Mister Phes

Would you open a MISB SYSTEM Pirate set?

Mint In Sealed Box SYSTEM Pirate LEGO Sets  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Would you open them?

• Yes, LEGO was meant to be played with
    • No, they're now rare collectors items which need to be preserved
    • Depends on the set - some are more valuable than others
  2. 2. How many MISB SYSTEM Pirate sets do you think remain?

• 1000's
    • 100's
    • dozens
    • I really have no idea

different...My small lego set is special to me in many ways, Like I said, my first pirate MISB. But with my luck, and money, a big set MISB is a most likely 1:a very high number chance I'd get it. Ah well. I'm good with used. Boxes, I usually like to get though if it's used. I have a full closet of lego set boxes :-D .

bet you ten bucks that phes and jamtf bpth kiss their misb sets goodnight....

Oh, you think so? Well, then I have to drive 10 miles to see them each night. A remark such as yours is either based on jealousy or you are just ignorant.

By the way, you just lost the 10 bucks you put at stake. I will gladly receive them and will invest those in a sealed set, just to piss you off.

There are probably at least 1000 MISB Pirate Sets available on Bricklink. Combined that with Ebay and all the sets we do not know about. (We are naive to think there aren't people out there who are simply hording 100s of Lego MISB sets from 1980-1997 and waiting to sell them 20 years from now at ridiculous prices).

We are also naive to believe there are 1000's of MISB Pirate sets left in the world. You haven't even done research and you're just going on assumption which isn't a very clever way to come to a conclusion. Yes, there probably are people hording MISB sets but how many people could afford this and how many people realised the value in this sets 15-20 years ago? Not many. If everyone was like you then we'd have no MISB sets left whatsoever!

Right now are only 31 MISB SYSTEM pirate sets on Bricklink and most of them are only small sets. Take a look for yourself.

The result returns 78 matches but this also includes 4+ and Duplo sets, accessories like 5060 Pirate Cannon and 5150 Pirate Accessories Elements and non Pirate sets like 1411 Pirate's Treasure Hunt (Quaker Oats promo) and LegoLand Pirate with Parrot .

Meanwhile eBay only returns 13 results for Pirate LEGO MISB and only 1 of those is a SYSTEM Pirate set. Obviously this is only a quick search and some sellers don't properly describe their items, although someone with a MISB Pirate LEGO set usually knows what they've got and makes sure its easily found. But 1 MISB Pirate set on the whole of eBay? There might be more tomorrow but I don't believe there will be anymore than 10 MISB Pirate sets at one time - and that's really generous.

Your believe that there are 1000's of MISB Pirate sets for sale is absurd! There's not. If you think I'm wrong show me the evidence because I don't believe it. If there was that many I'd have they wouldn't be so expensive and there would be more in circulation on eBay and Bricklink. It seems you're living in the dark Mr Sting!

bet you ten bucks that phes and jamtf bpth kiss their misb sets goodnight....

You got a problem with that? :-D

Right now are only 31 MISB SYSTEM pirate sets on Bricklink and most of them are only small sets. Take a look for yourself.

The result returns 78 matches but this also includes 4+ and Duplo sets, accessories like 5060 Pirate Cannon and 5150 Pirate Accessories Elements and non Pirate sets like 1411 Pirate's Treasure Hunt (Quaker Oats promo) and LegoLand Pirate with Parrot .

Phes, your search keyword "pirate" on BL obviously missed the huge sets without pirate in the set name such as 6248 (7 available), 6277 (2 available), 6279 (7 available) 6285 (1 available), 6286 (3 available), 6296 (11 available) for instance and the sealed Islander sets which I consider pirate themed sets as well. 8-|

I must have made an error (maybe on purpose too >8-) ). Could you give me the link to a search that yields those results?

I must have made an error (maybe on purpose too >8-) ). Could you give me the link to a search that yields those results?

I think I found a way.

Check this link:

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?viewFr...rchSort=P&sz=10

Done through the search engine and filter down to all pirate sets in new condition. It sums up a total of 352 lots (at the time of writing). 8-o It includes however the 4+ line of sets (verified, see last pages) and perhaps even the Duplo ones although I did not check the latter.

The last 8 pages are 4+ sets and the sellers seem to have more of them in stock than the SYSTEM sets. 2 pages are filled with the re-releases.

This search also includes MIB sets and ISB but they're definitely not in mint condition.

Even though your search has yielded more results there's by no means 1000's of MISB sets on BrickLink. Really there's not even 100's because about half of the MISB are the 4+ sets.

The last 8 pages are 4+ sets and the sellers seem to have more of them in stock than the SYSTEM sets. 2 pages are filled with the re-releases.

This search also includes MIB sets and ISB but they're definitely not in mint condition.

Even though your search has yielded more results there's by no means 1000's of MISB sets on BrickLink. Really there's not even 100's because about half of the MISB are the 4+ sets.

You may be right there Phes.

MIB sets are the ones that are never touched but with broken seals, correct? ISB would mean that the box is still sealed with unused parts but in bad condition or damaged / shelf worn, am I correct asuming this Phes?

There may not be 1000s around but we must not forget about the ones that are not yet "found" and the ones that currently remain in people's collections. And of course, there is the eBay auctions and perhaps even more sources that we simply forgot.

Anyway, I think it is nice to own a pristine set (does not necessarily have to be sealed, since MIB with box seals broken but box in good condition is OK for me too) that is still in the same condition as it left the factory, especially if the box is in equally as good condition. I respect anyone else's opinion in this matter but this is how I think about it. No bite marks, no other damages + no missing pieces and excellent instructions + all catalogues included. Can it get any better than that? Hardly.

MIB sets are the ones that are never touched but with broken seals, correct?

That is correct!

ISB would mean that the box is still sealed with unused parts but in bad condition or damaged / shelf worn, am I correct asuming this Phes?

Actually I made ISB up because I've never seen it written anywhere before, but your assumption is correct!

I would be quite willing to bet there are at least a 1000 MISB System Pirate sets. Maybe not "Thousands" but at least over 1000. I am not in the dark, my information was simply out of date on Bricklink. (A few years ago I remember a seller having 30 MISB Imperial Armada Flagship, and 36 MISB Red Beard RUnners) Plus a few others.

Yes, you have proved my wrong on Bricklink, but if there are 100 MISB System Pirate sets on Bricklink right now, There probably 100s more that will be put on sale in the future, as people aquire them. Than we have the eBay thing (horders selling MISB System Pirate sets 1x1), and we haven't even counted Lego's hording (which they sell off from time to time (I Believe this happened not too long ago, releasing a bunch of sets from the vault? I do not know if they do this with Pirate lego).

You have proved to me right now that there are only 100 MISB Pirate sets for sale right now, but you know as well as I do this changes. eBay sometimes has 10 pages of Pirate listings and other times no more than 2.

I cannot prove that there are over a thousand Pirate System MISB lego sets and you cannot prove to me that there aren't thousands. No one will win this debate because no matter what evidence you give, the fact of the matter is new MISB Pirate sets will pop up and collectors confess to owning them. The world is a big place Phes.

I just don't understand why I am insulted again ("If everyone was like you we would have no MISB". "Like you". Very professional) for simply saying I enjoy opening Lego and building with it.

I will say it again. Get over it. And for the record, , even if I was "in the dark" over the subjectI would prefer to be in the dark over how much MISB Pirate Lego is in the world,. It is much more favourable than being "in the dark" over logic and respecting fellow Pirate Lego fans.

I'm done with this absolutely endless debate. I guess opinions do not matter on this board.

A few years ago I remember a seller having 30 MISB Imperial Armada Flagship, and 36 MISB Red Beard RUnners) Plus a few others.
I cannot prove that there are over a thousand Pirate System MISB lego sets and you cannot prove to me that there aren't thousands.

Ok, I don't care if there are thousands or millions of MISB Pirate sets in existence. The point are there is only a handful available for sale. But I don't need to prove something doesn't exist, the evidence lies in the fact there's nothing to suggest they do exist.

No one will win this debate because no matter what evidence you give, the fact of the matter is new MISB Pirate sets will pop up and collectors confess to owning them. The world is a big place Phes.

What you're failing to realise despite the world being a "big place" there is becoming LESS and LESS MISB Pirate sets. No matter how many "pop up" the number will never increase nor remain the same, it will only decrease with each set that is opened.

