Sign in to follow this  
Surly

62.4 x 20S Scale Trucks

I have seen some unbelievably good trucks in 62.4 x 20S scale or about 1:17 by the likes of Sariel, 2legoornot2lego, Bricksonwheels to name just 3.

It would be great if they and any of the many others could share their tips on trucks in this scale be it studded, studless or a mix.

cheers

Surly

I really like this topic :thumbup: , I prefer a share approach rather then being asked for instructions... :classic:

First of all be your self and don't try to be someone else. With this I mean be inspired by great builders like Bricksonwheels and Sariel and so many many others, but don't just copy. Go your own way like Fleedwood Mac for example sang about.

One is allowed to share, but also allowed not to share. To be honest I am someone that loves to build and I don't want to share my spare time on answering all kinds of questions in for example emails. Not that I am not kind, like I wrote I do like to build...that is what I love doing. This would change if building and advising would be my daytime job, but it never came that far... :wink:

Alright, that said I do like to share some thoughts:

I personally don't think studless or not. To me this would be a limitation which I do not prefer. For me it is like I go with the flow, I start building, thinking, designing and use what ever part is available.

A) What I do is I tackle "problems" maybe I can better use the word challenges. For example I ran into this part one day Lego part 32307. What I notice is that with Lego part 4510 I was able to create a sliding system. I did not use it right away, but after about three years I used it as a sliding system on this model I build:

pict2968.jpg

B) On most models I build I mainly used Technic Bricks and System, not only, but mainly. I use what ever part suites the job, again a challenge occur and I start thinking OK what part can I use. That is what I would like to challenge people to.

The model of the Bell B30D articulated dump truck I build some time ago is a very nice example of mixing all styles. It holds SNOT solutions, I used Technic Bricks, System, Technic Liftarms. All parts are welcome and all different approaches are used. Again, no limitation set for my self, just have fun... :wink:

pictadt1.jpg

This'll do for now I guess...

Kindest wishes, Ingmar Spijkhoven (2LegoOrNot2Lego)...

I've recently made a truck in that scale, greatly inspired by the models of 2LegoOrNot2Lego.

One thing I've learned is to have patience. Like Ingmar said, you'll run into problems like motorizing or getting good stabilizers (if you build a crane). Take your time to solve these and it'll pay of :wink:.

For example, not the scale your asking for but that doesn't matter. Right now I'm working on a "mini" scale version of the 8110 Unimog. The build started 10 months ago and it still isn't finished.

Another example, it took me 5 months to complete this beast:

6817212735_3fc9260abe_z.jpg

what do you all exactly mean for studless guys?

Here's an example of "Studded" style of Lego Technic construction (using Technic BRICKS and plates):

1340208333m_DISPLAY.jpg

Here's an example of "Studless" style (using Technic LIFTARMS and Technic Panels):

1340424815m_SPLASH.jpg

@ Surly: Have you seen Sariel's "Scaling Tutorial for Vehicles"? It's got some great tips. :thumbup:

DLuders I had read it previously but it was definitely worth a revisit.

The more I look the more amazing trucks I find in this scale.

Thanks for all the other replies...keep them coming.

cheers

Surly

Here's an example of "Studded" style of Lego Technic construction (using Technic BRICKS and plates):

Here's an example of "Studless" style (using Technic LIFTARMS and Technic Panels):

ah thanks dude :D i got it :P

Hi Surly,

I just build and build again the model Im currently trying to build has been taken apart at least six times! this afternoon I gave up again! - think this truck will need to wait until my inspiration comes back.

I find having a few projects at the same time can help. I normally start one and put it to one side when I get stuck then I come back to it later, sometimes years later. I currently have 3 models on the go and I might start a forth later default_classic.gif

I always take pictures of my failed projects to help me in case I want to restart them - this speeds up the process of the next one.