LEGO Train 12 Volts

MOC: Big Boy X4023

As previously mentioned, my personal production of BR locomotives was paused but not the planning of steam locomotives! :wink:

The Big Boy couldn’t miss in my collection so I built a replica of Jayhurst's model because I think is the best Lego conversion of this iconic steam engine. :wub:

bigboy-001.jpg

bigboy-005.jpg

Since Easter I have been involved in the creation of this goliath to give my tribute to the American railroads.

My model is a little bit different from Jayhurst’s master copy because this version has lights, the cab has rear doors and the arrangement of the tubes near the boiler is more similar to the real thing (from my point of view). :tongue:

bigboy-002.jpg

bigboy-003.jpg

bigboy-023.jpg

bigboy-016.jpg

bigboy-011.jpg

Big Boy histoty & technical data

The Union Pacific wanted a locomotive that could pull a 3.600 ton train unassisted over the 1.14% grade of the Wahsatch.

The designers determined that to pull a 3.600 ton train, a tractive effort of 135.000 lbs would be needed. Assuming a factor of adhesion of 4,0 the weight on drivers would have to be 4,0 x 135.000 = 540.000 lbs. Given an axle loading of 67.500 lbs each, this would require 8 drivers or an x-8-8-x wheel arrangement. The designers agreed upon the 4-8-8-4 design. Next, the horsepower and cylinder sizes were computed based on 300 psi boiler pressure. Although they weren't planning to pull these freight trains at 80 MPH, the Department of Research and Mechanical Standards designed them for 80 MPH in order to have a sufficient factor of safety built into the design. What resulted is considered by many to be the most successful articulated steam locomotive ever built. :excited:

bigboy-029.jpg

bigboy-036.jpg

My Big Boy respects original proportions and is inspired to the exemplar 4023 in Kenefick Park, Omaha Nebraska.

The locomotive is powered by 4 PF medium motors hidden in the boiler.

In the tenders are placed the battery pack for the motors and a 9 volts battery to power lights

It has been a challenge assemble the front light but it wasn’t a waste of time: I am satisfied with the final result!

Now enjoy the show :laugh:

bigboy-006.jpg

bigboy-007.jpg

bigboy-008.jpg

bigboy-009.jpg

bigboy-010.jpg

bigboy-012.jpg

bigboy-013.jpg

bigboy-014.jpg

bigboy-015.jpg

bigboy-017.jpg

bigboy-018.jpg

bigboy-019.jpg

bigboy-020.jpg

bigboy-021.jpg

bigboy-022.jpg

bigboy-024.jpg

bigboy-025.jpg

bigboy-026.jpg

bigboy-027.jpg

bigboy-028.jpg

bigboy-030.jpg

bigboy-031.jpg

bigboy-032.jpg

bigboy-033.jpg

bigboy-034.jpg

bigboy-035.jpg

bigboy-037.jpg

bigboy-038.jpg

bigboy-039.jpg

bigboy-040.jpg

bigboy-041.jpg

bigboy-042.jpg

bigboy-043.jpg

bigboy-044.jpg

bigboy-045.jpg

bigboy-046.jpg

bigboy-047.jpg

bigboy-048.jpg

bigboy-049.jpg

bigboy-050.jpg

bigboy-051.jpg

During the weekend I hope to post more pictures and may be a video.

WOW!!! That is a nice Loco! I've always loved to see your models! I wonder how long this took you?!?! Does it go as fast as most other steam locos with all those motors? I always think you have the best ways of hiding the PF motors, receivers, Battery boxes! I guess that is more instructions :wink: . Also what is that program you use?

Looking Good! Rail Co

very beautiful model

what you see on the real loco

sits on your model

Edited by patje

It's a beautiful model. When I was contemplating posting this compliment, my mind kept on repeating "but will it blend?"

I was wondering if it actually goes round the turns on standard Lego track, y'see. I thought of asking this whilst partway down. "Does it turn?" became "Does it bend?" and this mutated into "will it blend?"

Sometimes, I think I need help. :tongue:

Fantastic build LT12V! This is a wonderfully detailed build of my favorite steam loco. It's massive compared to the Santa Fe! Very well done default_classic.gif

WOW!!! That is a nice Loco! I've always loved to see your models! I wonder how long this took you?!?! Does it go as fast as most other steam locos with all those motors? I always think you have the best ways of hiding the PF motors, receivers, Battery boxes! I guess that is more instructions :wink: . Also what is that program you use?

Looking Good! Rail Co

Thanks Rail Co, your words are very encouraging, I still feel little respect to the real MOC expert :classic:

very beautiful model

what you see on the real loco

sits on your model

Thnaks patje soon I'll post new pictures :sweet:

It's a beautiful model. When I was contemplating posting this compliment, my mind kept on repeating "but will it blend?"

