LegoSjaak

Trains, Long and Short: Show 'm here!

On 7/25/2018 at 4:31 PM, Man with a hat said:

Nice!. And great layouts too!

Thank you very much for your feedback. The blue and white diesel train D1 could also be seen as a long train, but, more than four, at most, five motor-cars, these trains in reality do not.

2JKqq.jpg

Diesel_passenger_D1-750.jpg

On 6/21/2017 at 11:41 PM, BrickMusher said:

In 2015 we joined our first exhibition with the first run of a longer version of the Train. At least, we had 205 cars running with 5 Engines (approx. 30m)

BrickMusher

Hi BrickMusher, 

Would you happen to know of there are any photos providing more info on the locs in 0:15 of this vid? Great integration of airplane cabs on these, looks interessting.

@AE bricks

Hi, You can find more pictures of that Loco at my flickr-page.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/156473872@N02/

I had some trouble with my computer, and after that was fixed, with my camera. New camera will arrive next week, so i hopefully will be able to add pics of newer MOC´s with that cockpit-piece within the next week.

So please feel invited to have a second look to my flickr-page in a couple of day´s

So far, I hope you enjoy.

Regards

BrickMusher

22 hours ago, BrickMusher said:

@AE bricks

Hi, You can find more pictures of that Loco at my flickr-page.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/156473872@N02/

This is truly great. So it can be done without cutting the fuselage part right? To bad these are so rare in green, i just checked BL but with S&H its getting far over budget. Wanted to build one like these someday:

6041Kinkempois04021991.jpg

Although it would need dark green rather then green ... 

There were long trains in abundance at Brick World, Chicago. Here is Tony Sava's Texas Eagle.

Here is another train that was made up of various signature LUG/LTC cars.

64433930_2360107230978112_42509469349377

The CinnciLUG layout was nothing but track and trains. Andy and Jeffery ran some huge container trains.

Hello, I'd like to show a short video of a train consisting of one loco and 24 mixed waggons. All cars (80 axles in total) have been customized with ball bearings.

49129153732_eb988d1cc4_b.jpg

In the beginning of the video, the train is pulled by a passenger loco powered by one LEGO train motor. Afterwards, the same train is pulled by a freight train powered by two LEGO train motors. The freight train has no problems pulling all cars, while the passenger train is visibly slowed down but still manages to pull all cars.

Credits go to my daughter for compiling the temporary city layout. :)

On 11/27/2019 at 4:22 PM, Roadmonkeytj said:

@Legopold I noticed your service shed has been modified ... Any photos of your changes?

I made a few pictures and put them into a Flickr album. Enjoy. :)

Not a record by any means, but I was trilled to get this 16 car (counting the dummy A and B  units) train running consistently. The front F-7A and B units both have two powered trucks each. Control was via the old Lego PF system. I ran both engines on the same channel but one was red and the other blue. It was not hard to manipulate both thumb wheels on the controller at the same time to get the train rolling from a cold start. I could have added more cars but we ran out of rare-earth magnets. This train ran for over an hour and was about 22 feet long.

(posting a direct link to the video doesn't seem to be working so click on the photo below to see it on my Flickr album)

49641836841_9be0b0ebcb_k.jpgUntitled by Scott Roys, on Flickr

Edited by ecmo47

1 hour ago, ecmo47 said:

Not a record by any means, but I was trilled to get this 16 car (counting the dummy A and B  units) train running consistently. The front F-7A and B units both have two powered trucks. Control was via the old Lego PF system. I ran both engines on the same channel but one was red and the other blue. It was not hard to manipulate both thumb wheels on the controller at the same time to get the train rolling from a cold start. I could have added more cars but we ran out of rare-earth magnets. This train ran for over an hour and was about 22 feet long.

49641836841_9be0b0ebcb_k.jpgUntitled by Scott Roys, on Flickr

You need some oil on those bearings! Well oiled, that train should run without rare earth magnets.

20 hours ago, supertruper1988 said:

You need some oil on those bearings! Well oiled, that train should run without rare earth magnets.

This is the first time I've heard of having to oil roller bearings. What would you recommend? I've seen posts about what a mess graphite powder is. I would guess that more friction is generated by side-frames that are too close to the wheel sets. I was very happy overall with the operation of all my 8-wide equipment. This is the third show I've had the F-7's at and the first time that they ran very well throughout the event to include a 4-unit lashed-up. BrickWorld Chicago was the first event and while the powered units worked well, the dummies with technic rod axles which created way too much drag. They got converted to roller bearings. Next upgrade may be s-Brick controllers which I have in my two GP-40s but that isn't the perfect solution either. 

I like your train and all three trains that pass by! It's worth a look!

I use compressed graphite on my bearings and switches (turnouts). Also I agree with you about the pressure on the end of the axle, so again I use graphite there also.

That whole layout is impressive!

Edited by sed6
cnat spele

4 hours ago, ecmo47 said:

This is the first time I've heard of having to oil roller bearings. What would you recommend? I've seen posts about what a mess graphite powder is. I would guess that more friction is generated by side-frames that are too close to the wheel sets. I was very happy overall with the operation of all my 8-wide equipment. This is the third show I've had the F-7's at and the first time that they ran very well throughout the event to include a 4-unit lashed-up. BrickWorld Chicago was the first event and while the powered units worked well, the dummies with technic rod axles which created way too much drag. They got converted to roller bearings. Next upgrade may be s-Brick controllers which I have in my two GP-40s but that isn't the perfect solution either. 

@legoman666 Recommends sewing machine oil. I use 3-in-1 oil. I pulled a train about as long as the one you have here on a pair of 9V motors around R40. At home with my R56, if I hit the emergency stop, my train derails due to momentum. 

Dear all,

great thread! Being a new member (not new to the forum though) I was wondering if there's a place to just share layouts and enjoy watching trains.

Since getting back into lego this spring I am quite keen on building layouts when time allows.

Over the weekend I have built another layout :pir-huzzah2:

Alll your MOCs look amazing. However I hope that "regular" sets are still appreciated :-) Clearly not a MOCer myself. Very jealous of all the Santa Fe's and Maersk's though!

(longest possible cargo combination from 4:50 min.)