 'ldd_colors_declarations.bin', even after trying to append file type extension.
-
"\\.\LDDIncludes\ldd_default_colors.inc" line 20: Parse Error: Cannot open include file ldd_colors_declarations.bin.
Render failed
-
CPU time used: kernel 0.05 seconds, user 0.03 seconds, total 0.08 seconds.
Elapsed time 0.36 seconds.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've tried to reset both LDD to POV and POV to default. The only change was that POV-Ray was updated to 3.7.0.RC7 I got a backlog of a few LDD project to render and my laptop is slow as molasses compared to my dual XEON rig.

I did not get that setup screen since LDD to POV wasn't changed, only POV-Ray was. I checked the settings in LDD to POV converter and it matches exactly.

I tried again, and it seems to be working now. Maybe it was a fluke that required me to open the settings to get it to re-stick when it is passed to POV-Ray?

EDIT: maybe solved? When I had LDD to POV save the converted file to desktop, POV-Ray fails to work but if I leave the file inside LEGO directory within document (where LDD stores by default), it works. It almost looks like POV-Ray is having some trouble accessing the original LDD file?

Just means I'd have to check the directory once in a while to clean out old POV and INI files rather than cleaning right off the desktop.

Edited by Lego Otaku

I did not get that setup screen since LDD to POV wasn't changed, only POV-Ray was. I checked the settings in LDD to POV converter and it matches exactly.

I tried again, and it seems to be working now. Maybe it was a fluke that required me to open the settings to get it to re-stick when it is passed to POV-Ray?

EDIT: maybe solved? When I had LDD to POV save the converted file to desktop, POV-Ray fails to work but if I leave the file inside LEGO directory within document (where LDD stores by default), it works. It almost looks like POV-Ray is having some trouble accessing the original LDD file?

Just means I'd have to check the directory once in a while to clean out old POV and INI files rather than cleaning right off the desktop.

Ah, well I am glad it is working for you!

Yeah, just let it save the rendering files to wherever it wants, and you can always copy the PNG images to a different folder afterwards.

From instruction by Sava:

north_pole_2.jpg

Original image at 1920x1200, took 9 and 1/2 hours to complete using 24 processes of my dual XEON rig. 57 4x3 transparent windows, 14 2x3 door windows, a few transparent bricks, and a few 1x2x2 transparent panels, a few 1x1 round transparent plates, plus transparent flame element on top of the car. Yes I am picking up parts to assemble the real one, about 2,700 pieces total. Spent $100 on the first half so far.

Guess what movie this train may have been from! Hint: the Hero is wearing blue robe over yellow pajama the whole movie.

Жаль, что здесь нет русских (( Половину текста не понимаю

This is an English speaking site, please only post in English.

Это - английское место разговора, пожалуйста только объявите на английском языке.

Hi to all,

I think I need some help. Many month ago, I managed to make this using LLDtoPOVray:

rct_-_sub_sandwich_stall_small.png

Where the chrome surface on the roof looks pretty neat. Now, I lost the ability to reproduce it. :classic: In theory it is titanium metallic, but in my present attempts it is just to dull. What to change? I remember that I didn't alter anything in the .pov file manually, so it had to be some settings in the LDDtoPOVray program. But what is it?

I just realize that spotlight can be made also (I stuck with the area light till now)

So I made this quick rendering to practise.

mime_2.png

(In a TV show some years ago one said that the definition of the chanson: A Frenchman stands alone on the stage, and he is sad. So here he is)

Edited by Yooha

Hi, does anyone know a good program that can take a flat image and make it look glossy and polished and rounded, similar to an icon on an iPhone screen?

I think there are a few programs that can take a flat company logo and transform it into a glossy icon like that. POV-Ray can't do it quite right!

I want to take shield graphics like these and make them all look fully-rounded, similar to the purple Egyptian eye shield shown here.

prototype_shield_designs_03.jpg

Edited by The Real Indiana Jones

I went to try and render an LDD file, but I keep getting this error: "#include "ldd_colors_declarations.bin" It's been so long since I installed the software I may have to go back and re-install it, but I'd rather not if I don't have to. What am I doing wrong?

Here one of the renders i've been working on the last few weeks.

Rendering on 1900x1020 took almost two days.

Not bad eh?

Nice!

I thought that a 4 hours render considers to be long, but I see that I was wrong. :laugh:

I went to try and render an LDD file, but I keep getting this error: "#include "ldd_colors_declarations.bin" It's been so long since I installed the software I may have to go back and re-install it, but I'd rather not if I don't have to. What am I doing wrong?

Try keeping the files in the same directory as the original LDD files? It worked for me when I ran into this problem after updating POV-Ray. I just need to remember to go back and delete temporary files after rendering is done.

And 2 days? What are you using? On my computer most render is done in a few hours top. This one:

north_pole_2.jpg

took about 8 hours only because there were almost 150 transparent elements total to render. The train is based on Sava's North Pole Limited instruction he sells on Bricklink, and the minifig and fire on top is supposed to hint the movie the train is actually based on.

I got the same problem some days ago. I had been able to make succesful renders for a few weeks, and suddenly the program refused to make some more.

When trying to find the problem, I noticed that I had never before entered the Library_Path=\\.\LDDIncludes in the main file. Then how was I able to make all those previous renders? :wacko:

Anyhow, after a while I noticed the in the bottom right corner of the LDD2Povray-window, the message "Driver not installed" was displayed, instead of "Service is running".

I tried several thing to fix this, but reinstalling (of LDD2PovRay) was the only thing that worked. Strange.

This helped me, I hope it can help you too.

Anyhow, after a while I noticed the in the bottom right corner of the LDD2Povray-window, the message "Driver not installed" was displayed, instead of "Service is running".

I tried several thing to fix this, but reinstalling (of LDD2PovRay) was the only thing that worked. Strange.

Mine says "CBFS Driver (ver 3.2.110.277) installed, service is running". That's odd, to say the least.

Try keeping the files in the same directory as the original LDD files? It worked for me when I ran into this problem after updating POV-Ray. I just need to remember to go back and delete temporary files after rendering is done.

My .lxf and .pov files share the same folder. Once I'm done rendering, if I make any changes, I'll re-generate the .pov file - it doesn't take more than a minute, max.

At this point, I am suspecting a clean install of both POV-Ray and the converter will do the trick. I'll hold off until more information comes through, as I really don't want to if I don't have to.

I like those two bikes with added scenery. :thumbup:

Technic models take longer to render, because technic beams need more bevels for each hole.

Two weeks ago POV-Ray made a final release of version 3.7 and for this version latest version of LDD2POVRay is necessary.

Hi to all!

Maybe this is not strictly the subject of this topic, and maybe it would worth a completely new one, depending on the responses. What am I talking about:

I see admiringly the MOCs presented here – or in other topics – that are made by some 3D rendering software, mainly with LDD2PovRay. And I am always curious, how they are made, with what settings, and how long does it take to made them with a certain PC configuration. Sometimes it takes only 15-30 minutes to make one for me, sometimes it takes hours, even though I don’t see such a big difference in the models (brick count or overall site). Maybe there are some combinations of settings, a particular feature of the model which makes the rendering longer, and which are to be avoided if possible to shorten the rendering. Maybe there are some trick for it. So, how about sharing the information, how long our renderings last with a certain setting, and sharing the experience if a particular part takes longer than expected. If there is a already topic for it, or it worth a separate thread, please let me know also.

What I know – and a lot of you know I’m sure – is that transparent pieces are more difficult to render. A few day ago, I tried to make a torch using this and this, the latter in transparent, and it took ages! Is it more difficult, when there are several parts that are very close to the transparent part? Because it took quite longer that a “normal” transparent part.

Another issue: the more edges a part have, the longer it takes to render. Parts like this take forever! And in overall, foliage is a rendering nightmare.

The 3rd thing is the strangest to me. Where a usually big plate lies on the base – so on the ground – the part where the plate touches the ground takes so much time to render. Why is that? It seems the most simple part. When it is a roof, it’s quite fast, but like here the cool yellow baseplate took hours to render, even more then the transparent part. Can it be avoided somehow?

And now for the settings: I use LDD2PovRay, nowadays with the 2nd type of render (which is slower) the quality is phase 8, so no radiosity, the resolution is 800x600, and I have a double cored processor with 2 GB RAM. The above linked render took some 4 hours. Is it slow? Is it fast? Can it be made faster? How about you?

Edited by Yooha

I have a dual core and it takes hours to render. My son has an 8 core. It renders about 3 times faster than my dual core. I am not sure if 32 vs 64 bit makes a big difference. I do the LDD on my machine and use his machine to render when he is not using it over night.

I haven't played much with the settings other than the resolution.

@Yooha

About your the technical questions, I leave the word to those who are more experienced than me.

About tricks to make renders faster, I can suggest you to read bbqqq trick here.

He split the rendering in three lighter "sub-renderings", and then merge them with an Image Editing software that supports Alpha Layers.

The result is usualy very close to the complete rendering.

Edited by Calabar

About tricks to make renders faster, I can suggest you to read bbqqq trick here.

Oh, this seems to be a very useful tip, thanks! I will try it (the no antialias->resize and the layers as well)