Xand0r

Galaxy Patrol Minifig - Possible MOCfodder Kits

So I managed to snag myself 5 Galaxy Patrol minifigs yesterday at Toys R Us. As most of you will know, the Galaxy Patrol minifig (as seen in my avatar) is mostly dark blue, with some dark bluish grey.

Since I've only recently become re-obsessed with LEGO (care of the Mobile Frame Zero kickstarter -- I suppose my dark ages lasted about 18 years or so), I don't know a lot about the new sets or parts. I've been checking out a lot of the mecha building trends, so I am aware of some of the newer pieces. However, I don't know what kits would contain a lot of dark blue and dark grey.

I've done a bit of research and this kit seems to be a good source of Dark Bluish Grey:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=7572-1

This mock contains a lot of great parts for this colour scheme:

BAT-Rotor

Anyone know where he was likely to get the pieces?

So yeah, I've looked around, but I haven't really seen many MOCs in this scheme, I'd love any and all reference material you might have encountered that would be good for Galaxy Patrol themed MOCs!

Cheers!

(For reference and discussion)

http://minifigures.lego.com/en-us/Bios/Galaxy%20Patrol.aspx

pic6F4D46A5CA118AD46DE74AC8F8AD9F06.jpg

“Galaxy Patrol

No outer-space menace escapes the Galaxy Patrol!”

The members of the Galaxy Patrol are an elite squadron of deep-space heroes who are dispatched to the most remote and dangerous sectors of the galaxy to fight cosmic evil wherever it appears. With their heavy-duty space armor and helmet-mounted tactical computers, they’ve got the gear, the training and the attitude to always get the mission done.

To join the Galaxy Patrol, you’ve got to be as tough as space-nails, able to resist the mind-control powers of a Pluuvian Brain-Beast, and capable of holding your breath in vacuum for at least 42 quarkoids. Most recruits wash out, but the ones that are left are the best of the best, ready to defend the universe from interstellar threats of any and every kind – no matter how many eyes, claws and tentacles they may have!

Some of the Star Wars sets have had a lot of dark blue (though Im not sure if they are still out, I dont pay a lot of attention to sets these days), and would also have plenty dark grey. The new Lokis Cosmic Cube Escape set from Avengers has a lot of dark blue. The pharoahs quest sets from last year had some, but not a whole lot. And the Agents theme from a few years ago had a lot of it. Dark grey can be found in a lot of sets, particularly Star Wars (though light grey is more common). Of course, since most of the sets with a lot of dark blue seem to be out of production, and would have to be bought used anyway, it would probably be easier to just buy the parts on bricklink.com

I may go the Bricklink route, whether I get used sets or parts, I dunno. It's nice to be able to get a variety of pieces in one place. I don't really want to pick bricks out, one at a time, if I can help it.

Thanks for the help, brickmack. BTW, love your WIP SHIP.

If you can, always go via bricklink. You can get exclusive or currently unavailable parts there, or otherwise, be sure to order some parts via customisers. Imagine a Galaxy Patrol squad armed with cobalt Brickarms :drool:.

The main color themes for at least the "hero" side of the AGENTS theme is Dark Blue, Grey, Metalic Silver and a little yellow. Unfortunately they can be a bit expensive.

The blue Ninjago fighter is mainly medium blue, but it has a good amount of Dark Blue and works well with both Alien Conquest and the Galaxy Patrol, provided you strip off all of the gold Ninja junk.

The Avengers Quinjet is a great color match for the Galaxy Patrol. It is a darker grey with Dark Blue.

cool

Please refrain from one word posts that don't add to the conversation.

Thank You.

The LOTR Mines of Moria set is a good source of dark bley (and if you dont like the figs you can always sell them off to someone and get back part of the cost of the set)

I bought that set for exactly that reason (the dark bley)

I think the best sets would be the Star Wars 8086 Droid Tri-Fighter - which was recently on sale though a bit harder to find lately since it's a 2010 set - and the 8018 Armored Assault Tank - this one's from 2009 but can be bouht on bricklink. Both have some cool parts in dark blue and light bley, especially for the marines theme since they are space themed with wings / guns etc. The AAT set is also a very good example how cool a dark + ligh blue scheme can look!

A lot of the Avengers sets have a lot of both colors, particularly the Quinjet and the Hulk set. And then there's the Malevolence, a Star Wars ship coming out later this summer that has tons useful pieces.

Like others, I'd recommend Avengers sets. Since the minifigures from that line are highly valued, you can get the vehicles sans figs quite cheaply on Bricklink - the Quinjet is going for less than half its retail price if you get it without the figs, and the jet and base from Hulk's Helicarrier Breakout can be had for $18. And if you can wait until later this fall, the Master Builder Academy Level 4 sets look to be a good source of useful dark blue parts as well.

Soem excellent tips here! Thanks guys!

Buying Avengers kits without the minifigs is a particularly great idea, thanks TB!

*browses bricklink*

EDIT:

Ooh, Lokis Cosmic Cube Escape without minifigs is very well priced, and not a bad little vehicle to boot! *keeps looking*

Edited by Xand0r

I used dark blue in a moc of mine; got seperate parts off bricklink.

I used dark blue in a moc of mine; got seperate parts off bricklink.

Got a link to your build?

(BTW, sweet neo-blacktron mocs!)

6166883234_619239ff6c.jpg5110396724_795bf067d5.jpg

Edited by Xand0r

Like said before, many Star Wars: The Clone Wars sets have them.

This being probably the most recent one.

Hope this helps!

Sadly most of the sets with the dark blue "separatist" colors are long out of production, and extremely expensive. The only new Star Wars set with Those colors will be the Malevolence.

Edited by Faefrost

Got a link to your build?

(BTW, sweet neo-blacktron mocs!)

Thank you. :laugh: Here you go; pic1 & pic2.