SWMAN

Civil and Revolutionary War Sets

Would anybody be interested in sets for a Civil War theme as well as a Revolutionary War theme. I have always thought these would be perfect themes to make, because of the huge possibilites for sets and new people. Anybody have set ideas.

It would be very interesting, although probably difficult to pull off for these reasons:

1. It's a war theme. And while Lego does endorse "Star Wars", it's fantasy/sci-fi, so it's more acceptable

2. It wouldn't really appeal to an international audience as much as, say, a general Castle theme would. While Western was particularly lucky in that it appealed to a number of international buyers, it really wasn't that successful, and when compared to other lines, did poorly in the market, I believe.

3. It would have to use real names, and therefore would probably be made of fleshies (even though it's not a license). Also, the number of sets would really be limited. A few ships, bunkers, and battlefields. It really doesn't have the potential for a long-lasting line, Western had more potential in that area, and was still cut short.

4. Any time there's a war, it's dangerous territory for marketing. For instance, we all know the North won. Sets glorifying this would not sell well in the southern US (and lets face it, the Confederates would most likely be made to be the "bad guys" of the sets anyway).

Overall I think it's a good idea, but impossible as a line :-/ I think this, or something similar to this was discussed before, actually.

P.S. Sorry this sounds a little negative, it isn't meant to :-)

This thread talks alot about Revolutionary War Sets and some civil war too. 4J brought up some very good pionts, wars and marketing schemes don't mix to well. Lego would want to generalize the armies so it appears to be just any army of the time period, as Lego has never been very attentive to historical accuracy. There always needs to be a definite "bad guy", just black and white, very biased neutrallity.

And I believe the sets of a civil war theme will be very limited because Lego has already used many potential ideas in the Western theme.

I too think it is great idea but unfortunatley will never happen and it is better off that way.

I would be very interested in this kind of sets.

But I'm afraid that Lego will never make them...

I would love to see Revolutionary War sets and to a lesser extent Civil War sets. I'd love to see George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, Paul Revere done in Lego. We could also have sets of Independence Hall, Valley Forge, Continental Congress. Though I'm not sure how well they would sell.

To avoid the whole war thing, Lego could do a History line. They could make small ~$10-$20 (storyteller style) sets of great moments in history. Could do Cornwallis surrendering to Washington. Ben Franklin with the Kite. Paul Revere's ride. Boston Tea Party. Then the next year they could do another country's history.

Steve

I would love to see Revolutionary War sets and to a lesser extent Civil War sets. I'd love to see George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, Paul Revere done in Lego. We could also have sets of Independence Hall, Valley Forge, Continental Congress. Though I'm not sure how well they would sell.

To avoid the whole war thing, Lego could do a History line. They could make small ~$10-$20 (storyteller style) sets of great moments in history. Could do Cornwallis surrendering to Washington. Ben Franklin with the Kite. Paul Revere's ride. Boston Tea Party. Then the next year they could do another country's history.

Steve

Good idea. What is Lego's biggest market? I imagine that would be the first country they would do.

Lego have never touched specific countries (Since the very old style flags) and I doubt they ever will again. Even the soldiers we have are generic (not the french/british debate). History can be very subjective and controversial, so probably doesn't make the best 'toy'. Beside the idealized lego history of nice pirates, smiling peasants in castles, etc has worked very well...

God Bless,

Nathan

Would anybody be interested in sets for a Civil War theme as well as a Revolutionary War theme. I have always thought these would be perfect themes to make, because of the huge possibilites for sets and new people. Anybody have set ideas.

I've wanted a Civil War theme for years, esp. Confederate troops. Playmobil offered blues and greys but Lego never jumped on the wagon!

Here's a shot of my very limited collection:

dsc00001a.jpg

i think it would be better to do a general theme like pirates, but based on two mythical empires (like the blue and the red Imperials) that could be generalized by the players. No good guy bad guy, just Risk like.
likewise, i like that LEGO never called the calvary in the WW theme, Union. it places the theme more into a fictional world... like a highly over-romantasized version of US history.

but i admit, im more of a fantasy than historical accuracy kind of guy

- BrickMiner

Do I want a civil war theme?Of course I do!Over the years I've thought of several ideas for some sets.Including set and minifig ideas.I've just never took the time to write it down.

