88high

Occupation thread

I am a mechanical engineering undergraduate in 4th year. I recently got a job in RnD in Maruti Suzuki India Limited, an automobile firm, where i would be in Suspension and Steering Design department most probably :grin:

Edited by Ashirmittal

Interesting to see what everyone is doing for a living - seems to be quite a diverse community. Well and here I am, another engineer. Software engineering to be more specific. I love the similarities in programming and building Lego. In both cases you a creating something completely new out of existing parts :)

I'm in school right now. This is my last year of undergraduate. I'm hoping to get a PhD in math and become a professor. I tutor math students and do research in theoretical astrophysics.

What university? I received my undergraduate in math from northern Kentucky and I'm returning for my masters at the university of Cincinnati. I've turned it into a career as a high school math teacher, currently in my second year. Gotta say I love it, I even have a fellow AFOL 3 doors down!

Also, I'm a part time musician who actually gets paid for it sometimes (gasp!)! My brothers and I travel summers in a band and do weekends the rest of the year. I pick up a pretty good supplemental income on a good week.

Edited by jluck

I just separated from the Air Force after 12 years of active duty. Now I'm a life safety inspector. What is that you ask? I inspect fire extinguisher, fire suppression systems, fire sprinkler systems, and anything else to do with fire prevention. We inspect anything from the ghetto apartments, to massive power plants.

Things changed quite a bit since my last post here a month or so ago. A few days after completing truck driving school, I got hired on as a CAD/GIS Technician for a power company here in Washington State. Nothing to do with driving trucks, but the job uses the skills I gained in college, so I'm thrilled. I've been working here for the past 2 weeks and it seems to be a great place to work. Great people, great pay, amazing benefits (starting with over 3 weeks vacation), and a beautiful area to live. I may still end up with a side gig driving trucks too...

I made the 3000 mile move out here 3 weeks ago and pulled a trailer behind my Toyota. Fun times.

Congratulations, Daniel! I think I'd like living in Washington (the state).

Congratulations, Daniel! I think I'd like living in Washington (the state).

Thanks! I like Washington State, for the most part. The area I live is fairly remote, and I have to take a ferry for any kind of fast food or major shopping (electronics, furniture, etc). There are no stoplights in my county, and crime is low here.

I came from North Carolina, which has its nice areas. The town I left is pretty ghetto, but I wouldn't mind settling down in the Raleigh area someday. Washington is my home for now though. :classic:

Edited by dhc6twinotter

Librarian at a large public library but I've been behind the scenes and not doing public service for a few years now. About 2 weeks ago I was discussing the Lego Neighborhood book with a coworker - she said she'd buy some copies but passed on the steampunk Lego book. Now that I think of it, I have no idea what they did with the minifigures in some of the books we've bought.

Interesting to see what everyone is doing for a living - seems to be quite a diverse community. Well and here I am, another engineer. Software engineering to be more specific. I love the similarities in programming and building Lego. In both cases you a creating something completely new out of existing parts :)

And yet... I still get to create my own modules, whenever I can't find ready-made exactly what I need. I prefer that, than reusing old code.

I'm a software engineer myself. More of a systems engineer for the last 20 years, since I turned into windows server administration and solutions designer.

I also teach computer courses to colleges.

Edited by spirogero

HOLY THREAD REVIVAL BATMAN!

Sorry to add to the stereotype but I'm another engineer! I was a software engineer in my younger days but now I focus on user interface design, ergonomics, web accessibility, user research etc etc... 

I have at various stages in my life also worked in a deli, delivered mail and moved furniture!