• - Above Average
    • - Outstanding
  2. 2. What Do I review Next?

• 9494 Anakin's Jedi Starfighter
    • 9490 Droid Escape
    • 9491 Geonosian Cannon

approvedgold_v2_62.png

7323134300_8c8e924a20_o.jpg

I never had any Superhero anything while I was growing up, so I'm just learning about all of them as the LEGO sets come out. When I saw the Superman set, I was fairly happy with it. Two great figures and one rather boring one. Again, most of the reason I got this set was for the minifigures, but are they what I expected? The mech looked pretty good, but it's one of those things you have to have to know. I picked this up at the LEGO store while I was waiting for them to have the Batcave.

Name: Superman vs. Power-Armor Lex

Set Number: 6862

Pieces: 207

Price: $19.99

Ages: 6-12

Minifigs: 3

Theme: Superheroes

Year of Release: 2012

Bricklink

Brickset

S@H

Full Flicker gallery here.

Box:

7323131906_a1bf2dceb3_o.jpg

The box is oddly oriented; the flaps to open it are on the top and bottom, rather than the sides. But the art looks pretty good, Superman trying to rescue Wonder Woman from Lex's grip, on a nice city background.

7323131842_f3bdfa5e7e_o.jpg

The back of the box has your usual functions pictures, along with an alternate image of the mech fighting the Heroes. I really like the dark blue and yellow color scheme.

7323131790_6839f03908_o.jpg

And the 1:1 image is of Superman, this picture is his CG form and not the real figure, it looks a bit odd if you ask me.

Manual:

7323131688_64ba140a35_o.jpg

On the front of the manual is the same art that is on the front of the box. In the upper right corner, we see Superman in his "Superman" pose ready for action, and in the lower right, we have his logo.

7323131568_3a25d2eec3_o.jpg

On the first page we build the minifigures, and it also has a rather large warning ad in two languages, one is Spanish it appears. The light blue background really appeals to me.

7323131458_ae62eba854_o.jpg

On some of the pages, we have Batman, Joker, and Superman, all faded out. Which I think really adds a nice "Superheroes" touch to the set.

7323131338_b68e6d6c50_o.jpg

Then on one of the later pages, we have a great looking ad for the new Superheroes game. It really has a sense of motion, and I think captures the feel of the Superheroes.

Comic:

7323131270_3cfa14742a_o.jpg

Now we get to the comic, with this one being comic three. Again, we see the three Superheroes, ready for action, and most of the villains heads present in the upper right corner. This looks a lot like Gotham city to me.

7323131206_bce542b139_o.jpg

The first page of the comic has an ad for the sets, and then starts with the Catwoman comic.

7323131130_65d3d1848d_o.jpg

On the second page we finish the Catwoman comic, and then see an ad with all of the figures from the current line of Superheroes.

7323131060_84af4f1c05_o.jpg

Then we get to the Superman set comic, not going to be many words from me here. "ZZZZZAT!!!"

7323130980_36a2b09c89_o.jpg

"BOOM!"

7323130910_e2304f026f_o.jpg

"CRRRSH!!"

7323130796_30673d3004_o.jpg

The back cover has Superman and Batman looking at the Batcomputer, not sure why Superman's looking at it though...

Minifigures:

7323130570_0007e1e91a_o.jpg

Now we get to the minifigures! My favorite part to most any set. From left to right we have, Wonder Woman, Superman, and Lex Luthor. All three have new heads, while only Superman and Wonder Woman have new torso print. Wonder has a new hair mold with a crown, and black curly hair. She's also got a new torso print, as well as some legs with great printing! I think her figure is pretty accurate. Superman has a new hair mold, and a new torso print, that I think is a perfect match to him. Lex is rather boring overall, he just has the tux print and almost the same head as Superman.

7323130518_e5ace15aa8_o.jpg

There isn't to much to see on the back of the minifigures, though you can really see that Wonder Woman's hair really is curly.