Lego have never touched specific countries (Since the very old style flags) and I doubt they ever will again.

Well they did manage two Statues of Liberty a while back, and the Ninja sets always screamed Japan to me. Now we know we're also getting an Eiffel Tower.....

It's not totally impossible....I'd love American Revolution sets, but I think the Western sets is sufficent for the American Civil War stuff.

WOOT! First post. Any how, I like the idea of a civil war theme. At least the battle of Glorietta Pass (I'm New Mexican, stop criticizing my patriotism)

I love the idea of that, but it would be impossible to avoid controversy, even with the "safest" historic characters. But the idea of historic vignettes is a great one. I wonder if any kids would want to buy them? :)

It would be very interesting, although probably difficult to pull off for these reasons:

1. It's a war theme. And while Lego does endorse "Star Wars", it's fantasy/sci-fi, so it's more acceptable

2. It wouldn't really appeal to an international audience as much as, say, a general Castle theme would. While Western was particularly lucky in that it appealed to a number of international buyers, it really wasn't that successful, and when compared to other lines, did poorly in the market, I believe.

3. It would have to use real names, and therefore would probably be made of fleshies (even though it's not a license). Also, the number of sets would really be limited. A few ships, bunkers, and battlefields. It really doesn't have the potential for a long-lasting line, Western had more potential in that area, and was still cut short.

4. Any time there's a war, it's dangerous territory for marketing. For instance, we all know the North won. Sets glorifying this would not sell well in the southern US (and lets face it, the Confederates would most likely be made to be the "bad guys" of the sets anyway).

Overall I think it's a good idea, but impossible as a line :-/ I think this, or something similar to this was discussed before, actually.

P.S. Sorry this sounds a little negative, it isn't meant to :-)

i am going to have to agree with starwars4J he has some good points {especialy about the fleshies :-X } but i also think that the revolutionary war would sell great in the US i don't know about britain. But civil war would be really dangerous territory since thats still a very controversial issue today so great idea but just a very small market

Good Idea but before anyone posts things like this...

Think LEGO in this day and age only focus on things children like. Over time since the 90s children want more Sci-fi stuff and Town stuff. No on cares for our good ol' themes like Pirates and Classic castle...

Now they are making Castles that have a crap structure and have "new amazing catapults!" *sad*

Im afraid LEGO wont make these.. :'-(

No on cares for our good ol' themes like Pirates and Classic castle...

I don't know. I think these would sell well if they would be released.

I think Lego could possibly get away with a revolutionary and civil war theme. They could release historic theme sets showing historic scenes and people exclusively for a country. That way they could show things without taking sides and offending anyone.

I'd wouldn't really like to see American civil war sets particularly for several reasons. Firstly Like Satrwars4j and several other members have pointed out, I cannot see a big international market for one countries war. Secondly, generally in Lego, their are a good faction, who exist to bring peace to the world and a bad faction, that is evil and wants money or power (Lego pirates, Castle Skellies), however for the American Civil war their would have to be two good sides, which is different to previous themes, and probably wouldn't really fit to well, unless TLC made one side the bad guys!

But the English Civil war, now their a theme Lego could do.... :-P X-D

I naturally assume we are talking about the American War of Independence and the American Civil War... Civil and revolutionary is otherwise a little vague.

It would be nice to see but it wouldn't happen for a few very good reasons. A - it's too close to the Pirates and Western themes which can be very easily modified with the parts available to reflect those wars.

B - It's too political and as Lego have avoided making any national-identifiable sets then they won't start now. The Imperials in pirates were just that - imperials, not French, Spanish or British etc. The Nazi's and Soviets in the Indy stuff don't really seem to be particularly German or Soviet in identification although we know that's exactly what they are.

