Sign in to follow this  
aescarion

Astromech Workplace Contest - The 93rd Floor

Hello everyone. These are some preliminary photographs of my entry for the Astromech Workplace contest. It is inspired by the scene in RotJ where Jabba uses R2-D2 to serve drinks on his barge. Such a humiliating fate is, sadly, all too common among the nightspots of the Imperial capital, Coruscant, as is the case for poor RU-18 in this diorama. When off-duty, he at least has the music droid M0-J0 to hang out with.

The hotshot mercenary Brock Laserchin is trying his moves on a fine lady. Unfortunately he's trying to chat up Scapula Thorne, an bounty hunter as beautiful as she is deadly, and she doesn't look too impressed with Brock's game so far. With M0-J0 on stage is the vocalist Blorgulon Splaaarg, much to the consternation of the barman Murke. There's nothing intoxicating on the menu for Imperial Pilot Chad Chadnerson, who is trying to wake up with some strong coffee ready for his evening shift.

Through the panoramic windows is a view of Coruscant's skyline. On viewscreens behind the bar are an advertisment for booze, an admonishment not to drink and fly (reading 'Fly Drunk, Fly Dead), and the ever-present Imperial propaganda (which reads simply 'OBEY').

7373707162_4a519bc299.jpg

7373707084_5d428cf2f7.jpg

7188473769_8f9b006401.jpg

7373706914_36f5fb74a1.jpg

Aside from the Imperial Pilot and his astromech from the V-Wing I am in the unusual position for an AFoL of not having any Star Wars minifigs. Until that is put right two aliens from Alien Conquest and a couple of collectable figs are standing in, along with a brick-built guitar-playing droid. The three screens behind the bar are made with tiles and custom decals.

The pictures are rather poor so I'm hoping to take some better ones with some more angles before the contest deadline, along with any tweaks to the MOC that might occur to me. I think this was a cool idea for a contest and I appreciated the way it made me focus on an idea and finish it.

I hope you enjoyed your trip to the 93rd Floor Bar,

Aescarion.

Wow :wub: This is just so win! It really looks like one of the bars for Coruscant's elite, and is really inverse to the dirty cantinas of Mos Eisley :laugh: Good luck in the contest! :thumbup:

This is really well done. I wish you would have been able/might still be able to make it bigger. I think this MOC on a 32x32x16 scale could win. :thumbup: