Capn Frank

Phred's Frigate the Dame du Loup

thank you Phred, and I love custom crew minifigs!

What has that got to do with this thread?! :-/

This might explain!

And me! I'm also from minnesota! also, i think Imperial Scouts is from california if i'm not mistaken.

This might explain!

Ah, now I understand, but I suggest you to post a quote before you say something about it. Unless it was the last post before your post, but it wasn't. If you don't post a quote before, people might not know where you're talking about ;-) .

Ah, now I understand, but I suggest you to post a quote before you say something about it. Unless it was the last post before your post, but it wasn't. If you don't post a quote before, people might not know where you're talking about ;-) .
It's historically accurate and it just looks very good. One of the my favorites color schemes!

just a little confusing! :-D

Secondly, to all my American homies...

This is where the American homies part came from... turns out most of us are midwesterners!

Eurobricks Pirate Midwest Connections:

Phred and Duke, WI (Wisconsin)

Capn Kirk 911, MN (Minnesota)-IN (Indiana)

Norrington, MN

ZCerberus, MN

Anyhow,

Phred, do you have a target completion date? Or is it just 'when it's done'

This is where the American homies part came from... turns out most of us are midwesterners!

Eurobricks Pirate Midwest Connections:

Phred and Duke, WI (Wisconsin)

Capn Kirk 911, MN (Minnesota)-IN (Indiana)

Norrington, MN

ZCerberus, MN

Anyhow,

you can't forget Suvie D, he's from Duluth, MN.

Oh yeah, ay. Der ain't much ta do here but collect lego. Wouldn't yous guys agree. :)

LOL! :-D

No there is no sceduled time or anything.

I've got 17 credits of school this semester.

helping with our churches youth group.

running and making the church's power points each sunday.

tutoring Calc II.

I'm booked!

but i do plan on completing it (someday). :skel1:

Phred

Oh yeah, ay. Der ain't much ta do here but collect lego. Wouldn't yous guys agree. :)

LOL! :-D

No there is no sceduled time or anything.

I've got 17 credits of school this semester.

helping with our churches youth group.

running and making the church's power points each sunday.

tutoring Calc II.

I'm booked!

but i do plan on completing it (someday). :skel1:

Phred

doesn't seem at all like you have anything to do! :-D I think you need some more!

I'm pretty much finished with the bow now.

just have to add support rigging for the bowsprit.

bowstarboardbow.jpg

bowandcenter.jpg

I've decided to have only one capstan on the frigate. My PaB order should in in soon to get rid of most of the gray on the capstan. This one capstan raises and lowers both anchors indivually. and the the gears that wind up the anchors slide back and forth shown below (sorta).

bow.jpg

I've made a captain too that i think won't change any more. I'm very happy with the way he looks.

He's behind the female ninja.

captain_and_his_girl.jpg

God bless,

Phred

Your ship is looking better and better...

Seems like it will have a great deal of details and thats what I like most.

You are right not to put a deadline for completion. Deadlines are something of the real world ;-)

I've decided to have only one capstan on the frigate. My PaB order should in in soon to get rid of most of the gray on the capstan. This one capstan raises and lowers both anchors indivually. and the the gears that wind up the anchors slide back and forth shown below (sorta).

And you only have one capstan? How did you do that?

I believe I read the ship is going to have 52 guns...

I can hardly believe that! A big ship like this should have a lot more guns! Is it true?

The capstan is the thing that was used to lift the anchor?

Was it custom to have more than 1 of these on the average ship?

Or did most sailing ships have 2 anchors and they both needed a capstan?

I've made a captain too that i think won't change any more. I'm very happy with the way he looks.

He's behind the female ninja.

captain_and_his_girl.jpg

broadside-240.jpg

I think evryone here would perfer it if this Man was Captain of your vessel.

heros-512.jpg

broadside-240.jpg

I think evryone here would perfer it if this Man was Captain of your vessel.

Hmm. I kind of remember him. I think held him prisoner for ransom or something...

...I think i remember him now. Doesn't he have a black pipe?

frigatebowwithcaptain.jpg

Also with the above image, is sort of a close up of the the gears that wind up the two anchors. The plate they're mounted on slides back and forth and can be move with the dark gray technic piece with a white light saber blade.

For each gear, when they're not in use, has a small axel placed so the it stops the unused gear from spinning.

frigatecapstan.jpg

This is a close up of the gear wheel that moves by the capstan above, which connects to the one of the two sliding gear wheels shown previously.

I believe I've never seen that torso before... From which set is it?

That torso comes with Jabba's sail Barge. The coloring on it is very unique and kewl. X-D

I believe I read the ship is going to have 52 guns...

I can hardly believe that! A big ship like this should have a lot more guns! Is it true?

