BrickPerfection

More ships for the fleet!

Ok, that is amazing, will be a huge inspiration for my next ship, (still a few months away but) this is just ah

nevermind im speachless. you've got to be the best minifig illusion scale ship MOCer around!

Now I see this image again, there's something which you might want to improve.

I like it that you've added studding sails, and they look great, but perhaps they could be attached slightly different.

[...]

Anyway, it's just a very small detail and of course you're free to do whatever you want, but concerning your user name you might like to know this for future builds. Good luck! :thumbup:

Thanks, Admiral! I will most certainly do my very best to find a more "perfect" solution. ;-)

By the way, this might also solve my problem how to attach the bottom of the sails. :-)

Absolutely unbelievable! I am missing the words… :wub: The way she is built, with so much elegance, and the stern… I never thought it possible to put so much detail in a stern built on a prefab hull… But it is! And what a stern! The pumps, lamps and details are also unmissable! Now I also see where all the dragon wings from BL have gone :tongue: They are so beautiful as an ornament!

I have thinking (actually before I saw this) in making a ship with removable sections. I wonder how strong she has to be in structural terms to support that. Have you had to rearrange the structure you used in the Achille to make it strong enough for the side hinges? And how practical are those removable sections, i.e. are they easily removable?

Perhaps it has escaped you, but here

img_2763.jpg

The jib boom is a bit bent, I've also found it hard to stretch the ropes enough but without benting the yards.

This is possibly my favourite prefab ship to the date :blush:

Edited by Frank Brick Wright

I am very impressed! And as a big fan of the "Master and Commander Series" of books, I must say, I find this a great representation of the age of tall ships - yet you still managed to give it that "Lego-y" feel, that it would fit with the minifigs :)

Double ration of grog for you, good sir!

Bregir

I'm offically asking permission to try to use the removable wall technic for the next version (mark 3.0) of my ship, the Ares - my removable deck bends like a U and I hate it. So I World like to try your Wall version for a change.

Pefectionist is back! With a stunning, stunning collection of ships. :wub:

Absolutely lovely, a gift for the eyes.

It's just that awesome. :blush:

The shapes, the masts and sails, the interior and all those details! A masterpiece to be proud of mate. :thumbup:

I have nothing to add, honestly.. Okay, I've just added one thing. :wink:

I am very impressed! And as a big fan of the "Master and Commander Series" of books, I must say, I find this a great representation of the age of tall ships - yet you still managed to give it that "Lego-y" feel, that it would fit with the minifigs :)

Double ration of grog for you, good sir!

Bregir

Well said. Finished my third trip through the POB canon a few months ago.

Absolutely unbelievable! I am missing the words… :wub: The way she is built, with so much elegance, and the stern… I never thought it possible to put so much detail in a stern built on a prefab hull… [...]

I have thinking (actually before I saw this) in making a ship with removable sections. I wonder how strong she has to be in structural terms to support that. Have you had to rearrange the structure you used in the Achille to make it strong enough for the side hinges? And how practical are those removable sections, i.e. are they easily removable?

Perhaps it has escaped you, but here [...]

The jib boom is a bit bent, I've also found it hard to stretch the ropes enough but without benting the yards.

This is possibly my favourite prefab ship to the date :blush:

Thanks for your comment! The structure is the same as in the earlier version of Achille - no trouble at all. They way I build ships on prefabs is to put all structural reinforcements below the gundeck, so all the interior doesn't need to contribute to strength. In the end you gain a lot of freedom for constructing the decks and still the entire model remains very sturdy. By the way, modern trains like the ICE are constructed in similar manner with a strong base and light upper body.

Well I think that hardly noticable bending is a bit over the top nitpicking - you said yourself that it isn't really posible to avoid that, and I even saw a little bending on higly detailed wood models. :wink:

I'm offically asking permission to try to use the removable wall technic for the next version (mark 3.0) of my ship, the Ares - my removable deck bends like a U and I hate it. So I World like to try your Wall version for a change.

Well, obviously I can't stop anyone from copying stuff I post online and even though I tried to encourage giving credit some time ago there just isn't any culture to do so and over the course of time people tend to forget who initially invented or first made use of a specific technique.

While I feel a little sad about that, I'm more than happy when a builder provides information about his sources and inspirations and maybe even a link. If you'd do that, you can feel encouraged to take whatever technique you like and blend it with your own individual touch. If you've got questions how something comes together you can send me a pm. I'm happy to share a few secrets, but I can't provide full building instructions (somebody asked my a while ago :tongue: ).

By the way, how's your fleet progressing? I think I remember seeing three ships of yours in the making?

Pefectionist is back! With a stunning, stunning collection of ships. :wub:

Absolutely lovely, a gift for the eyes.

It's just that awesome. :blush:

The shapes, the masts and sails, the interior and all those details! A masterpiece to be proud of mate. :thumbup:

I have nothing to add, honestly.. Okay, I've just added one thing. :wink:

Thanks Captain! Well I happen to come and go... life has been a bit turbulent for me the last two years, and I've been quite uncertain which role Lego can still play for me. For the moment finishing what I've begun is what I'm looking forward too. Maybe there will be a new project at some point, maybe not. :blush:

The details are amazing! And your techniques are very innovative, again you are one of my favorite ship builders......

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

I'm with you on the fact about giving Credit :)

Who needs instructions. It's more fun for me to find my own solutions ... Even if I still get crazy when I try to make headrails look good.... And any other tube color than yellow is quite a challenge. There must be a different in the plastic.

As for my fleet. At the Peak there where 2 english frigates and a frenchman (a complete CGH Version) and 2 brigs. but I had to break them up. At the Moment I'm rebuilding The Ares and the Carribean Queen.

But It will be a while until There will be pictures again.

The details are amazing! And your techniques are very innovative, again you are one of my favorite ship builders......

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

Thanks! I've got a more recent photo which I'd ask you to put on the blog:

img_4530.jpg

Like I said, she's complete apart from studding sails. :wub:

Don't forget,there's also the other frigate: Magicienne; an almost-sistership on 7 midsections which I've actually build first. She's quite similar in terms of technique, but still an individual ship.

Thanks! I've got a more recent photo which I'd ask you to put on the blog:

No problem. Thanks for the additional picture of this beauty!

Now this is Magicienne, she's a 38gun super frigate build on 7 midsections. "Super frigate" refers to the fact that around 1780 normal frigates where much smaller and carried less heavy guns. The French were among the first to build such ships, causing a lot of panic in the Royal Navy!

Magicienne ad Concorde are quasi-sisterships meaning they share many techniques and the same bow and basic stern design, but have different dimensions; just like Achille and Guerrière. I've build Magicienne first, Concorde was build in a rush in less than a week with parts I had left. :grin:

I've build both frigates according to plans from the book "The History of the French Frigate 1650-1850" by the famous Jean Boudriot. This means they are rather historically accurate, especially the sail and mast dimensions. I've designed the sailplan in accordance with the regulations of the French Navy between 1760 and 1781. This is also true for studding sails. For the colourscheme and stern I've taken some inspiration from the replica of the french frigate "Hermione".

I61nS8G-JtmL._SL500_.jpg

The picture quality isn't great, but I've been too lazy to take new ones.

img_2880.jpg

img_2884.jpg

img_2885.jpg

img_2887.jpg

img_2888.jpg

img_2890.jpg

img_2892.jpg

img_2897.jpg

img_2903.jpg

img_2905.jpg

img_2906.jpg

img_2908.jpg

img_2919.jpg

img_2925.jpg

img_2927.jpg

img_2931.jpg

img_2936.jpg

wow, those retractable walls are just totally nice. I also like your pumps, (what's Lenzpumpe in English?) such an important detail but I doubt I've ever seen it in a Lego ship before!

Edited by kabel

Right, so the "leftovers", a couple of bricks :grin: I specially like the last photo, the sails are terrific and IMO its her best angle (after all the stays are still missing).

The woven and pumps… :wub: The only think I'd change is the shield at the stern, I find its colours, mostly the green, a bit off.

Have visited the Hermione? I can't really say why but I feel like the frigate lacks the degree of refinement (even though it isn't completed yet) of the best scale models, like yours.

thats an awesome fleet!

want to do me a favour? put both frigates and the brig in a line and take a stern view photo :)

Hello everyone!

Well it has (again) been a while since I've mentioned that my fleet is completed. Unfortunately I haven't found the time to take pictures until last weekend. I am however not quite as good at photographing and presenting my MOCs as I'd like to be (if anyone could give me a few hints how to arrange the setting, lighting and editing that would be very much appreciated :grin: ). Once I have more and better pictures I'll make threads with more pictures for each (pair) of ships, or maybe just one with continued updates for all of them? I guess I'll have to figure that out too. I'd also really love to bring in some live by adding a crew, show several ships together, maybe fighting each other, and so on...

Now what do I have? Well 8 (!) complete ships (in minifigure illusion scale) with a total of 170 guns and one mortar :innocent2:

Guerrière, a small, but nimble frigate (24guns)

guerriere1.jpg

guerriere2.jpg

guerriere3.jpg

guerriere4.jpg

Achille, a medium sized, fast frigate (28 guns)

achille1.jpg

achille2.jpg

achille3.jpg

achille4.jpg

Concorde, first of a next generation of frigates (32 guns)

concorde1.jpg

concorde2.jpg

concorde3.jpg

concorde4.jpg

Magicienne, a true super frigate (38 guns), also the flagship of the fleet

magicienne1.jpg

magicienne2.jpg

magicienne3.jpg

magicienne4.jpg

Médée, a fast brig-of-war (18 guns)

medee1.jpg

medee2.jpg

medee3.jpg

Furieuse, a purpose-built bomb ketch (10 guns and one mortar)

furieuse1.jpg

Aigle, a navy sloop (10 guns)

aigle1.jpg

Sirène, built to the same plans as Aigle, but operated by a privateer

sirene1.jpg

Well, I guess the French crown now has superiority in these waters :pir-wink:

Outstanding!! I think you really found a perfect way of making LEGO sailing ships!

Everything looks very smooth and I like the way you gave each frigate a distinct look despite using the same technique.

So what are your plans with this fleet? Put them on display? Bring them to a museum? Use them for Brick comics?

I think its fair to (once again) say that these are som eof (if not the) best lego ships ever.

congrats on being awesome, everytime i see your ships I am inspired to venture back to pirates!

Wow the stern on Magicienne is absolutely fantastic. She turned out to be a real beauty! I also like the way you did the studding sails, that's something I've wanted to do for some time now. If you would like some help with photography I can give you some tips (if you like the way my photos turned out). Here's a pic of my "studio" that I set up strictly for ship photography:

P1080613.JPG

It really has very little to do with the camera, more to do with the lighting and the background I find. Perhaps I can make a tutorial or just PM me and I can see if I can help. Plus, if you upload some good photos with neutral backgrounds your fleet and mine can do battle with a little assistance from photoshop! That is, if you think Magicienne could take down Persephone :devil_laugh:

Seriously though you have an outstanding fleet. Best frigates I've seen with some superb details. Looking forward to seeing some crew aboard :thumbup:

:jollyroger: Dread Pirate Wesley