7323130462_955fe10140_o.jpg

Superman and Wonder Woman both have back print and alternate head print. Though Superman looks oddly happy to me...

7323132842_e416f2281c_o.jpg

I'll finish this section with a fun "battle" scene. I'm very happy with all of these guys, Wonder Woman's lasso has a great new mold, and Superman's hair is a perfect match.

Parts:

7323130748_de3191dc57_o.jpg

We have four "new" parts for this set, the large green piece used on the legs; the trans-clear windscreen has edges on the two long sides, then the other two slope pieces in purple and trans-light green parts.

7323130668_799d4e80e5_o.jpg

Three extra parts, nothing to special for me, and no cheese slopes present in this set.

The Build:

7323132788_46901c8904_o.jpg

We shall move onto the build! First you build the two legs and the hips. Nothing to special to note here.

7323132708_36e6cc184c_o.jpg

Then you build the upper torso and the arms.

7323132582_e67cda0d9a_o.jpg

Then you slide the top onto the Technic axle and you're done! It was a very simple build process, but you do have to be careful not to break those joints.

Complete Model:

7323132524_a787c65eec_o.jpg

Here's a shot of the completed set. I'm very happy with my purchase; it's definitely worth the $20. You get Superman, Wonder Woman, and a great mech to battle it out with.

7323132462_13ccde5ac9_o.jpg

The mech, while simple, is still very well built and quite tough. The front is of course the only side you're supposed to see, so it looks pretty good.

7323132340_4de3e0fdf3_o.jpg

There's a lot less to view from the side, though you can see how thick the upper body is.

7323132278_e5678db27d_o.jpg

And the back, you know this doesn't look too bad. You have the backpack as well as the feet. Though the back of the legs don't look too good.

7323132166_3ae730e848_o.jpg

The gun, LEGO has stuck the crystal inside a little "glass" case and has it wired up to the gun so it shoots it. A cute little detail that I think works very well.

7323132092_cfd4009309_o.jpg

Here's an up-close shot of the backpack. It's good to get some of those dome pieces again.

7323130632_f66fce08de_o.jpg

For some odd reason, the two lower arms are built differently. The left one has to be the way it is otherwise it couldn't hold the gun, but the other one should be the same way. It's only a difference of about four parts; it couldn't be that much more expensive.

Final Thoughts:

This set really has that "Superman" feel for me. (What little I know about him.) The mech has a great color scheme, anything with green is good by me, and the minifigures are well designed. Why then I am so skeptical about it? I think it has something to do with playing with the set; I've never played with me sets too much, though I do swoosh my starships around quite a bit. This set really seems geared towards someone who plays with their sets, though LEGO did a good job by including to amazing figures in this set. So I guess I am happy with it.

Ratings:

Playability: 9/10 I could see a little kid playing with this for quite a while with different scenarios.

Design: 8/10 It's designed pretty well, like any LEGO mech, the back of the legs are a bit lacking.

Price: 10/10 The $20 LEGO is asking for this is quite reasonable, I feel that I got my money's worth out of it.

Minifigures: 9/10 All of the minifigures in this set are good except for Lex, that tux torso just doesn't do it for me.

Parts: 8/10 I feel this set is a bit lacking in the parts department, nothing to new or special.

Total: 44/50 We're in the 40's with this set, a great score!

7323131966_56fb6f4e74_o.jpg

"Let go of me!"

Want to learn to make excellent reviews like this one? Then join the Reviewers Academy!

logo-academy-v4.png

Judging by another quality review of this set here in EB, this certainly looks one of the fan-favorite Superhero sets. And why wouldn't it? You get three NEW! great figs at a relatively cheap price with a nice-looking mech at the side which you could keep or use for parts. You can never really go wrong with this set IMO. :thumbup: Thanks for sharing Masked!

Thanks guys!

Judging by another quality review of this set here in EB, this certainly looks one of the fan-favorite Superhero sets. And why wouldn't it? You get three NEW! great figs at a relatively cheap price with a nice-looking mech at the side which you could keep or use for parts. You can never really go wrong with this set IMO. :thumbup: Thanks for sharing Masked!

I haven't even gotten to my Avengers sets yet. :laugh: But yes, probably one of the better DC line sets.

Great review, 'Masked Builder'! :sweet:

This is definitely my second favorite DC Super Heroes set of 2012, right behind the Fun House set. The price is perfect, and the figures are exceptional. :thumbup:

Hopefully the Man of Steel sets are as good as this one!

Great review! This has to be my favorite DC set. It seems just like a page out of a comic book! :wub: I think that Lex has a new torso print too, though. :wink:

Good work, it is so pleasant to watch/read your pictures/opinion.

I think n°6862 Superman vs. Power-Armor Lex is well-designed, even if Lex's and Superman's faces look very similar.

Add a comic is such a great idea !

Great review! I just finished building this set, and it's pretty flippin' cool! The main reason I got it is for Superman, but the overall set is really nice. Lex is a rather boring figure, but both Superman and Wonder Woman are absolutely awesome, particularly Wonder Woman's legs! Great set!

I haven't even gotten to my Avengers sets yet. :laugh: But yes, probably one of the better DC line sets.

My theory on this;

-it has the first, and so far only, superman and Wonder woman. Batman is great, but we've seen many sets from him.

-it is just a fun set!

Lex is a rather boring figure,

But accurate. Beside the power armor, I have only seen him in a suit and tie. And he is also bald so no new hairpieces. But I'm sure superman fans appreciate him!

Edited by sologuy369

Thanks guys!

Great review! This has to be my favorite DC set. It seems just like a page out of a comic book! :wub: I think that Lex has a new torso print too, though. :wink:

Okay fine, he has back printing, but I still say he's boring.

None of those foru pieces are new. The mech lego may be recolored, though.

I didn't say they were, just new/interesting. :wink:

Nice review! :thumbup: The set looks great, but I fell like it needs some kind of atmosphere. I would pay $30 if it meant having some rubble or a destoyed building :sceptic:

Great review!

Wow, never noticed until now, that Superman is wearing a different hair in the faded images in the manual....

Thanks everyone!

Nice review! :thumbup: The set looks great, but I fell like it needs some kind of atmosphere. I would pay $30 if it meant having some rubble or a destoyed building :sceptic:

I wouldn't expect that in a LEGO set, but it would make it more interesting.

Great review!

Wow, never noticed until now, that Superman is wearing a different hair in the faded images in the manual....

Whoa, I didn't either. Nice eyes. :thumbup:

I still haven't gotten round to buying this set yet, and I really need to. Great review.

I had a good long sit down with Lego Batman 2 last night for the Xbox. Flying round Gotham as Supes with the Superman theme playing in the background has to be one of the coolest things I've done in a video game in a long time.

Great review! :thumbup: Finished building the set last night and it looks very nice on my desk. :sweet:

Edited by TimH

Fantastic review and a great set! (Un)fortunately mine came missing a few of the black and grey plates; instead I got around 10 of the 2x3 purple plates to make up the weight. Definitely not complaining ;)

Further to my above post, finally picked this up yesterday. Great set, and even better after a slight mod to the left arm, to make it match the gun arm in length. Me and the boy have had a great time swooshing the heroes round and blasting Kyptonite everywhere!

Fantastic review and a great set! (Un)fortunately mine came missing a few of the black and grey plates; instead I got around 10 of the 2x3 purple plates to make up the weight. Definitely not complaining ;)

Well you can always ask LEGO for some new ones, they're quite helpful. :sweet:

Further to my above post, finally picked this up yesterday. Great set, and even better after a slight mod to the left arm, to make it match the gun arm in length. Me and the boy have had a great time swooshing the heroes round and blasting Kyptonite everywhere!

:laugh: I bet so, it's a great play set.

Anyone tried or trying to make the Gatling gun he uses in the video game? would like a parts list if someone does