REVIEW: LEGO Star Wars 9496 – Desert Skiff

149 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• 5 – As badass as Leia in her skimpy outfit chain-choking a vile ganglord
    • 4 – On-the-spot accurate like Artoo’s “lightsaber-shooting” skills
    • 3 – A good balance of a bright sunny desert day and barren Tattoine sand
    • 2 – Almost a miss like half-blinded Han shooting to save Lando
    • 1 - Worse than Boba Fett’s pathetic death at the Sarlacc Pitt
  2. 2. Which minifigure is your favorite in this set?

• Boba Fett
    • Lando Calrissian in Skiff Guard disguise
    • Luke Skywalker
    • Kithaba

Excellent review KielDaMan, i really appreciate the effort that went into this!

The set itself doesn't disappoint either, especially considering it's a relatively small set. From the looks of it, the designers did a pretty good job on the skiff and the Sarlacc as well. Both models are very nicely built and they have all the play features needed to reenact the famous scene from the movie.

But it is obvious that the updated/new minifigs are the main attraction of this set. It's particularly hard to pick a favorite between Boba and Lando, but the grey tunic of Luke is very interesting too and gives us some nice variation. Though i'm not all that familiar with the fourth character, he's a welcome extra to the line up. What's a skiff without some random guards right?

I for one can't wait to get my hands on this set!

I normally lurk through these revbiews but just wanted to say that this is an absolutely outstanding review - the photography is first class, the comparisions with not just the source material but older versions are very useful, and there is a nice smattering of humour and fun in the descriptive text. Great stuff Kiel!

Great review! I want this set so much now because of this review. The detailing on the minifigures in this are amazing too.

Same here! Such a good value, lots of useful parts and fantastic figs for a relatively reasonable price. If it was out in the U.S. I probably would have picked it up already, but alas, none of my local stores seem to have it. :sceptic: Still, I'll probably wind up getting this! Thanks for the great review. :thumbup:

Sry, i haven't got much to add. An outstanding review on a an excellent set. :thumbup:

Actually - the more i see of it, the more this is about to become the set i desire the most. Waiting for a sale in Germany (29.99 €) to get at least two of it. :classic:

I made a little extra cash today, and on the basis of this review, I decided to pick this up, over the similarly priced Saesee's Starfighter I'd planned on getting.

My opinions? It's a solid set. I can't get too frustrated due to the price. Of the sets I own, it seems most comparable to 7749, the Echo Base set. Not so much a vehicle, but some cool figs and a setting to put them in. I have the recent Slave, so the Boba Fett didn't make me drool, but I am always happy to have a new Lando. Lando is awesome, and this one and the Home One version are prize figs for me.

The set is decent enough. I loved Jedi so much that it really is nice to see. I don't think it's exceptional, but it is a solid set, and I'm glad I picked it up. I'll probably be even more glad in the future, as it keeps on tickling that nostalgia center in me that's never going away :sweet:

Thanks for the great review :thumbup:

Amazing set. I see endless uses for Luke's torso, for me it's the best piece in this set.

4 minifigures + brown pieces + tan pieces... well this is a must have :-)

I voted for rating this set a 5. It's as perfect as it can get, IMO. The Sarlacc is really cool. The set's great and the minifigs...are...AMAZING!! I'd say this is the best group of figs in one set that I've ever seen. (Although Shelob Attacks might have the best figs. We'll see once I own both sets.) My favourite of this bunch is Luke. Well, I think this is the best SW set of the year. Can't wait to buy it!

Thanks for the review again, I have a question though, could you post a picture of Lando with his classic hair? I really want to see what it looks like.

Thanks for the review again, I have a question though, could you post a picture of Lando with his classic hair? I really want to see what it looks like.

Sure thing, I'll post a pic later after I get back home from work. :classic:

Sure thing, I'll post a pic later after I get back home from work. :classic:

Thanks a lot! :sweet: Cause from the pictures my mind is thinking the face is printed to far down. :blush:

This is a really great review and has made me decide to buy this set. I love the figures and will probably take the rest for the good pieces.

Thanks a lot! :sweet: Cause from the pictures my mind is thinking the face is printed to far down. :blush:

Here it is, with a comparison shot with the Lando from the Home One playset (the latest Lando minifig before this one). I think the face print is just about right, it might've just looked 'printed too far down' because of the smile. And it's really nice to see how the new one is much more Lando-like with the livelier pupiled eyes and charismatic smile.

7393820350_e80494d287_o.jpg

----

And thanks to everyone for the kind words about the review! Hearing those compliments makes up for all the extra effort and lost time for sleeping to come up with this review. :grin: I'll try to post more reviews of the new sets when I find the time (seeing majority of the sets for this wave have not been properly reviewed yet).

Oh my god! Words fail me, what Kinda Voodoo magic has turned Billy Dee Williams into a Lego Figure? The resemblance is scary. This set has shot up to the top of my buy-list. Thanks a lot Kiel :sweet:

Oh my god! Words fail me, what Kinda Voodoo magic has turned Billy Dee Williams into a Lego Figure?

I agree. This fig is one of the best likeness TLG has done of an actor.

Great review.I really like this set,the main reason is boba fett.I owned the older one when i was younger but not anymore.This one completely beats it though as it even surpasses the 2010 one. Gotta love that leg printing :wub: the old luke from jedi is really hard to get unless you'll pay £250 for the shuttle! :hmpf_bad: This new version is even better than the older one.The skiff itself has undergone quite a transformation which is really good.They have captured Lando's likeness perfectly better than loki in avengers sets! :hmpf_bad:and no stickers wow this looks like a must have!Thanks for the review! :sweet:

Can't wait to get this one. I never picked up the recent Slave 1, so I only have an older Boba Fett figure and I don't have a ROTJ Luke, so that is also welcome.

Great review! The pics are crisp and solid and you covered everything possible. :thumbup:

Edited by Hawkman

Does anyone recommend this set, as I might actually get this awesome set

Definately recommended! I got this set a few weeks ago, and it does not disappoint in any way. The Skiff is quite an elegant looking model, and i had a lot of fun building it and zooming/hovering it around the Sarlacc pit. I'm also having a blast feeding random minifigs to the Sarlacc :laugh:

Having seen the minifigs in the brick, i can honestly say that the new Boba Fett is an instant favorite of mine. It is one of the most detailed and best looking minifigures i have seen to date, but i also really like the new Lando and Luke.

Great review!

This truly is one of the best value for money sets in the LSW collection. I went and tracked down a Han Solo minifig from the 2000 Skiff release for around $10 to ensure that Lando would be rescued ;o)

Famous scene appears early on in this vid I made last month.