Mister Phes

Would you open a MISB SYSTEM Pirate set?

Mint In Sealed Box SYSTEM Pirate LEGO Sets  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Would you open them?

• Yes, LEGO was meant to be played with
    • No, they're now rare collectors items which need to be preserved
    • Depends on the set - some are more valuable than others
  2. 2. How many MISB SYSTEM Pirate sets do you think remain?

• 1000's
    • 100's
    • dozens
    • I really have no idea

If I came across a MISB SES or something and didnt have to fork over $1000 to get it, I would likely resell it at a competitive price. But really how the megabloks (and I really want to use a different word) do prices get this high? skull eye schooner

Who's stupid enough to buy it at that price? You don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand if these jerks don't sell their sets at these ridiculously high prices, they are forced to reduce the cost? Last time I checked, thats how it works. If you don't think it's worth the price, dont pay for it! I cant beleive this SES going for more than 1000% of it's original price. Makes me queesy! :-X

These "jerks" Mr Cleese set the price so high because they don't want some scummy little destroying the seal on such a rare item. These sellers realise that only true collectors will fork out those amount and can be assured the new owner will perverse the set well into the future.

So they are quite happy to hold onto the set for as long as it takes to find someone who will pay that price. Many people may not be able to understand why anyone would do this but it's all for a good reason.

These "jerks" Mr Cleese set the price so high because they don't want some scummy little destroying the seal on such a rare item. These sellers realise that only true collectors will fork out those amount and can be assured the new owner will perverse the set well into the future.

So they are quite happy to hold onto the set for as long as it takes to find someone who will pay that price. Many people may not be able to understand why anyone would do this but it's all for a good reason.

why would they want new owner who will perverse the set???? *wacko* oh...you mean preserve... haha i just notice the anagram.... perverse = preserve...lol :-P :-D

No, of course not, Phes. Why would I open a rare set, in MISB mint condition? Wouldn't it be smarted if I tortured myself by staring at the box, wondering how Captain Roger's doing inside, waiting to be built, and every once and a while X-raying the box to dream about the pieces inside?

Treat yourself. Sometimes, you just gotta ignore the future sell price and relax. However, what I would do is buy complete versions of the MISB's you have. That way, there'll be no anxiety.

Edited by sdpirate

Old thread *skull* .

Honestly, I think that this question is somewhat circumstantial. I mean, it would depend on the size of your collection, your building needs and you preference as a collector. Some builders have extremely large collections already. As such, a MISB set is probably more valuable to them for nostalgic value than it would be opened up. Conversely, a builder who has a very small collection would be eating away at themselves if they had that crown jewel of a set they simply couldn't bring themselves to touch.

Allthough i can't really speak about the Pirate line (I only got the 1989 sets), I can say with some certainty that I would rather have most of the older castle sets MISB at this point. I simply have a large enough collection of castle LEGO. Opening a MISB 6067 or 6074 isn't going to provide me with anything I don't already have in large quantities anyhow. That being said, the untouched box would conjure up some fond memories. Right now, I would probably leave most older sets (including Pirates) MISB unless it was something truly special that I simply couldn't pass up.

I guess I just have too much LEGO X-D .

Well, I'd either open it or resell it;

The Pirates theme has been discontinued for several years and therefore buying a Pirate set would be to please my addiction to the theme. So I'd definately open it and build it.

The other option is that I already own the set and the new MISB set is bought to be resold at a better price on eBay.

This is more a question of wether You'd open a MISB discontinued set or not.

Are You the MISB-storing guy or the rip everything open and build-guy?

I say "Build it all, except the SW and EXO sets sitting in my attic waiting to be worth gold"

KimT

Well, I'd either open it or resell it;

The Pirates theme has been discontinued for several years and therefore buying a Pirate set would be to please my addiction to the theme. So I'd definately open it and build it.

The other option is that I already own the set and the new MISB set is bought to be resold at a better price on eBay.

This is more a question of wether You'd open a MISB discontinued set or not.

Are You the MISB-storing guy or the rip everything open and build-guy?

I say "Build it all, except the SW and EXO sets sitting in my attic waiting to be worth gold"

KimT

SW yes, but EXO ? Do you really think their value will increase ?

It's also a matter of self control, along with value - Personally I have an increadibly rare Misb monorail pack waiting to be sold (people are paying 120$ for it opened) And misb star hawk II unitron ship, and aquazone Neptune Discovery lab, then my luckiest find, a Misb M-tron ship. The name escapes me now..

I bought them all for retail price, once Im not lazy ill put them up for sale - I would surely do the same for any pirate set I had misb, even if the classics are nice - I absolutely love what legos been doing lately, and I need monies for the new stuffs! *wub*

I respect anyone who can have the self disciplin to NOT open these sets, I know i would! but then again I hardly got any pirate sets...

If it were Pirates, or a good Castle set, it would be open and built in a heartbeat. Anything else, and I would probably look into selling it, even if for less than its "value".

Lego is meant to be played with!

NO, I would not open a MISB set, but that's mainly because I already have almost all pirate sets (all the main sets at least).. I understand if somebody wants to open a misb set though, but not me! I have already opened so many MISB sets ;-)

Argh if you be find'n treasure like a MISB, u'd be keep'n a treasure for everyone if you'd be not opening it. But if you'd be open'n it, then the treasure be spoilt and it be only yours, as you put ya gubby fingers all over the fine plastic.

