Sign in to follow this  
piterx

1 - N - 2 (probably) smallest gearbox possible

i dont know if somone created it before me but anyway...

here's the solution i've found trying to assembly a 1N2 gearbox the smallest i could

i've used this in the wrangler and in the 8c it has a gear ratio 1:1 and another one of your choice

post-29201-13398520462736.jpg

Would you mind posting a picture with one of the black sides off? Otherwise very nice design.

Tim

Would you mind posting a picture with one of the black sides off? Otherwise very nice design.

Tim

there's no need dude! there are no hidden parts except for the parts u need to attach it on a chassis :)

try to build it its really simple :P

By using the 4-wide diff you can actually make a similar gearbox using only two axles (input and output).

It is longer and the diff makes it look kinda dumb but it narrower and symmetrical.

Man, i wish lego would make those dark gray gears in diffrent sizes, would make gearboxes less of an hassle and more realistic too.

By using the 4-wide diff you can actually make a similar gearbox using only two axles (input and output).

It is longer and the diff makes it look kinda dumb but it narrower and symmetrical.

Man, i wish lego would make those dark gray gears in diffrent sizes, would make gearboxes less of an hassle and more realistic too.

do you have any image?

can it also host different gear ratios?

Man, i wish lego would make those dark gray gears in diffrent sizes

i'll second that. more idler gears, and some annular gears would be nice, too.

KEvron

Mmm... I am not sure of your dimensions, but I know I have made a gearbox in a 5X7 by 3 deep. It was a 3-speed linear.

Edited by 88high

do you have any image?

can it also host different gear ratios?

Whipped up this in ldd.

Unfortunately it is limited to these gear ratios :(

14nzm1l.png

cool!

yeah on the one i posted you're not limited on gears ratio..

you have a 1:1 and another one that you can set the way you want :P its good both for "speed" cars and offroad cars

i'll second that. more idler gears, and some annular gears would be nice, too.

KEvron

Yup this is what i've been saying. Idler gears with 24, 22, 20 and 18 teeth to go with the 16t one we already have, as well as spur gears with 10 and 14 teeth to go with the 8, 12 and 20 tooth gears we already have would make a much better gearbox, even better if 2 idlers and 1 driving ring in a line was only 3 studs long instead of 4. This would make the gearbox more compact and allow more intuative placement of the gear change parts (no need for half stud offset).

Yup this is what i've been saying. Idler gears with 24, 22, 20 and 18 teeth to go with the 16t one we already have, as well as spur gears with 10 and 14 teeth to go with the 8, 12 and 20 tooth gears we already have would make a much better gearbox, even better if 2 idlers and 1 driving ring in a line was only 3 studs long instead of 4. This would make the gearbox more compact and allow more intuative placement of the gear change parts (no need for half stud offset).

So, you want to have gears: 8t, 12t, 14t, 16t, 18t, 20t, 22t, 24t, 26t, 28t, 30t, 32t, 34t, 36t, 38t, 40t, 42t, 44t, 46t, 48t, 50t, 52t, 54t, 56t, 58t, 60t ? All clutch.

So, you want to have gears: 8t, 12t, 14t, 16t, 18t, 20t, 22t, 24t, 26t, 28t, 30t, 32t, 34t, 36t, 38t, 40t, 42t, 44t, 46t, 48t, 50t, 52t, 54t, 56t, 58t, 60t ? All clutch.

Nope, just the ones I said. A total of 5 ranging from 16 to 24 teeth, or maybe even a 6th one with 12 or 14 teeth.

If it is size that you like you could use a Lego technic triangle lift-arm on either side,this would make it one stud less.:classic: