Sign in to follow this  
SWMAN

Is Lego Getting Sloppy?

Is lego getting slopy in its old age. THey seem to be slacking off on some sets, specifically the 10176 Castle. A few things were wrong. First, on the box where it shows the figures, it shows 2 bull squires, when there is only one, and it doesn't show the blacksmith. Also, on that same box, there is no piece number. Also, on the instructions, the second book has no page numbers, and the first does. It appears that lego slapped together this thing very quickly, using old pieces and bad box design that wasn't reviewed. Anybody else have instances where this has happened? Any Comments?

I have not seen the box so I cannot vouch for that, but a look at the pieces - there is like 10 or 12 of the SAME Castle Wall pieces - with the same pattern and everything. Would it have been so hard for lego to include a few standard black ones and maybe one with the different brick patterns? I love the piece, but it is simply too repetitious in one set! I still want it though X-D

Lego is just like any other company these days. Quality and craftsmanship has gone down considerably. I don't know if this is a result of the increased demand, the time needed to turn products out to the market, overworked and under-motivated employees, or a combination of all of the above.

I have this argument with a lot of people these days, and it just seems that whatever the product you buy(regardless of price), it seems that there is ALWAYS something wrong with it. What is most disappointing is that the more one seems to spend expecting a higher level of quality, the more things wrong with the product.

I can handle mistakes like the one that you mention, but what most irritates me is cheaper plastic pieces. This I've seen in many sets and if Lego continues with some pieces, they may start making many this way.

Another thing that bothers me is the price of legos these days. It seems way to high for less people and pieces, especially with the SW Legos. But, even with sets like the City Fire Station that only has a few people. Lego sets used to include a lot more people.

Another thing that bothers me is the price of legos these days. It seems way to high for less people and pieces, especially with the SW Legos. But, even with sets like the City Fire Station that only has a few people. Lego sets used to include a lot more people.

True, it seem like every medium and large set is one or two minifigs short. Look at the large castle sets from the 80s and 90s. They came with 11 or 12 knight/soldiers. each. Same with a lot of the bigger city sets like firestations and hospitals, the older sets had a lot more minifigs.

Maybe if you compare with classic city and castle, but I remember when more sets had no mini-figs at all, like the creator sets now.

Lego has always been an expensive toy; but considering the quality, they were always worth the price in "play value". Now quality is diminishing.

One quality factor that seems :-X , is the new sw guns and Batman guns, you can tell of lesser quality :-( .

I like the new Batman guns X-D

I didn't know the SW guns have gone down in quality!

I agree with your arguments, but that is more or less a discussion of Lego set design Quality. The design quality suffers now in alot of cases to make sets easier to build and faster to play.

Lego becoming sloppy with boxing and rushing pieces (like the aforementioned 12 of the exact same wall piece when it could be easy to switch it up and provide more variety) is the issue of this thread I believe.

well i occasionally open an older box and you can easily find mistakes on boxes and instruction books as well. you can see a few of those in the review of the 'USS Constellation' that i did a while back. The notion that Lego was so much better in the past compared to these days is a myth. The old boxes, for instance, may be more attractive but they are so terribly fragile, easy to damage... Current boxes are a lot better in quality. Besides, high quality has its price. I f you want to go back to the old quality/style, add another 30% - 50% to the current prices.

well i occasionally open an older box and you can easily find mistakes on boxes and instruction books as well. you can see a few of those in the review of the 'USS Constellation' that i did a while back. The notion that Lego was so much better in the past compared to these days is a myth. The old boxes, for instance, may be more attractive but they are so terribly fragile, easy to damage... Current boxes are a lot better in quality. Besides, high quality has its price. I f you want to go back to the old quality/style, add another 30% - 50% to the current prices.

I'd be willing to pay a reasonable increase to get back higher quality set design, higher minifig count, and more pieces.

But I doubt parents and children, the ones who Lego is aimed at, would.