Sign in to follow this  
darkboy101089

making the LPEpower v8 from their video.

I'm trying to make the LPEpower V8 through the video from their website.

Here is the video I'm using: http://www.lpepower.com/content/making-lpepower-v8

Here is what I got so far:

The frame

post-29208-13397827088838.jpg

need a few more of this this to assemble the engine

7375370348_0f0fb55736_z.jpg

The pistons

7375370274_5d6abaf49b_z.jpg

The crankshaft and the hoses

7375370206_5995b91263_z.jpg

The pneumatic switches

7190126789_50a596bc3a_z.jpg

I'm just waiting on some more parts coming and I will start assembling it.

This is my first time sharing information, if this is illegal to share, notify me and I will stop posting and delete this post.

Edited by darkboy101089

I dont get it. What does the copyright cover, and why is it wrong for somebody to copy the design? I dont see darkboy doing it for profit ?

I'm just doing this to learn about how a engine works. If I were to buy one of these I wouldnt have learned anything. I think the point of playing with lego technics is learn how the mechanisms work.

I would've save much more money and time to buy the complete set from them, but I think the whole point of all this is to learn from what we build.

They can copyright all they want (but they might want to clear it with TLG first :hmpf_bad: ) and he can build all that he wants as long as he doesn't copyright or sell it as an original creation

Which means; don't worry

No offence, but I think builders wanting $ for their creations instructions are a bit cocky.

No offence, but I think builders wanting $ for their creations instructions are a bit cocky.

Cocky? Did you really say that..? How exactly did you come to this conclusion..?

I sell instructions and I go out of my way to help promote other people's work... Want an example..? Check my Friend's wall... How many other builders use their own website promoting other people's work through picture links..? Or ask around and see how many people that I have supplied to and shipped parts for completely free... I also have a website that needs funded and a webmaster that needs compensated so that I can share all of my work with the rest of the world for FREE... You see any ads on my website..?

So do you think that we should all spend multiple hours doing this for nothing...? And what are you giving back in return besides complaining...?

You ever create any threads on Eurobricks for anyone else's work other than your own...?

Cocky he says...

Cocky? Did you really say that..? How exactly did you come to this conclusion..?

I sell instructions and I go out of my way to help promote other people's work... Want an example..? Check my Friend's wall... How many other builders use their own website promoting other people's work through picture links..? Or ask around and see how many people that I have supplied to and shipped parts for completely free... I also have a website that needs funded and a webmaster that needs compensated so that I can share all of my work with the rest of the world for FREE... You see any ads on my website..?

So do you think that we should all spend multiple hours doing this for nothing...? And what are you giving back in return besides complaining...?

You ever create any threads on Eurobricks for anyone else's work other than your own...?

Cocky he says...

Well i do have some exceptions including you...

Your Creations are simply stunning. I guess I WOULD pay for YOUR instructions...

But really, money-instructions for a small & simple V8 LPE? Is that really that hard?

And a matter of fact yes... I have indeed posted about others creations or ideas.

(see my thread about MBMC's 4X3 T-piece!)

Oh, and you give parts out for free... sweet! But i dont have enough to do that!

I would advise we stop argueing before a moderator jumps in...

Going back to the original topic:

I wrote an e-mail to the webmaster of LPEpower, to ask him whether it was OK for darkboy101089 to make a replica of his copyrighted work. I got this reply:

"Sure. His engine will never work as good as mine anyway. But if he is able to make it through the video, he can have it, as long a she doesn't claim its his design.

--

Alex

LPEpower

www.LPEpower.com

info@lpepower.com"

lol i didnt think there was so much "competition" in playing with legos...

to me it's just a way to pass the time

anyway selling instructions to me make sense...mainly because it requires some time to build the model on the pc...

but claiming "hey that's my model i built it first bla bla bla" is just stupid for some reason:

- if u share something on the net you're SHARING

- usually, you're assembling with legos engineering inventions :D so someone else really invented it first

- if you are an "inventor" you should be happy of getting other people life easier with your inventions and not be jealous :P

i use to share on my blog things coz im happy to help out someone else having a good time playing with legos

thats all :D

Going back to the original topic:

I wrote an e-mail to the webmaster of LPEpower, to ask him whether it was OK for darkboy101089 to make a replica of his copyrighted work. I got this reply:

"Sure. His engine will never work as good as mine anyway. But if he is able to make it through the video, he can have it, as long a she doesn't claim its his design.

--

Alex

LPEpower

www.LPEpower.com

info@lpepower.com"

Thanks DLuders

Im sure that mine wont run up to 100%, but i did modified the pneumatic switches and the pneumatic cyclinders. I think it will run pretty good compared to LPEpower's.

Also im sharing this information is because when i first started to search for informations about the pneumatic engine, there werent really any good ones. Therefore I want to make life easier for the people like me.

Thanks DLuders

Im sure that mine wont run up to 100%, but i did modified the pneumatic switches and the pneumatic cyclinders. I think it will run pretty good compared to LPEpower's.

Also im sharing this information is because when i first started to search for informations about the pneumatic engine, there werent really any good ones. Therefore I want to make life easier for the people like me.

According to that video, Alex/nicjasno/LPEPower uses some custom PVC piping that is heat-treated into specific shapes. Your use of Lego tubing will not make it run as well, as the tubes will pop off at low pressure. I believe he also modifies the pneumatic T-pieces as well.

I've been trying to reverse-engineer the LPE engine too, it's going to be a fun experiment. I do wonder about the playability, because you need to have a air compressor close by if you want RC-like operation.

Yeah, i drill all inlets to 1.8mm, modify cylinders and switches, i glue part of the crank and i use the plastic tubing.

There's 2 types of plastic tubing. Polyethilene and Polyamide. One is a bit softer and other is very hard. The softer one is used in tighter places where a bit flexibility of the tubing itself is required. I also drill the holes the tubings go through to 5.2mm instead of the 4.8mm that the pinholes usually have, to be able to pass the tubings through.

And as was said before. The plastic tubing is there to allow high rpms by not popping out and it also allows the engine to actually deliver any sort of performance. With the lego silicone tubings, those just popped out when you wanted power.

Edited by nicjasno

Yeah, i drill all inlets to 1.8mm, modify cylinders and switches, i glue part of the crank and i use the plastic tubing.

There's 2 types of plastic tubing. Polyethilene and Polyamide. One is a bit softer and other is very hard. The softer one is used in tighter places where a bit flexibility of the tubing itself is required. I also drill the holes the tubings go through to 5.2mm instead of the 4.8mm that the pinholes usually have, to be able to pass the tubings through.

And as was said before. The plastic tubing is there to allow high rpms by not popping out and it also allows the engine to actually deliver any sort of performance. With the lego silicone tubings, those just popped out when you wanted power.

Wow, thanks nicjasno.

Cocky he says...

Paul, you don't know me, but I have heard and read about you, and with all due respect I think you're overreacting. I've worked with Nathanael a long time ago at the first few Lego World expositions in Zwolle (NL), so I know a bit about the time and dedication it takes to create models like you do. But if you inspire others with great creations, people will mimic them, and there's nothing you can do about that. If they are willing to pay a few bucks to acquire the instructions to re-create your creations to the stud, more power to them. But charging for moc instructions should not be a given, and putting copyright next to a moc is cute, but ultimately futile.

- Sok.

Edited by Sokratesz

In my case people pay for my work and craftsmanship and of course for the parts. You buy an engine from me, because you want it to be perfect. In other cases, you build it yourself.

If you want something to run as perfect as nicjasno's, the only way is to buy his. And to be honest, it cost me more to build this than to buy a complete one. But I like the process of learning while building it.

Paul, you don't know me, but I have heard and read about you, and with all due respect I think you're overreacting. I've worked with Nathanael a long time ago at the first few Lego World expositions in Zwolle (NL), so I know a bit about the time and dedication it takes to create models like you do. But if you inspire others with great creations, people will mimic them, and there's nothing you can do about that. If they are willing to pay a few bucks to acquire the instructions to re-create your creations to the stud, more power to them. But charging for moc instructions should not be a given, and putting copyright next to a moc is cute, but ultimately futile.

- Sok.

I was merely rebutting the claim that people who ask for money for their instructions are being cocky and wanted to know where exactly the cockiness was being derived from since I am in fact one of those guys that sells multiple types of instructions... I also didn't mean that everyone should charge money for their instructions, but you can't expect everyone to put in the time making them and then give them away for free... If people want to spend weeks making instructions and give them out for free, then more power to them... And I have never put a cute copyright next to anything that I have ever done, so I don't know where you are coming from with that... I usually put my website name on the first picture that comes up at brickshlef, but that is all...

Edited by Paul Boratko

I also don't care if people mimic or rebuild anything that I have done... I don't spend all of that time taking pictures of a model's build process and hours cropping and editing them for nothing... :wink:

And I have never put a cute copyright next to anything that I have ever done, so I don't know where you are coming from with that...

There have been ebay auctions of models 'copyrighted' by their owners and there was some hint towards that about the engines in question.

But lets keep it at that. No hate :)

There have been ebay auctions of models 'copyrighted' by their owners and there was some hint towards that about the engines in question.

But lets keep it at that. No hate :)

I was just reviewing Paul's recent auction that he did for charity and the only copyright mark that I see is for the Make A Wish Logo. I also don't see any on the instructions that he is currently selling there. :sceptic:

I can only assume that you are referring to someone else?

I was just reviewing Paul's recent auction that he did for charity and the only copyright mark that I see is for the Make A Wish Logo. I also don't see any on the instructions that he is currently selling there. :sceptic:

I can only assume that you are referring to someone else?

That's what I was trying to say in the message you quoted, I wasn't referring to anything Paul did specifically, but others have done it. Not long ago someone tried to sell Pauls design as his own and he had all sorts of mumbo jumbo on the auction page.

7438668928_f2077cbcff_b.jpg

This is what i have so far, I need to get an air compressor and test it out and then I will assemble the remaining parts.

You can see if it runs with just 1 large lego pneumatic pump. It should turn about 1/4 revolution with each pump stroke.

Edited by nicjasno