LegoSjaak

Trains, Long and Short: Show 'm here!

Hello alias MaxSupercars,

you have not seen all. Look here:

Or here:

these two are the record / world record holders. Currently still. We, my friends and I are working.

Yours sincerely Udo

Dang. I could slap myself in the face.... I was driving from Berlin to Munich via Regensburg that weekend... and didn't stop by at Schierling :facepalm:

Time to dig up this thread again.

Philly Brick Fest 2017. PennLUG train layout.

The train was led by my Norfolk & Western A class and Y6b, articulated steam locomotives double heading. Nate Brill’s awesome Erie Triplexadded a third locomotive as a pusher on the rear of the train. The rest of the train was made up of 23 freight cars and one caboose, later we increased it to 25 cars and 3 caboose, practically emptying our rail yard of all rolling stock. All three locomotives are Power Functions based. My two N&W engines in the lead are running 2 XL motors each with an I.R. receiver and PF rechargeable battery box per each locomotive. Nate’s Triplex on the tail uses 3 L motors and the I.R. receiver and rechargeable battery. There was no other power for the train, just the locomotives. Truthfully the train was a little over powered, just one of the front pair of locomotives could have probably pulled the train without the help of the other two. Coordinating starting of the train proved to be quite a challenge. Each locomotive had to be started simultaneously or the train would pull itself apart, even with using neodymium magnets between the couplers to increase coupler hold. But the challenge was worth it as we watched one of the coolest trains we’ve ever assembled make lap after flawless lap on the PennLUG layout.

Cale

On ‎5‎-‎5‎-‎2017 at 10:04 PM, Cale said:

Time to dig up this thread again.

Philly Brick Fest 2017. PennLUG train layout.

The train was led by my Norfolk & Western A class and Y6b, articulated steam locomotives double heading. Nate Brill’s awesome Erie Triplexadded a third locomotive as a pusher on the rear of the train. The rest of the train was made up of 23 freight cars and one caboose, later we increased it to 25 cars and 3 caboose, practically emptying our rail yard of all rolling stock. All three locomotives are Power Functions based. My two N&W engines in the lead are running 2 XL motors each with an I.R. receiver and PF rechargeable battery box per each locomotive. Nate’s Triplex on the tail uses 3 L motors and the I.R. receiver and rechargeable battery. There was no other power for the train, just the locomotives. Truthfully the train was a little over powered, just one of the front pair of locomotives could have probably pulled the train without the help of the other two. Coordinating starting of the train proved to be quite a challenge. Each locomotive had to be started simultaneously or the train would pull itself apart, even with using neodymium magnets between the couplers to increase coupler hold. But the challenge was worth it as we watched one of the coolest trains we’ve ever assembled make lap after flawless lap on the PennLUG layout.

Cale

Great train...especially in this layout.. beautifull!!!!   It was also fun, to see an old topic of mine being dug up, to update it with another great long train!!!

Bumping this again,

Here's our latest submission, 35.5 Feet (10.8 Meters) long and 60 cars.

I should have filmed with my video car instead of my phone.

Long Trains, here is my example:

I would like to introduce you to my long Train project.

It started around 2010 with my first BrickLink Orders. In 2014 my flat was to small so I had to go outside for testruns. Here one of my first Videos, two Engines and 75 cars, approx. 10,5 Meter.

Some problems, mostly related to power supply, had to be solved:

In 2015 we joined our first exhibition with the first run of a longer version of the Train. At least, we had 205 cars running with 5 Engines (approx. 30m)

At ABSolut Steinchen 2016 Exhibition in St. Augustin, Germany. We improved Track and Powersupply. All cars now have same colour. Final number of cars 230 (approx. 35m in total)

The front of the tables is about 20m (not my own video).

Next goal is 250 cars. There is already some improvement needed, especially on traction and total pulling power.

This Year other things popped up, but maybe I will continue with more cars in 2018.

Hope you enjoy. Regards

BrickMusher

@pirzyk Oh gosh, I remember seeing that train at BW 17. I still can't believe only one engine pulled that whole train, though it was shaking quite a bit! :classic:

@BrickMusher I think we have our winner... not that there's any competition. That, frankly, is insane. The gap between the front and rear of the train is significantly shorter than the train itself in the last video! Very, very impressive. The track doesn't look like LEGO track all the way round in the 3rd video; what did you use for it?

Also, what is that locomotive at 0:46 (and 3:58) in the 3rd video? A modern light-blue version of 7760?

@ColletArrow  Hei, yes, it is a rebuild of famous 7760 in medium blue. It is running on a 9V Motor and is also equipped with lights. Please see my MOCpage for more pictures.

Insane... this is exactly what my girlfriend always said when we went on exhibition :wink: I take it as a compliment.

Track is indeed custom made at some sections. Trains run more silent and even faster. It is made of stainless steel code 250 tracks. The profile is amazing close to the original Lego® track-profile. And I have only to do some minor modifications to 1x2 or 2x2 plates to make them work alltogether with the original stuff. You can easily recognize the difference when you change between the two systems (see at 0:38 and 1:04).

And they can be bend to nearly any radius you need.

Edited by BrickMusher
Reply-Function did not work. Had to learn about how to use it first.

19 hours ago, Legownz said:

@pirzyk Oh gosh, I remember seeing that train at BW 17. I still can't believe only one engine pulled that whole train, though it was shaking quite a bit! :classic:

Thanks!  We were pushing the limits of both the train and the layout.  "Gonna need a bigger layout..."  as it was in 2 corners at the same time.  If I convert (as @legoman666 wants me to) to using ball bearings in my axles, we can greatly increase the length one motor can pull.  As it was it ran for probably an hour before dying.

Not in the PennLug realm yet but was happy to get all 13 of my BMR cars moving at once this morning thanks to an Emerald Night Double header with a Maersk pusher at the end. It measured 19 feet total.

MOV02390

39972198831_a75ae36c84_z.jpg

Not the best pic, but it works well enough. This is my MOW track-layer train, complete with

- 2-6-0+0-6-2 Garratt - type steam locomotive

- weed-killer tanker car

- ballast hopper

- track-laying crane

- RR track on a depressed-center flat car

- workman's tool car

- wide vision / bay window caboose

(This is my longest train built so far)

4 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

39972198831_a75ae36c84_z.jpg

Not the best pic, but it works well enough. This is my MOW track-layer train, complete with

- 2-6-0+0-6-2 Garratt - type steam locomotive

- weed-killer tanker car

- ballast hopper

- track-laying crane

- RR track on a depressed-center flat car

- workman's tool car

- wide vision / bay window caboose

(This is my longest train built so far)

Is there anything you build that I don't want to steal for my own collection?!  :laugh:    This looks great!   I've thought about doing a MOW train, and what car types I might want to have, but you've taken it to the next level!   I'm not sure there was ever a bay window AND cupola on the same caboose, usually they are either-or, but I love it!  It just works...  (No pun intended, since it's a work train...)

Time to join the brigade!!! 

Actually the small 7720 can really pull all the 22 cars - It seems not much but 12v/4,5v wheels are not so efficient. Plus, there are three C batteries in the battery box :laugh:, not bad for the old "box" :laugh:

WP_20180218_19_20_23_Rich

I like these :laugh: can someone make a big loop of track and make a train so long, it touches the other end of it

1 hour ago, 577 said:

I like these :laugh: can someone make a big loop of track and make a train so long, it touches the other end of it

Physics will get in the way and you wind up having a shorter train.  The more curves the train is in at the same time, the harder it is to pull.  Or said another way, it is easier to pull a longer train on a straight than a curve, no matter how wide the curve is.

Edited by pirzyk

4 hours ago, pirzyk said:

Physics will get in the way and you wind up having a shorter train.  The more curves the train is in at the same time, the harder it is to pull.  Or said another way, it is easier to pull a longer train on a straight than a curve, no matter how wide the curve is.

oh, ok