10-15 years ago it wasn't as common to be an AFOL and therefore there were not as many collectors. Seriously, how many adults do you think were rich to build a collection of MISB Pirate sets in the mid 90's?

In my 5 years of researching Pirate LEGO online I've only ever come across one person that has had multiple copies of MISB Pirate sets that he's willing to sell. So I bought 5 off him... If these people are so common then why aren't there more of them? Do they not visit forums like this? Do they hide their online presence?

I just don't understand why I am insulted again ("If everyone was like you we would have no MISB". "Like you". Very professional) for simply saying I enjoy opening Lego and building with it.

What wasn't intended to be an insult, but I was poking fun at you. I should have used the :-P smiley.

What do you mean very professional? I didn't realise there was any formilisation required in this thread.

I'm done with this absolutely endless debate. I guess opinions do not matter on this board.

Of course you opinion matters, you shouldn't be taking this too seriously though.

The reason the debate has gone on so long is you keep adding fuel to the fire. First of all you said "Its only a toy" so that lead me to explaining that doesn't matter, so then you said you understood that and went in a different direction with the "there's 1000's of MISB Pirate sets".

It seems you were trying to find justifications for opening the sets but you could have wrote nothing after sharing your opinion and there wouldn't have been a debate in the first place!

Negative. My only justification for opening the sets is because I enjoy doing so. I don't need any other. LOL. I just don't think it is as big of deal as you make it out to be!

I shouldn't expect posters to be professional, but I do not expect them to be childish either :P.

And yes, I said I was done, but I must explain my ultimate point of view before it ends.

I like building the sets. I find that more valueable to me, that feeling from building a new set and remembering it. I know that sets lose their "newness" after a few weeks, but for me, it is forever. I find any set that I remember opening and building and tinkering with having more value than buying used pieces or pieces I don't remember building with. I respect people for keeping the boxes in pristine condition, but to me the value is in building. I think there is enough sets in the world for me not to have to worry about it.

There.

THe only reason the +4 sets are misb or mib is because they wern't worth opening in the first place!

just to play Captain Foul's advocate on behalf of Mr. Sting... X-D

As was mentioned in the yellowing thread all lego deteriorates over time unless kept in a completely dark room... Any lego you display or build with (especially play) is thus being destroyed (albeit gradually) by you. In the case of old grey and other old pieces, just like MISB sets there is now a finite amount. So if you have any vintage lego which is not stored in a secure, darkened location, preferably a vacuum; you are helping to destroy this commodity. You've built a few MOCs Mr. Phes, so I am going to have to accuse you of contributing to the destruction of the endangered species of old grey... those parts shouldn't be being used even if you did buy them not-MISB. They should be preserved in the condition you bought them and never used, displayed, looked at, or removed from utter darkness. Thank you for helping to preserve these rare and valuable pieces. I am sure your descendants will appreciate knowing they are in that darkened room (although seeing for themselves would of course be disastrous to the preservation project and thus not allowed)...

X-D X-D X-D

God Bless,

Nathan

THe only reason the +4 sets are misb or mib is because they wern't worth opening in the first place!

True that!

just to play Captain Foul's advocate on behalf of Mr. Sting... X-D

As was mentioned in the yellowing thread all lego deteriorates over time unless kept in a completely dark room... Any lego you display or build with (especially play) is thus being destroyed (albeit gradually) by you. In the case of old grey and other old pieces, just like MISB sets there is now a finite amount. So if you have any vintage lego which is not stored in a secure, darkened location, preferably a vacuum; you are helping to destroy this commodity. You've built a few MOCs Mr. Phes, so I am going to have to accuse you of contributing to the destruction of the endangered species of old grey... those parts shouldn't be being used even if you did buy them not-MISB. They should be preserved in the condition you bought them and never used, displayed, looked at, or removed from utter darkness. Thank you for helping to preserve these rare and valuable pieces. I am sure your descendants will appreciate knowing they are in that darkened room (although seeing for themselves would of course be disastrous to the preservation project and thus not allowed)...

X-D X-D X-D

God Bless,

Nathan

LoL. Good point Norro. X-D (Probably the best.smiley.ever)

Maybe part of this thread should be divided into "To Open, or not to Open" - why we choose to open or keep sealed as it has enough off-topic to be divided.

I'm glad I started a MISB argument :-/ . I'm not sure if so, but do you have a most prized lego set MisterPhes, I don't think you posted yours.

Negative. My only justification for opening the sets is because I enjoy doing so.

Thats all you needed to write then, no need for the "They're only toys" and the "There's 1000's left tangents"

You've built a few MOCs Mr. Phes, so I am going to have to accuse you of contributing to the destruction of the endangered species of old grey... those parts shouldn't be being used even if you did buy them not-MISB. They should be preserved in the condition you bought them and never used, displayed, looked at, or removed from utter darkness.

If you're accusing me you're also incriminating just about everyone who has built a MOC, including yourself . So what you're saying eventually ALL old grey is eventually going to change colour no matter what, unless they're kept unused and in utter darkness they're going to discolour?

Fortunately I'm preserving old grey in my MISB box collection and if nobody perserved MISB sets then old grey wouldn't be preserved in the process. ;-) You would agree the amount of "used" grey far surpasses the amount of MISB sets, and a single grey piece does not hold the value of entire MISB set so its not really equal comparison (oooooo hypocrisy X-D ).

Now that you've brought this to my attention I shall make more conscious effort to preserve old grey.

Thank you for helping to preserve these rare and valuable pieces. I am sure your descendants will appreciate knowing they are in that darkened room (although seeing for themselves would of course be disastrous to the preservation project and thus not allowed)...

You're quite welcome Mr Norro, although you seem to have made quite some inaccurate assumptions. When finances permit I intend to display all my MISB LEGO in conditions that ensure their longevity. There's no point keeping them locked up and out of view forever because that would be such a waste. Like any artifact they should be available for all to see but obviously measures must be taken to keep them in the best condition possible.

I'm glad I started a MISB argument :-/ . I'm not sure if so, but do you have a most prized lego set MisterPhes, I don't think you posted yours.

I think I might have split the thread first....

Naw, just leave it.....G The smiley I posted keeps CHANGING!!! It goes from slanted to a horizantle mouth. I think they have the same codes MisterPhes.

Thats all you needed to write then, no need for the "They're only toys" and the "There's 1000's left tangents"

Check your quotes Phes! LoL. I stand by everything I said, so I am still happy with my points.

If you're accusing me you're also incriminating just about everyone who has built a MOC, including yourself . So what you're saying eventually ALL old grey...

I think you missed Norro's point! X-D

I stand by everything I said, so I am still happy with my points.

You mean your unsubstantiated assumptions. :-D

I think you missed Norro's point! X-D

Kindly paraphrase Norro's point so its clear for all to read...

Kindly paraphrase Norro's point so its clear for all to read...

We are all guilty of ruining irreplaceable lego... you included. So your preservation of a few MISB sets is similar (to borrow your analogy from earlier) to killing all the endangered species in the world except a few in a zoo...

X-D X-D X-D

God Bless (as always),

Nathan

The different between MISB and old grey is there are significantly less MISB Pirate sets and its a lot easier to acquire old grey. Furthermore comparing a parts to a complete package isn't exactly the same thing as the sum of all parts combined are greater than the parts separately.

I shall repeat the MISB sets contain old grey so by preserving those the grey old grey gets preserved along with it. The old grey I acquired was already second hand and those before me were responsible for desecrating its purity. Nevertheless I think some old grey should be preserved.

But what are you getting at Mr Norro, should we not make an effort to preserve ANY LEGO? And sadly zoos are the only reason some species still exist, however animals breed but MISB Pirate LEGO sets do not.

But what are you getting at Mr Norro, should we not make an effort to preserve ANY LEGO?

I am just demonstrating that you have decided not to preserve a certain perishable commodity, and have belittled its importance in relation to another. By similar logic Sting could determine that all Lego is of lesser importance than say an ancient egyptian artifact...

No further argument, I'm glad you are preserving some lego, I just think your logic can be extrapolated to different degrees by different people...

God Bless,

Nathan

I already said in the future I was taking measures to preserve old grey in lieu of you educating me Mr Norro. Where did you get the idea that I wasn't planning to preserve it?

Now I must ask Mr Norro, if you happened to come in possession of a Classic Castle set in MISB, lets say the original Yellow Castle or 6080 King's Castle would you open them?