That's not including the 16 carronades that are on order from PaB. Also the front portion of he ship has the gun-ports 5 studs apart for the bigger cannons. The rest of the gun ports are 4 studs apart, so that also limited the amount of cannons on the gun deck. I'd be able to fit 70 cannons on there easily, but i've also got a shortage of cannons and bricks for MOC cannons. X-D

The capstan is the thing that was used to lift the anchor?

Was it custom to have more than 1 of these on the average ship?

Or did most sailing ships have 2 anchors and they both needed a capstan?

Thanx for the compliment bonaparte :) .

On pictures i've generally seen on ships, there is only one capstan on smaller ships (i.e. frigates). There's one picture where a ship of the line has only one capstan, and in the description of the ship, it mentions that the capstan was used for heavy lifting, and weighing anchors. So i guessed that there is probably a gear system for each anchor and the crane with one capstan. The way this ship is built, I couldn't add in the gearing for the crane.

Edit:

Some updated deeplinks of the stern.

stern starboard port 1 starboard port 2

Hmm. I kind of remember him. I think held him prisoner for ransom or something...

...I think i remember him now. Doesn't he have a black pipe?

frigatebowwithcaptain.jpg

Wrong! Look at the plume, it's just a lesser captain! He has A yellow plume, and He dosn't smoke. After all, he allready knows the dangers of smoking :-P !We shall launch a rescure mission immediatly!

Also I see an Optical illusion. If you tilt the picture to the left, you see the Imperials are holding pistols and firing, while the pirates have spikes in their heads...

Mr Phred, what's the current state of the ship? (finished, almost finished, far from done)

Mr Tiber

Well the center portion is pretty much done and the stern has been getting a huge facelift to look more like a 18th century ship rather than a 16th or early 17th centry ship.

The center portion just needs the "crane apparatus" for getting the row boats on and off the ship then i'll post pics.

hpim1186.jpg

hpim1188.jpg

Here it is as of yesterday.

The brown logs are going, just haven't got that far yet. And the port holes on the bottom deck still need to be covered.

Judging from these pictures, this will be an impressive ship.

How long have you been working on it already?

Judging from these pictures, this will be an impressive ship.

How long have you been working on it already?

Thanx B,

Since sept '06

But i'm also a full-time student, so that always takes presidence in my time.

Edit:

Got the captain's cabin done. There was a meeting held there right away with a Spanish and an English officer while some other captain fell asleep in there.

hpim1202.jpg

The lamp on the bottom left is what supports that whole corner. Definitely not realistic for the lamp to be like that, but it works in lego X-D (same goes for the lamp that's barely visible on the bottom right)

hpim1212.jpg

The axels on the top left and right are for support only (they'll get fixed down soon and covered up) for where the steering goes from horizontal axels to vertical.

P

Zcerberus, Evil Willy and Mr Tiber in one cabin! heheheh.

The cabin is looking great, especcialy the inside, but I really think this ship is too big to be frigate. How much guns has it again?

Mr Tiber

That is us! We have been spotted... and aboard a pirate vessel? maybe we are trying to give letters of marque to Phred so he may attack the other side (Spanish, British, whatever) with impunity!!

I like the table in there as well, but I have a feeling we are being set up for a Greedo/Han Solo match up...

Yeah i supposes the similarities are striking :-P

The cabin is looking great, especcialy the inside, but I really think this ship is too big to be frigate. How much guns has it again?

Mr Tiber

According to wiki-pedia, a 4th rate ship has 50-60 long guns (not including carronades) and a 5th rate ship has 32-44 long guns (dunno about 45-49 guns :S ). This frigate is slightly larger than the HMS Surprise for a mini-fig scaled ship. I'm considering it a french 44 originally even though it's a little small for that.

The USS Constitiution, a 44 gun frigate and what the archeron is based off of, would have to be 8 studs wider and 20 studs longer than this ship to have the proper scale, but oh well :) .

When the pirates took it over, they decided to add some more long guns and carronades.

The gun deck can hold 38 cannon. Total, while the pirates have it, there's going to be 70 cannon total; 16 carrondades, 34 non-moc cannons, and 20 moc cannons.

P

Edit:

I like the table in there as well, but I have a feeling we are being set up for a Greedo/Han Solo match up...

LOL :-D

How's the frigate going Phred?

I haven't read the thread, Pred, I just wanted to play with Ffffff sounds and rhyming with your name. I better read up on thing after I have 40 or 50 winks.

How's the frigate going Phred?

I haven't read the thread, Pred, I just wanted to play with Ffffff sounds and rhyming with you rname. I better read up on thing after I have 40 or 50 winks.

Well here's how far it is right now:

hpim1213.jpg

Still have some gaps to fill in in the stern and finish the railing too.

Here's a pic of the old stern, i thnk it's a pretty good improvement.

newsternfrigate.jpg_thumb.jpg

P