Sign in to follow this  
Hrw-Amen

MOC: British Railways Type 01 Diesel Shunter

type_01_diesel_shunter_03.jpgtype_01_diesel_shunter_02.jpg

I have recently been working on a new engine for my railway collection. I wanted a small shunting loco that I could use with various goods wagons. I also wanted to do something in the style of British Rail as it was when I was young. I did contemplate doing a small steam engine and that is still an option, but after doing some research decided on a diesel instead as it appeared that it could be built around the existing train motor set up.

I have looked at many and in the end decided to start at the beginning so as to speak and so went for the Type 01 shunter. Obviously it is not the first ever diesel shunter made, but you get the drift. It was quite hard to find good pictures of them actually as I guess they were quite boring and usually out of the way in depots where they were not photographed a lot.

Anyway I am quite pleased with how it turned out and it certainly runs a lot better than I anticipated it would. The only thing I would say is that i think it would have been better to scale if it were a brick lower in height, but after much fiddling with the electrics to get it to fit that was the lowest I could get it. I have been working on it for a while now to get it to this stage so I am thinking it will have to do.

The thing I like most about it is that I managed to reproduce the yellow and black stripes at the front and rear. These went through several versions until I got the current one. The engine is a 7 stud wide build (Like most of the ones I have done myself.) apart from the buffer beam which is 8 studs. This is simply to make it fit better with the photos I did find of these little engines. I found some of them in the old BR Green and even black, but liked the blue better so went with that.

I am thinking about making a Type 02 to go with it (Maybe in green.) as they are pretty similar on the face of it to look at and it would be a challenge to get the differences into something about the same size. But I am still thinking about it.

Here is the Brickshelf Gallery: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=506394

Here if the flickr Gallery:

(It has more write up on it.)

Excellent shunter 'Hrw-Amen', wonderfully detailed and looks perfect for a British shunting yard ! :grin:

Brick On 'Hrw-Amen' ! :classic:

Thanks for the comments.

I have been looking over some photos of the Type 02 tonight. I think a lot of what has gone into the Type 01 can be used although I note that the main difference seems to be that the cab is open at the rear rather than having side doors. Also the engine compartment seems to have access hatches for which I think I can use the shutters of the type used on the LEGO windows. I have lots of these in green if I go with that colour, or some in black and bley if I decide to go that route. The motor is here and I have a battery box I can use so just awaiting an IR controller and lights.

I have run both my Type 01 and Type 02 shunters around a small loop in my living room. It is only a little circuit I put up to check they were working OK so nothing special, but here they are if you are interested.

I have run both my Type 01 and Type 02 shunters around a small loop in my living room. It is only a little circuit I put up to check they were working OK so nothing special, but here they are if you are interested.

Looks good on the move, wish I had that many wagons

Looks good on the move, wish I had that many wagons

Sorry, I made those wagons myself, except for the two Octan cars. I plan to make some more box cars and flatbeds as I like them. I am thinking the green flatbeds look a bit army style for transporting various military equipment. Should go well with he green type 02 diesel. These seem to be the type of engines you get on smaller military lines anyway.