• 1 - Ew, terrible
    • 2 - Ehh, not bad
    • 3 - Average.
    • 4 - Hey, pretty good!
    • 5 - WHOA! Awesome!

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

gallery_6705_157_17796.png

0-01_intro.jpg

The Mandalorian Battle Pack is part of the 4th round of Star Wars battle packs, and in my opinion, one of the worst. Read on to find out why!

Name: Mandalorian Battle Back

Set Number: 7914

Number of Pieces: 68

Minifigs: 4

Theme: Star Wars

Year Released: 2011

MSRP: $11.99 USD

References: Bricklink - Brickset - Peeron - S@H

The Box:

1-01_box.jpg

The front of the box. Lots of explosions and lasers and stuff (nothing unusual :tongue:). It shows the four mandalorian warriors attacking some unshown enemies, presumably the clones in the other battle pack. The standard Captain Rex banner is at the top.

1-02_box.jpg

The back of the box. Now we see the mandalorians fighting against the clone troopers. Also, the bottom-right shows the four minifigs, even though they are pretty much the same.

1-03_box.jpg

The top of the box shows the Mandalorian figure. No big surprise.

The Instructions:

2-00_instructions.jpg

The instructions. They are pretty thin, I guess that for a $12 set you shouldn't expect anything thicker than that.

It sports the same image as on the box cover.

2-02_instructions.jpg

Here is a random page from the instructions. It has a grungy light gray background. There is no Darth Vader in the corner.

Black and the two bley colors don't occur often in the set, and as there are so few pieces in the first place, there is no problem with that.

The Pieces:

3-01_pieces.jpg

Here are the pieces in the set. Less than 70 as you can see. Not very many for a $12 set, but oh well, what can we say about LEGO prices! :grin: There are a few nice pieces in this set, for example the blue cheese slope, the light bley double cheese slope, and that black equipment piece thing. There are no "new" pieces as far as I can tell.

3-02_extra_parts.jpg

There are five extra parts, its nice to get another blue cheese slope :classic:

The Build:

4-00_build_1.jpg

4-03_build_1.jpg

First we build the E-Web blaster, not very difficult.

4-04_abuild_2.jpg

4-08_build_2.jpg

This speeder appears to supposed to be the Balutar-class swoop as shown below:

Mandalorian_speeder_bike.jpg

4-08-0_build_2.jpg

But they do not look very similar, and I think TLG did a very bad job on this speeder. If you compare the LEGO version to the "real" version, the proportions are way off. The front of the "real" version is a lot bigger than the back, which is not accurately enough conveyed in the LEGO version. The grill in the front of the speeder is not even attempted to be added into the LEGO version. I think the LEGO speeder could've had potential but LEGO blew it.

4-09_abuild_3.jpg

Next we build the turret thing, very similar to the one in 7655, except not as good. I also own 7655, and I like that one much better. I'll compare below:

4-08-1_build_2_comparison.jpg

There are three things in specific I don't like about the new "mandalorian" version compared to the old "clone" version.

1. There is no tile in the front, leaving a gap between the blue plate and the bottom dark bley plates.

2. The slopes on the sides of the turret station, they are not tall enough. There is too much of a gap between the top of the slopes and the mudguard piece.

3. The cone swivels uncontrollably and you can't get it to stay still!! :angry:

So those are the reasons why I like the old version better than this one.

The Set!

6-01_completed_set.jpg

Done already!? Wow, that was fast. Here's the completed set!

Ratings:

Playability: 9/10 - It is a fun little set, even if you didn't have the clone battle pack, it would still be fun to play with.

Design: 6/10 - The design is pretty good, but it is quite weak in some areas such as the speeder, and the turret, oh well to be honest, everything!

Price: 6/10 - 12 dollars for 60 pieces!?!?! Thats outrageous! Even if it has 4 mandalorians they are still charging way too much.

Minifigures: 9/10 - The minifigures are awesome. I just wish they had back printing, and a special figure for Pre Vizsla, then I could give an 10/10 to the minifigures.

Parts: 8/10 - We didn't get enough parts, like I've said earlier, but there are some nice (although basic) pieces in there.

Overall: 38/50 or 76% - This is a nice set, but its main value is in the minifigures and not the rest of the set.

Conclusion:

We have discovered that this set is not really something that you would buy for the pieces, rather for the minifigures. Therefore, if you think that 4 minifigures, that happen to be the exact same, are worth $12, then pick this up. If you compare this set to the Collectable Figures series, then you might not think that is such a bad price. In conclusion, unless you really love the minifigures, or find it on sale, don't bother getting this set as it is too expensive and has barely any pieces.

Thanks for reading my review!

7-01_silly_picture.jpg

~Flare

I actually like it, you get Jango in it :grin:, Replace the arms and legs with sand blue and it's Jango.

Thanks for the review. My mom bought this for me the other day. I have yet to open it because I'm not sure if I want to keep it. The Mandalorians look neat, but I don't know if I need 4 of the same figure. I'm still deciding.

It isn't a lot for the price, but I guess it being a Battle Pack, it will be designed to sell for figures only. At least with the Endor BP you get some tree pieces which are useful to me.

Thanks for reviewing the set. I like it. Sure, there's not enough pieces but the designs of the speeder, cannon, and gun are all pretty awesome. The real selling point though, is the figures. You've gotta admit their armour is sweet. I'll buy multiples of this set just for Mandalorians.

Edited by purpleparadox

I like the Mandalorians myself, so I quite like this battle pack. I can understand them not having back printing, they do have jet packs covering their backs after all.

I mean, I picked up the set as a just to add a few more Separatists, but once I opened it, one set of the Mandalorians was enough for me. This set was quite disappointing, especially when compared to the Rainbow Clones set that came out at the same time.

Nice review, 'Flare'! :classic:

If I ever do get into Star Wars, this would be another set I'd pick up. The figures are really cool, especially since they're practically exclusive. This set reminds me a bit of the Captain America Super Heroes set (both come with a turret and a small ship, and both have the same price).

Nice review! I only buy the battle packs for the minifigs, and since none of them looked appealing, this has been the only battle pack I skipped.

This is a pretty good little set, and you've done a great job reviewing it. But I have one thing I noticed, where are the minifigure pictures?!

This is a pretty good little set, and you've done a great job reviewing it. But I have one thing I noticed, where are the minifigure pictures?!

Well why didn't you tell me before you gave me your ":thumbup:" in the Reviewers Academy!? :wacko:

Thanks for the review. I am not very keen about the turret and the speeder is a gross injustice to the real thing! :cry_sad: What I do like is the waepons and they are great for battle scenes. The mandalorian minifigs are good but are all the same and generic and I wish we could have had say a mandalorian captain or something

Anyway we can't all get what we want!

This set is great for making a deathwatch gang. I've got a bunch of these and a dozen of them I got for only $8.99USD that's right, I practically stole em, mando style. :grin: