AwesomeStar

REVIEW: 6054 Forestmen's Hideout

Set name: 6054 Forestmen's Hideout

Year of release: 1988

Minifigures: 2

Pieces: 201

RRP (according to Brickset): $17.50 (about £15.00)

Bricklink Catalogue Entry

Peeron Instructions

Bricklink Parts List

Hullo, traveller! My name is AwesomeStar - forest ranger - and this is my review of a classic Castle set, 1988's 6054 Forestmen's Hideout!

img_2078.jpg

This review is part of what may end up as a series of comprehensive reviews of the vintage castle sets that we all know and love. Enjoy!

img_2079.jpg

The Instructions

To kick things off, here is the front of the instructions, showing off the set and construction of the minifigures...

img_2127.jpg

... and a random page. Note how it is all done from one angle. This can make building tricky, but who doesn't love a challenge?

img_2135.jpg

The Minifigures

Ah! Here I am joined by the leader of the tree-folks, Robin Hood. Hullo!

img_2081.jpg

Smile for the camera Robin! Here you can see the simplistic style of early Castle designs. Isn't it lovely? :wub:

img_2060.jpg

Give that bum a wiggle! (No backprinting in them days!)

img_2061.jpg

Accessories

The many accessories in this set - 2 spears, a flag, archery butt, barrel (and two "gold" nuggets), a sword, a bow and a quiver

img_2082.jpg

But let's not forget those wonderful printed shields! Mmmmmm... :drool: *falls off chair*

img_2093.jpg

And a close-up of that gorgeously printed rare archery 2x2 round tile

img_2059.jpg

Lastly, here are the two trees included in this set - a small spruce tree and a large spruce tree. It's worth noting that both these trees and the ones included in other sets I have from the era are made of a more squishy plastic compared to newer ones, which are not flexible at all. Swaying in the breeze, perhaps?

img_2096.jpg

The Set

Here is an overview of the set open...

img_2015.jpg

...closed...

img_2126.jpg

...and half-open

img_2120.jpg

Without minifgures

img_2068.jpg

Fully extended (front)

img_2107.jpg

Fully extended (back)

img_2109.jpg

Front (closed)

img_2114.jpg

Front (roof open) - note the architecture of the windows

img_2113.jpg

Back (closed)

img_2117.jpg

Left side (closed)

img_2118.jpg

Right side (closed)

img_2116.jpg

Extra Pieces

There are two feathers of two different types for each plume colour in this set. When bought new, these would be attatched to a small round spoke wheel to keep them safe

img_2084.jpg

The Verdict

What can I say, the set is an absolute dream. Despite never getting to experience them first hand I have always loved these early Castle sets. They capture their setting so well in such a cute, simple way. The Forestmen line is one of my favourite Lego themes ever and this set is certainly one of the best in that theme. Boasting a wide range of accessories, an attractive model and two superb minifigures (one with the rare white plume), 6054 stands out as one of the most memorable sets of the late 1980s, and will always have a place in my brick-built heart.

Design: 10/10 - attractive and cute-looking, the set also has an easily accessible interior and lots of details, such as the stone balcony and the secret entrance through the tree trunk round the back. It comes across perfectly as a shady little treehouse perfect for hiding in from the nasty knights.

Playability: 9/10 - the vines enable the minifigures to have a lot fun swinging wildly around the tree, and the included barrel of gold and archery butt provide exciting storylines such as 'hide the treasure' and 'who's the best shot?'.

Minifgures: 8/10 - lovely printing on both figures, however the white-plumed forestman could have done with his own set of bow and arrows. Another figure (perhaps a Lion Knight, to add some conflict) wouldn't have gone amiss either.

Parts: 9/10 fantastic variation of accessories, and plenty of tree and foliage parts to keep any landscape or castle builder happy.

Overall: 9/10 - simply sublime. I got this set for about £15 from an eBay seller. If you see it, get it! :thumbup:

Well, that concludes this review of 6054 Forestmen's Hideout. Next up is 6066 Camouflaged Outpost! It's good night from him...

img_2123.jpg

...and it's good night from him!

img_2124.jpg

Good night!

~A.S.

Edited by AwesomeStar

This is one of the first sets I ever got when I was a child, I love the forestmen as well and think its a great little set, your review has inspired me to find the instructions online (original are long lost) and rebuild this :) a very nice review, i completely agree.

This is one of the first sets I ever got when I was a child, I love the forestmen as well and think its a great little set, your review has inspired me to find the instructions online (original are long lost) and rebuild this :) a very nice review, i completely agree.

I've put a little link to Peeron scans of the instructions at the top :wink:

Thanks very much, and I'm glad this review sparked a little something!

~A.S.

Nice review! This is a neat little set and those forestmen shields are my favorite! I'm looking forward to some more classic reviews from you :thumbup:

Very nice set, used to have one as a child. Probably lost when splitting our (cousin and mine) LEGO last year.

So many good reviews out today! And your review is just as great as them, 'AwesomeStar'! :sweet:

What is there to say about this set that other people haven't. It has shown to be a fan favorite with AFOLs, and I totally understand why. :wink:

Great review, AwesomeStar! This makes me wish I owned more than just a Forestman minifigure. I even want to build my own version of this set now. :classic:

Nice review, the one thing that I loved about looking at the images of this one is that it made me warp back to when i was around 12 years old and seeing these sets in the stores. Good ol times ;)

This is one of those sets that somehow give me a cozy feeling, I don't know why. I really like that the trees are black, it makes me like the set even more.. and those prints on the minifigs are superb! :thumbup:

Thanks for the review.

I really miss these old sets. The printing and detail on the new sets are fantastic, but I love the simplistic design and color usage back in the late 80s/early 90s. I really miss those days of Lego. Probably because I was young enough everything was so amazing and new. But even looking back I still miss those sets even without all of the details.

Keep up the great reviews.

I want to buy more of the classic castle and forget about the new stuff.

I hadnt realized until now how small the set is - it looked bigger in the catalogs! Anyway, I rate it as my 2nd favorite Forestman set, after the River Crossing (not that I own any Forestman sets).

On a side note, I find it curious TLG stopped using the printed target piece. I think it would have been better in the Kingdoms target Practice set than the pieces used for the target.

Like many here, I miss these old sets. Very simplistic when compared to today's sets, but they're just gorgeous in that simplicity. I didn't have this set myself, but I had the River Crossing one and it was superb.

Thanks for posting this great review. Look forward to your other ones. :thumbup:

Thanks a lot for the review!

This is one of my all-time favorite sets. I have it in display with another Forestmen's Hideout and the Camouflaged Outpost. It looks just great. Everybody loves my "forest" :classic: Unfortunately, there's no room for the River Fortress :cry_sad:

I'm still on the hunt for a complete and not too expensive Forestmen Crossing, though. That's a hard one to come by :sceptic: