Superkalle

Google Chrome - Build with LEGO

As part of the 50th anniversary of the LEGO brick in Australia, Google Australia and New Zealand is releasing a Chrome Experiment. So now you can claim your land in these two countries...and cover it with bricks.

This is what Google writes:

Build may look simple, but this collaborative 3D building experience would not have been possible a couple of years ago. It shows how far browser technology has come and how the web is an amazing platform for creativity. We made the bricks with WebGL, which enables powerful 3D graphics right in the browser and demonstrates the upper limit of current WebGL graphics performance. We then mixed in Google Maps (another Aussie invention) so you can put your creation in a LEGO world alongside everyone else’s.

Read more here and here

Try it here (you need Chrome)

Discuss it here

BuildWithChrome.jpg

This seems to be a good concept but unfortunatly ive been unable to used it on google chrome has anyone else been having trouble trying to use it

I just made a little house. :classic:

I think the idea is good, but the the program van be really annoying sometimes. :angry:

Missing possibility to save work in progress will limit the builds to small ones, but when they will add this feature it will be nice to see opera house really in Sydney or Eifel's tower in Paris later.

This seems to be a good concept but unfortunatly ive been unable to used it on google chrome has anyone else been having trouble trying to use it

Sometimes the platform to build on doesn´t appear. I´ve found the builder works with Firefox, too, though.

I´m amazed by what is possible with your web browser without any additional plugins today. Impressive.

-Gata signoff.jpg

Awesome! good to see Lego still thinks about us :sweet:

i've made 2 displays, on the finger wharf at wooloomooloo, next to the navy base

I had a play with the BuildWithChrome website yesterday. There is a very limited colour palette, and very limited set of pieces that can be used. You can only use 1000 pieces in total, and you can't use any SNOT techniques. There's no undo feature, so you have to be careful when deleting pieces, and there is no ability to re-edit your model after you save it.

Anyway, here is the result of my build (I ended up using all 1000 pieces):

http://www.buildwithchrome.com/build/B7V7

00000053.jpg

It is a build of Popes Eye (which is a SCUBA diving site in Melbourne/Port Phillip Bay). I've added some wildlife (orange fish, grey sharks, red crayfish, and white birds in the sky), a boat, and if you pan around a little bit you can see a sign in the sky.

Unfortunately you can't pan around like you can in the editor, so it might be hard to see the rock formations below the water line and the other details I put in there.

Edited by Splat

I had a play with the BuildWithChrome website yesterday. There is a very limited colour palette, and very limited set of pieces that can be used. You can only use 1000 pieces in total, and you can't use any SNOT techniques. There's no undo feature, so you have to be careful when deleting pieces, and there is no ability to re-edit your model after you save it.

There is an undo button. Well, button...

Anyway, you have to press [CTRL]+[Z] on your keyboard to undo, but there isn't a redo.

It looks interesting. Great for celebrating 50years of Lego in Australia! :thumbup:

Finally something Lego related released in Aus and NZ before the rest of the world! :tongue: Haha, looks super fun! I find it incredible that this is all possible on chrome, it really is the best browser. :thumbup:

CF