If this pirate ever got his hands on a goldern box o' blocks he'd be keepen it sealed, sell'n it for twice what he got it, and buying two opened sets...

Pirate logic really Argh!

I opened a MISB set about a month ago, but it was only the small Pirates Treasure Surprise set.

I've seen a MISB Skulls Eye Schooner sell for over US$500 recently on eBay, so these sets are becoming an investment.

If you really wanted to build a MISB Skulls Eye Schooner, you would probably be better off selling it and buying two or two MIB copies instead.

I got mine MIB and it still smelt new but for a third of price.

I am not so much into pirates. Unfortunately, I only have veeeeeeeeery few sets, but I'd love to have more pirate sets, especially ships. Whether I'd open a MISB pirates set depends on the following aspects:

- How old is the set? From the very beginning of the pirate theme or just one of its end?

- What condition is the box in?

- Do I have a second copy of it?

- How much is a used one on eBay or elsewhere? If the used one is cheap, I can leave the MISB one untouched.

Well, I only have two sets that are MISB. A small Blacktron II spaceship which has not been opened due to lack of space. (No SPACE for a SPACEship. What a wordplay! :-) ) And I've got a Santa Fe engine 10020 Limited Edition set which is unopened. Reason: I've got a second limited edition version and two other non-limited Santa Fe engines that have been opened. So the unopened 10020 can remain as it is till the sun stops shining, which might be in several billions of years or something. ;-)

However, I'd say I'd open a MISB pirate set, because I love opening the little plastic bags and listen to the sound when the bricks fall out of the bags. I'd also open it because I haven't experienced that feeling with pirate sets very often. And what profit would I have if I kept the set unopened for eternity? No one lives forever. If I don't open it, someone else will have the pleasure of doing it. Maybe a grandchild?! X-O

Edited by legotrainfan

I respect that some people like to have dust collecting on Lego MISB sets and value collecting too, but I think that it is pointless keeping them stored away for ages as all that happens is they get passed on for an amount of money to someone else who is probably still going to hide it away and not let it be thuroughly enjoyed by anyone in its open and splendid state.

Regards, Captain Zuloo ;-)

I respect that some people like to have dust collecting on Lego MISB sets and value collecting too, but I think that it is pointless keeping them stored away for ages as all that happens is they get passed on for an amount of money to someone else who is probably still going to hide it away and not let it be thuroughly enjoyed by anyone in its open and splendid state.

Regards, Captain Zuloo ;-)

Nicely said, I completely agree with you. I would personally open it even if it was the most valuabe/oldest set there is. If you are one of those people who dont enjoy LEGO, but are there to make money on it then I can understand. Otherwise, there is no point keeping it unopened.

If I had an old set, something considerably valuable and tough to find MISB..I wouldn't open it. Because I'm slightly off I would actually get enjoyment just looking at the box and occasionally inspecting its condition, making sure the edges were crisp and clean, and fantasizing that someone somewhere in this vast world was sitting in their home with a pair of cuticle scissors, debating on whether or not to open their MISB set and imagining they'd give in. X-D After fondling it for awhile, I'd bust out the used copy and play with that.

I'm not much of a MISB collector. I prefer to play with my Lego. But I still wouldn't open such a find if I could readily and easily sell it to someone who would appreciate it, for enough fund to purchase a couple of non-MISB sets.

That way we'd both be happy.

Steve

Yes, LEGO was meant to be played with [poll 1]

And

i have no clue for the second.

One man's trash is another's treasure. A MISB Pirate set is not much of a big deal to me. I'd prob debate opening the box for all of about 30 seconds...

I don't really understand why people assume MISB collectors "hide" their MISB box sets. If they're kept in a dry place out of direct sunlight then their condition is preserved just fine.

I have my MISB sets displayed along side my built sets, and the built sets seem to gather far more dust than the MISB sets. If I was to open them, then they'd become just another "used set" of which hundreds times more can be found on eBay and BrickLink.

I'm not much of a MISB collector. I prefer to play with my Lego. But I still wouldn't open such a find if I could readily and easily sell it to someone who would appreciate it, for enough fund to purchase a couple of non-MISB sets. That way we'd both be happy.

This seems like good logic. You could probably sell some of the MISB box pirate sets and buy 2 (or sometimes 3) used copies with the money you make.

My answer: yes, I would, of course. If I don't open it, then what can I do with it - nothing! Just stare at the box - that's stupid. I want to see it, to touch it, build it!

I don't have any MISB LEGO, but in the same time I want to point out that all my sets are in their original boxes and they are kept in a dry place, hidden from direct sunlight (and from dust, I hope). As a matter of fact I just got a new cool cupboard to place my LEGO collection in it.

Look, there is nothing wrong with opening the box and playing with what's inside. After all, this is not a fragile item! This is not a Renaissance painting or an old book! You can't damage or destroy it that easily!!

So, don't be afraid, hehe

Edited by Nikola Bathory

I probably wouldn't open it. I don't buy (out of production) misb sets anyways, since they serve no use to me. If I somehow got a misb set (as a present or it is too cheap not to buy for example), I'd probably sell it and then buy a used one in good condition, with money to spare.