I was wondering if it actually goes round the turns on standard Lego track, y'see. I thought of asking this whilst partway down. "Does it turn?" became "Does it bend?" and this mutated into "will it blend?"

Sometimes, I think I need help. :tongue:

The Big Boy run on the standrad track ...this is one of the first construction specifications :wink:

Fantastic build LT12V! This is a wonderfully detailed build of my favorite steam loco. It's massive compared to the Santa Fe! Very well done default_classic.gif

Thanks Lego Guy Bri! :blush:

You didn't happen to create instructions along the way did you? :grin:

Alas, excellent job! Looks amazing!

Any idea of what this cost you in parts to build?

LEGO Train 12 Volts ... great work!

And again credits to Jayhurst who inspired us all with this fantastic Big Boy.

Adding front and back light is great. A very nice extra for this outstanding model. Back in 2010 I also build myself a copy of Jayhurst's Big Boy - thanks to his flickr gallery it was not such a problem but still a challenge.

I added 10 US style waggons to get a really nice long freight train: http://www.holgermatthes.de/bricks/en/us-freight-train.php

While building my copy of this Big Boy I struggled a bit with the front rack build with 1x2 grill tiles attached at the front axle truck. Could you post some detail pictures how you solved this? Mine are just inline, the little V-shape is missing.

Again, great work!

Holger

The train is absolutely stunning! Great detail, and the size comparison just shows how HUGE it really is. :thumbup:

AWESOME engine 'LT12V' :grin: , I have a friend who is also working on a Big Boy design himself.....the same one who built the 520 I showed off for him at Railshow 2011.

The question is how it goes round curves ? :look:

Brick On 'LT12V' ! :sweet:

Look at:

Lego Big Boy Mechanicals

Original designer of this MOC Jayhurst found a very intelligent solution to make this monster compatible with LEGO curves and switches.

Holger

You didn't happen to create instructions along the way did you? :grin:

Alas, excellent job! Looks amazing!

Any idea of what this cost you in parts to build?

I have my own instructions on MLCad, the parts are about 2000 ...don't know the cost because I already had some pieces (for new orders I've spent over $ 300) :grin:

Adding front and back light is great. A very nice extra for this outstanding model. Back in 2010 I also build myself a copy of Jayhurst's Big Boy

Again, great work!

Holger

Thanks HoMa and congratulations for your work! :wink:

What a brute!

Yeah, this is the reason why I love this giant! :laugh:

The train is absolutely stunning! Great detail, and the size comparison just shows how HUGE it really is. :thumbup:

This model: locomotive + tender is 80 cm long

AWESOME engine 'LT12V' :grin: , I have a friend who is also working on a Big Boy design himself.....the same one who built the 520 I showed off for him at Railshow 2011.

Brick On 'LT12V' ! :sweet:

Thanks for the compliments Tiger, I'll post a video to show how this Goliath run over the curves and switches! :wink:

Edited by LEGO Train 12 Volts

This is really good and to see it working on the video is a bonus. I'd love to have one myself, maybe one day!

Excellent Model!!

No word to say how much beautiful is that!

Only one question : with my experience with EN, i have problem with no flat railway,

i try to explain,when i place my EN(4-8-4) pf,the 8 wheels in the center have the motor,and when it run on a diorama,

the rail have to be perfectly in line;

if in a junction the rail goin up or down the 2 free wheels touch,and the 8 wheels stay up from the rail,and the motor run free because the wheels don't touch.

The Engine is not flexible,touch the free wheels in front or in the rear of the engine and the motorized wheels don't touch.

How you solve this problem...(if you have understand what i mean?)

Well done my friend, well done. The Big Boy is a very challenging build, and you chose a very good source of inspiration. The working lights are just icing on the cake of an already gorgeous MOC. I plan to build another articulated someday, but I'm thinking a Yellowstone for me.

So if you're building off of other people's designs, when will you attempt an Allegheny? ;)

--Tony

Excellent Model!!

No word to say how much beautiful is that!

The working lights are just icing on the cake of an already gorgeous MOC.

--Tony

Thank you very much for the compliments guys! :blush:

I want those instructions badly.

If you notice your house has been robbed and the only thing missing is your Big Boy, I did it I'll be sorry for your loss.

Lego Trains 12 Volts,

I applaud your work here. However, I have an inquiry about this locomotive regarding articulation. Does this locomotive, when traveling around sharp turns, swing the front end about like a Mallet-style articulated locomotive as on the real X4023?

Lego Trains 12 Volts,

I applaud your work here. However, I have an inquiry about this locomotive regarding articulation. Does this locomotive, when traveling around sharp turns, swing the front end about like a Mallet-style articulated locomotive as on the real X4023?

Of course she does ...I will post a video sooner or later! :wink:

Thanks for compliments

Edited by LEGO Train 12 Volts

Hello,

Would it be possible for you to send me the Ldraw file for this. I would like to use it as a basis for a UP Challenger.

Thanks in advance