Mister Phes

Would you open a MISB SYSTEM Pirate set?

Mint In Sealed Box SYSTEM Pirate LEGO Sets  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Would you open them?

• Yes, LEGO was meant to be played with
    • No, they're now rare collectors items which need to be preserved
    • Depends on the set - some are more valuable than others
  2. 2. How many MISB SYSTEM Pirate sets do you think remain?

• 1000's
    • 100's
    • dozens
    • I really have no idea

30CN is around the twenties of the USD I believe. If not then at least the teens.

:'-( . 1. It's a joke(I'm sure your aware of that). 2. If I had a chance to come up with MISB sets, I would keep them like that. Unfortunately, I don't have any besides the one I posted earlier.

Yes, it was a joke but you took it too far by exaggerating things a little too drastically which made it look like you were belittling me. :-/ A sealed set is a sealed set, no more and no less. :-/

I am technically helping you guys. Keeping these sets rare makes yours much more valuable. You guys can make a killing off of them if you ever want to sell them. I must admit I even have a MISB Set, an Rebel Snowspeeder I got for $10.00CDN... which I plan on keeping 10 years or so and than selling for a high high price.

:( Yeah, that's fine if we already have the sets, but most of us don't so therefore you're increasing the price and that isn't helping us!

Besides, nobody can "keep these sets rare" because the only way they can become "less rare" is if The LEGO Company begins producing them again, and they have to be identical to how they were when they were first released. There is a 99.9% chance this will never happen because even if they were released the box art would be completely different.

:( Yeah, that's fine if we already have the sets, but most of us don't so therefore you're increasing the price and that isn't helping us!

Besides, nobody can "keep these sets rare" because the only way they can become "less rare" is if The LEGO Company begins producing them again, and they have to be identical to how they were when they were first released. There is a 99.9% chance this will never happen because even if they were released the box art would be completely different.

True. Lego will never re-release in the exact same way. Look at the legends for instance, set is a perfect copy in the exact same colors and bricks as the real thing, box art however totally different. Discontinued sets can also be recognized by the year of first release on the box which will be different on a legend set. Check out the original boxes and box art of 6278, 6280, 6285 and 6289 and compare those to 6292, 6291, 10040 and 6290. Besides the obvious difference, even the set numbers have changed. Same goes for the classic town 6390 Main Street re-issue (10041).

8-| . This thread is going off topic, btw.

Sorry, jamtf if I offended you.

Check out the original boxes and box art of 6278, 6280, 6285 and 6289 and compare those to 6292, 6291, 10040 and 6290. Besides the obvious difference, even the set numbers have changed.

And there's another packaging difference, sets like Rock Island Refuge released in 1991 had the yellow border with "LEGOLAND" written diagonally in the top left hand corner. However, the packaging was changed in 1992 to the purple border with "SYSTEM" written next to the LEGO Logo. So some Rock Island Refuges have the LEGOLAND style boxes while the later sets have the SYSTEM style boxes.

Then there's all the regional variations. I.e. In some places (particular the USA I think) had the name of the set written on the box while other places didn't. And some had a sub-theme logo in the top right hand corner - I think that might have also been the USA. Not sure about other locations.

I like the LegoLand themed boxes the best. Look most original. That's quite alot of variations MisterPhes.

30CN is around the twenties of the USD I believe. If not then at least the teens.

:'-( . 1. It's a joke(I'm sure your aware of that). 2. If I had a chance to come up with MISB sets, I would keep them like that. Unfortunately, I don't have any besides the one I posted earlier.

I think its funny how you are defending yourself for making a joke, but you obviously didn't get mine about Canadian Currency. X-D

I am from Canada. The exchange rate is somewherea round .87 or .88 USD for 1 CAD. I keep an eye on it as I am going to Florida in May.

And there's another packaging difference, sets like Rock Island Refuge released in 1991 had the yellow border with "LEGOLAND" written diagonally in the top left hand corner. However, the packaging was changed in 1992 to the purple border with "SYSTEM" written next to the LEGO Logo. So some Rock Island Refuges have the LEGOLAND style boxes while the later sets have the SYSTEM style boxes.

Then there's all the regional variations. I.e. In some places (particular the USA I think) had the name of the set written on the box while other places didn't. And some had a sub-theme logo in the top right hand corner - I think that might have also been the USA. Not sure about other locations.

I happen to have a 6267 Lagoon-Lock-Up (yes, it is still sealed X-D)with the older yellow border Legoland box while I have seen it numerous times with the younger purple System box.

US System boxes tend to have the black and red triangle in the top right corner with "Pirates" and jolly roger patern. European sets do not have this. The US Legoland boxes had the yellow Legoland border with "Pirate System" written underneath while European varieties just had plain Legoland in blue without additional remarks. Same goes for the Legoland "Castle System" sets and perhaps other sets of different lines.

US boxes also had the name on the box, another difference with the European issues. You are again correct Phes. That's why so many US sellers perfectly know how to describe the set including the most common name for it since it is written on the box. They do not need to check out the internet to learn more. Also, Lugnet and BrickLink tend to use the US names for sets while they were named differently in other parts of the world such as the UK and Australia (Skulls Eye Schooner vs. The Black Skull) for instance.

And yes, we went off topic for a bit.

None taken, thanks for your consideration.

It could be depending upon how you look at it, but it seems the MISB phenomena can have an influence over how some people determine what is a prized set.

Hell yes. I've already had an offer of $500 for it.

Nice sum. I presume 500 USD. You could buy a lot of Lego for that but this might be virtually irreplaceable. At least, you will need to wait a long time before you can buy one. A sealed 6285 is really a treasure to own, same goes for a sealed 6286 of course. They can be quite easily obtained in used condition but a sealed copy of this set is a rare species and they get rarer every day a new example is being opened for building purposes.

Imagine a little boy getting this set for his birthday or at Christmas time. First thing he would do is build it which is quite understandable since children don't care about keeping sets such as this MISB. Usually, MISB sets of this nature come from adult collectors who bought more than one set when they were new (6285 between 1989 and 1993 and the 6286 between 1993 and 1996) or they got forgotten by accident and have been stored away in the attic ever since. That's why they will always fetch a high price since the adult collector who decides to part with it usually knows the market value perfectly well.

You could buy a lot of Lego for that but this might be virtually irreplaceable. At least, you will need to wait a long time before you can buy one. A sealed 6285 is really a treasure to own, same goes for a sealed 6286 of course. They can be quite easily obtained in used condition but a sealed copy of this set is a rare species and they get rarer every day a new example is being opened for building purposes.

All thanks to people like Mr Sting! X-D

Some time ago, the same discussion has taken place on classic-castle.com. Opinions went 2 different ways, either you like to open the set, feel the new bricks and build it or you keep it sealed as long as you own it. There were people over there who would even consider opening a huge set such as a sealed 6081 king's mountain fortress. That would be a waste of money I would think since those kind of sets sell for a lot of money when they are new.

I agree it is very very very nice to open a brand new LEGO set with the pristine pieces and that "new" LEGO smell. But as I have come to appreciate the value of rare items I'd never open a MISB LEGO set (even non Pirate sets) that was no longer in production.

Preserving these rare items is more important than experiencing initial high of opening and building a set. Exactly how long does that last anyway? A couple of hours? The pieces lose their "newness" within a couple of days and then its just another "used" LEGO set. No longer special.

I'd feel very selfish "killing" a MISB set just so I could experience that high, it would be like killing an elephant just for the thrill of the hunt.

I guess my point is I just don't want to keep a brand new Lego set all sealed up and doing nothing with it. I know others love it - I don't collect stamps, but many do. I respect people who keep there sets like that because it is a hobby, but I would just hate to keep it like that, as it would do nothing for me.

Keeping a new Lego set sealed is like a hobby. Some people enjoy it, others don't. I do not. :)

I agree it is very very very nice to open a brand new LEGO set with the pristine pieces and that "new" LEGO smell. But as I have come to appreciate the value of rare items I'd never open a MISB LEGO set (even non Pirate sets) that was no longer in production.

Preserving these rare items is more important than experiencing initial high of opening and building a set. Exactly how long does that last anyway? A couple of hours? The pieces lose their "newness" within a couple of days and then its just another "used" LEGO set. No longer special.

I know what you mean. Today, I built my used 6289 red beard runner. Bricks were as new and I can only assume that the set was built only once or twice. Lots of extra bricks too. I washed the set, gave the white bricks some extra treatment to get rid of some yellowing and it really looks as new. No need to open my sealed example, this one will do fine for building purposes and it is the same except not new of course but fortunately the bricks condition is almost just as good (no bite marks or heavy scratching).

I guess my point is I just don't want to keep a brand new Lego set all sealed up and doing nothing with it.

Then why acquire them in the first place when there are plenty more sets already opened?

Keeping a new Lego set sealed is like a hobby. Some people enjoy it, others don't. I do not. :)

I don't enjoy it one bit. I'd love to open and build too, but I have morals. I wish the sets were still in production so I could open them. But they're not.

Maybe you'll understand when you're older. Hopefully by then its not too late.

I think your getting a little ridiculous considering the fact we are talking about a toy. Saying I don't have morals because I open Lego sets? That is most pathetic logic I have ever seen. Keep your boxes all sealed up, I do not care. If thats what it takes to make you feel better about yourself, that is fine, but do not insist I have no morals because I open a TOY. You're being pathetic. I hope when I am older I do not use such childish and weak reasoning. You should try not to get offended by others opinions. Lego is a toy. A Toy. Read that a few more times, let it sink in. A Toy. Pirate Lego in particular was made for 7 years in the late 80s to mid 90s. This is not an artifact. I will open them if I aquire them. Get over it. jamtf has, why can't you?

Yes, it bothers me when someone tells me I do not have morals.

Now! Now! Don't get feisty laddie.

Like I said just because its a toy it doesn't make it less precious than anything else that is rare. I don't think you understand, but don't worry about it.

However, I did not say you have no morals, I said I had morals. Morals pertaining to me, not necessarily anyone else. Do you see the difference there?

You have morals regarding a toy. That is fine. I do too. But not the same as yours. When you say "I will not open a set, because I have morals" it implies that one who opens set has no morals - period. I think a better way to have said it is that "I will not open a set, because I do not believe it is right" or "I have morals regarding such a thing".

I know that a toy can be valuable, but I know there are people out there preserving Lego sets. If there were 10 MISB Pirate Lego sets left in the world, obviously I would see a reason for me to keep it sealed. But there are 1000s for sale currently and 1000s we don't even know about. They will be around for long to come. I understand where you are coming from. I understood the whole time. I just do not feel the same. Let me put it this way: the issue is not that I don't understand, its that I do not agree with you and choose not to adhere to it. Thats all there is to it.

Lego wasn't made in the 3rd Century BC. It is not ancient history critical to the understanding of mankind.

You have morals regarding a toy. That is fine. I do too. But not the same as yours. When you say "I will not open a set, because I have morals" it implies that one who opens set has no morals - period. I think a better way to have said it is that "I will not open a set, because I do not believe it is right" or "I have morals regarding such a thing".

Perhaps to you but we all have different ways of phrasing and interpreting messages, I've explained what I meant so don't worry about it.

I know that a toy can be valuable, but I know there are people out there preserving Lego sets. If there were 10 MISB Pirate Lego sets left in the world, obviously I would see a reason for me to keep it sealed. But there are 1000s for sale currently and 1000s we don't even know about. They will be around for long to come.

How do you know there are 1000's left? Where the evidence to suggest this?

Lego wasn't made in the 3rd Century BC. It is not ancient history critical to the understanding of mankind.

Does it have to be made in 3rd Century BC to be precious and rare?

You probably could argue that I don't respect your wish to use the LEGO for its intended purpose, and its selfish of me to horde LEGO sets that could be put to better use. ;-)

Perhaps to you but we all have different ways of phrasing and interpreting messages, I've explained what I meant so don't worry about it.

I have already forgot. :)

How do you know there are 1000's left? Where the evidence to suggest this?

There are probably at least 1000 MISB Pirate Sets available on Bricklink. Combined that with Ebay and all the sets we do not know about. (We are naive to think there aren't people out there who are simply hording 100s of Lego MISB sets from 1980-1997 and waiting to sell them 20 years from now at ridiculous prices).

Does it have to be made in 3rd Century BC to be precious and rare?

You probably could argue that I don't respect your wish to use the LEGO for its intended purpose, and its selfish of me to horde LEGO sets that could be put to better use. ;-)

No, but I find that a toy better be that old to be upset about if one opens it instead of keeping it sealed.

It does not bother me that you do not use Lego how it is intended, because It is your opinion, your money, your set, and what you do with it is up to you. It is not selfish, it is simply what you want to do with the set! You don't owe it anyone to keep the set preserved. As much as you say you would like to open it, you obviously want to keep it sealed more. Whether it is your morals on the issue or not, its what you want to do with the set. Besides, you should be happy I'm not one of those trolls who buy MISB sets, open them, and then sell the parts for high prices. At least I am attempting to build Pirate MOCs from time to time!

Maybe lego has an underground storage place where they keep producing MISB sets from when ever and "magically" they appear in places for people to sell them. That would be a neat idea, expecially if you were the one getting it. Actually, The reason I keep my MISB, MISB is because it's a nice small set not to be undisturbed. Now if it were a bigger MISB, I might take the lettter opener to it.