LegoSjaak

Trains, Long and Short: Show 'm here!

Today i made a setup to run a train of 7.60 meters long. The train ran for about 20 seconds and then pulled the cars off the track... I think i have to add my 2 7939 cargotrains as pushers.......

Here a short HD-YouTubevideo of the test, and the moment the cars got pulled of the track!!

Sadly i didn't work.....will try it again later this week!!

Greetz LegoSjaak

I think your problem is that you have rolling stock in all four corners which is causeing too much resistance. If you're going to continue to run such long trains insrease the straights so you're in no more than 2 corners at any given time.

I think your problem is that you have rolling stock in all four corners which is causeing too much resistance. If you're going to continue to run such long trains insrease the straights so you're in no more than 2 corners at any given time.

Thanks Kyphur, but for a train of almost 8 meters, i would need at least straight sections of 4 meters after each corner.. It would never fit in my 8 square meters layout.. and even for a layout on the floor of a livingroom, it is an impressive track..

I see what you mean.....think i wil try it first with extra pushing locomotives.. but then i should be aware that the pushers should not push too much..else the cars would be pushed off the track...haha..

Ah well..it is just for fun to run such a long train.. i would never do that in my layout.. the longest one would be the Maersk train...

Greetz, LegoSjaak

I can't post a link yet since I am new, but search Brickshelf for "dukeybootie" to some more pics of my layout and the PF modifications to the Metroliner and the Super Chief.

Pretty much everything is stock Lego (or lightly modified) except the switching station, the instructions for which I purchased on eBay. After a lot of thought and track rearrangement, I decided on a layout that could run three trains simultaneously and ended up with what you see there. Still deciding what to do with the farm/windmill area, which is quite unfinished. Adding a Cafe Corner is also on the list once I save up enough cash. Those things are pricey!

Much thanks to those here whose pics and posts helped me immensely with my PF train mods! What a great site (and thread)!

Very nice, the long trains look the business on that layout

This is what we did today (after completing the longest LEGO train track at 1.500,64 meters)

It has 2 locomotives and 117 wagons. I don't know how long it was in meters.

Regards

Henrik

Edited by Henrik Ludvigsen

This is what we did today (after completing the longest LEGO train track at 1.500,64 meters)

It has 2 locomotives and 117 wagons. I don't know how long it was in meters.

Regards

Henrik

That is a lot, 117 wagons..although... it will look better if those wagons are loaded with something... haha.. I'm very curious to the layout you planned to build... would be a nice record... !!! You should do the record attempt when it is hot weather... the track wil expand when it is warm in the room...;-)

I wish you guys a lot of succes and i hope you will set a record!!!

Greetz from Holland, LegoSjaak

Presentation of my Thalys :

It is certainly not the longest train because it is only 3,40 meters long and consists in 10 vehicles (2 locos and 8 cars).

However, all 13 boggies are 9V motors which makes it certainly one of the most powerful lego train ever build.

Of course, for running, it requires a special power supply and also a special train track : this is the LGV (Ligne Grande Vitesse = High Speed Line) build by the french BàB team.

Some videos of this Thalys on the LGV :

: on the train; listen the 13 motors.

During these runs at 30 V, it has reached a real speed around 20 km/h.

During another exhibition (Festibriques 2011 bis), I replaced the 9 inner motors by passive boggies in order to make it running on a line made only with straight lego tracks sectionned into 9 parts (each of 2,7 meters long); each part having its own lego power supply so that only two motors were powered on each part. On this track, the Thalys runs simultaneously with a long Maersk train.

(have a look around 1:30) Edited by DanSto

During the Festibriques 2011 exhibition, the world record of the longest monster train was set by the Festibriques/Fanabriques LUGs cooperation.

The track was 60 meters longs and only made of straight 9V lego tracks (the curves had a radius of 2 meters).

This track was partitionned into 20 sectors; each sector having its own power supply

pupitre.JPG

and something like 70 lego 3 meters long wires were used for the electrical connection.

The starting Monster train consisted in 7 various locos and 150 wagons (the octan wagons from set 7939) : the locos were dispatched along the train every 25 wagons.

The train has been started slowly and the speed has been progressively increased up to the maximum voltage on the 20 power supplies has been reached. At maximum speed, the train made the 60 meters long loop in 80 seconds.

This train made 15 loops without braking (only magnets are used for connecting the vehicles) and several other wagons have been added at each loop reaching a final length of 172 vehicles.

A few videos of this incredible show :

: the train brakes at the end of the video

: the good one and then we increased the power progressively

(allows to count the number of vehicles)

Dansto, nice stuff.. would be cool to join a LUG to do the same.. do not know if there are any LUG's in the eastern part of Holland... ;-)

Hope to see more in the future!!!

Greetz, LegoSjaak

A Video of a pair of longish trains (well, one's much longer than the other...)

26 car container train, and 7 cars of Metroliner goodness.

Goods & Metroliner

James

Edited by JamesP

Train Video

I know it's been done and seen before but this is my LEGO Santa Fe El Capitan. It's based off the Summer 1956-1958 consist and uses four 9V train motors and two 9V speed regulators. Thank you.

Cheers from Claremore, Oklahoma USA!

Dave

Presentation of my Thalys...

Impressive and very adequate choice of train model.

I was expecting a lift off!

Train Video

I know it's been done and seen before but this is my LEGO Santa Fe El Capitan. It's based off the Summer 19956-1958 consist and uses four 9V train motors and two 9V speed regulators. Thank you.

Cheers from Claremore, Oklahoma USA!

Dave

NICE Dave.. that is definitely a train in the category 'Long Trains' !!

Greetz, LegoSjaak

Ah, the nostalgia this thread brings back. I think my fascination with long trains started in 2006 with this 18 car train. I don't recall if any of it was mine, but it was neat to see such a long train. Early the following year, I had a 37 car train and one of my favorites, the 33 car infinite train (much harder to fit the last car on the track than you would think it should be). I pushed it to 51 cars at NMRA that year (as well as several 40+ car trains elsewhere in the same folder). A few years later I had a 38 car steam double header and a 28 car steam triple header using heavier cars. I will still occasionally assemble a good long train at a show, but with the introduction of the XL motors it has taken a lot of the challenge out of it and with the high cost of 9v motors, I'm not sure I will be pushing the track powered envelope again. I have a few more long trains that I haven't had a chance to post yet.

The Horizon Express is growing in length, now 6 passengercarriages...... tomorrow also my Emerald Night will grow with another passenger carriage from 4 to 5...!!...10316618433_b783e81973_b.jpg

Greetz! LegoSjaak

Edited by LegoSjaak

Well it might not be very long by the standards on this thread, but at six cars its pretty long for a 7725:IMG_6463.jpg

Some really nice trains here. I wonder how many motors some of them have? I have trouble getting a single PF motor train to pull more than six or so freight wagons without major wheel slippage on standard LEGO curves.

Some really nice trains here. I wonder how many motors some of them have? I have trouble getting a single PF motor train to pull more than six or so freight wagons without major wheel slippage on standard LEGO curves.

My Maersk train with 3 loco's and 10 double containerscars has 3 x 2 PF motors in it.. pulls it easily...

7159775605_f99801016d_b.jpg

7549627604_d4439566f4_b.jpg

Greetz, LegoSjaak

Finally my Horizon Express is ready with a total of 2 loco's and 6 passengercars. I added Jacobsbogeys to all carriages except for the connection with the loco.10480332806_6941e68370_b.jpg Greetz, LegoSjaak

img_2956_sm.jpg

1.6 metres long, but only one unit. :)

Great train, looks so realistic!!!! 1.6 meters is still not short for a Lego train!!

And when I finished the new version of it (Hungary ordered Stadler FLIRTs again, but they will get blue coloring), the coupled FLIRTs will be 3.2 metres long. :D