I think the whole idea of making a theme based on actually history is far to dangerous for Lego to try. The best you can get is a romanticised version of a few time periods, which don

well, it's not too hard to reproduce on your own. afterall, with the new indy theme there are bley kepis and bley MFs to form the confederates. add the vanilla union soldiers from the western theme and you're done.

similarly i think the independence war will be similar. the ordinary civilian soldiers can be formed using the western civilian MFs and the british the red coats from the pirates theme.

it can be kinda pricy though buying stuff from BL, especially for the discontinued sets. but i guess we all know by now that TLC only caters to kids which are their target group. any AFOL projects will need to be completed through the BL network. :-D

Hey, oo7, you posted my old thread! ;-)

But, yeah, as I realized after posting my thread suggesting this kind of line a while ago, REAL war themes from any age probably won't ever be made by lego. Castle and Pirate kits only were made because they weren't based on any actual events, just the folklore and stories surounding them. ;-)

I really like Athos' idea, though. A lego history event theme would be really cool. I'd particulary like to see a lego Thanksgiving feast at Plymouth, with new indian and Pilgrim minifigs, plus of course a ton of lego food and other acessories. :-)

As cool as it would be to see Lego make Civil War sets, I doubt they would ever become a reality. While I know that there are many American Civil War enthusiasts throughout the world, there aren't enough to make to much of an international demand for such sets. It is pretty region specific, whereas something like World War I and World War II have broader appeal.

I disagree with any ethical concerns over making such sets though. For one, Lego made native Americans and the Cavalry figs. Now that is a very touchy subject, considering what went on back then between the two subjects in real life. So I really don't get how making Confederate troops would be any more offensive. There seems to be this overly-romanticized view of the North, but a lot of people fail to realize that racism was just as strong in the North as the South at the time of the war. The big difference was that the North modernized with the industrial revolution moreso than the South, and therefor no longer needed to keep slavery. So really, I see nothing wrong with producing military kits for either side. It's not like there would be a plantation set. But again probably not gonna happen.

But with the original Wild West cavalry figs, along with the custom Confederate decals, you don't need official sets. Just buy a lot of medium blue pants and accessories. Lego Bespin guard torsos make great Zouave uniforms, and for special regiments you can find Keppis on bricklink in other colors, like red, tan, and dark blue.

Revolutionary war, again, has somewhat limited appeal. But I could see Lego making UCS sets for famous buildings and icons such as Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell.

I'd love to see Revolutionary War sets, but very limited. Mainly things like the House signing the Declaration of Inependence (Woot! Great way for Lego to make quite a few different torsos of 18th century clothng [possibly, multiple colors foe each design) and a powdered wig sculpt. If they ever decided to make Revolutionary War war sets, then they could make detailed torsoes of American Soldiers and British Soldiers, as well as powdered wigs with Ticornes on them. They might also make Napoleonic War sets, making the sides equal in all sets (Waterloo features 5 Allied Line Infantry, 5 French Line Infantry, 2 British Dragoons and the Duke of Wellington, and France has 2 Curaissiers and Napoleon (still not fair, as Napoleon's hat on the battle feild is worth 10,000 men on the battle feild :-P). The Battle of Austerlitz features ... etc.

Even then, if you make Civil War sets, use the same formula, and release it primarily in North America, with Europeans+ others having the ability to order it from a catalog, if it strikes their fancy.

Edited by Norrington

The biggest hurddle for something like this is probably the limited demand. First of all, it requires a love of history. Secondly; it cators to a very specific demographic (the US history buff). Those two factors make me suspect that such a line simply wouldn't work. As I understand things, the Wild West theme didn't sell that well. Now if the Wild West theme didn't have the appeal to continue, then I can't for the life of me imagine something such as an American Civil War set doing very well.

Perhaps a better way of looking at it would be to ask American fans if they would snatch up English Civil War sets? While a few builders might say yes, I suspect that the overwhelming majority would pass on such a line for the likes of Castle, Star Wars, Town or any number of other lines. Unless you're interested in the English Civil War, such sets would undoubtedly seem like a complete waste. I know that an Oliver Cromwell minifig isn't exactly a 'must have' item for me.