Sign in to follow this  
zero1312

Hero Factory series one villian revamps

After seeing some revamps by other users, I decided to do my own.

First up, Xplode:

villianfactory076.jpg

villianfactory077.jpg

Next up, Corroder:

villianfactory068.jpg

villianfactory069.jpg

Next up, Meltdown:

villianfactory079.jpg

villianfactory080.jpg

And at last, Thunder:

villianfactory081.jpg

villianfactory082.jpg

Edited by zero1312

These are really good. Xplode looks good but I think you should change the torso armor. My favorite is probably Corroder. He looks new, but still has the toxic look. Meltdown looks cool, but I think you should change the torso armor. Finally Thunder looks great. He definetly looksformidable and brutish.

Nice, but some of these look really messy because you stuck to some parts of the original designs but changed others completely. I would rebuild them from scratch.

Thanks for your honest opinion. I used the parts, because I wanted them to be still the original designs, not just some upgrades. They're still the versions from the first series. :wink:

Actually, I thought you should just make them a little more, well, customized.

IMO these MOCs are too simple. I would aprreciate if HF Mocers start using some Technic parts for HF MOCs or sth... Anyway. I think that Corroder should have... I don't know how to say... double-jointed legs? Sth like General Grevious :tongue: I don't know how to say that in English. Xplode looks too fatty. I would add sth on the Meltdown's back like in one of my MOCs

lddscreenshot28.png

And Thunder is the worst one... Sorry :P He looks as if he is a hip hop dancer to me :laugh: Good idea but try to work more with it! :thumbup:

That is exactly the point: I wanted them to be simple, simple like the official models. I never wanted to change or update the look of them. I wanted the "1.0 Villians" to be built with the 2.0 System, that's all. :facepalm:

Nice little collection of revamps here! Xplode looks great, I see you used the same method for attaching the shin-guards as I did- it's a useful method, don't you think? The colors are spot-on, and the whole figure looks great, but I would have liked to see a shot with the back spike-flap up.. but that's just me.

While not my favorite villain of the bunch, Corroder looks good as well. The method for the back armor attachment looks interesting, is it only connected via the bottom torso ball?

Ah, then there's Meltdown. I've done him twice and couldn't figure out a proper place to put the Toxic Waste Canisters. I like how you did that. The other thing I particularly like about Melty are the claws- they're independent from the shields on the arms, so he's got something to grab stolen goods with, and a whip, AND a launcher to take care of those pesky Heroes. Very nicely done I think. :)

Lastly, Thunder, the guy I wish I'd bought when I had the chance. He was so cool, with the big claw, that jaw, and the big blade on his back.. The way you made Thunder really shows off how awesome he really is. I like that you kept his claw as the hand and not just as a tool, and gave him the regular hand on the other side, and the shoulder armor for his claw-arm makes it look just that much tougher. The way you attached the crescent blade too was really nice. The Technic parts on the back had me puzzled though- does the shield part wobble around on the front? I liked the asymmetry of the original set, glad you kept it here. :)

Overall they're not a bad bunch of revamps. Maybe a teeny bit plain, but they keep close to the original looks, and that's fine by me.

While not my favorite villain of the bunch, Corroder looks good as well. The method for the back armor attachment looks interesting, is it only connected via the bottom torso ball?

Yes, it is only connected via the bottom joint.

Overall they're not a bad bunch of revamps. Maybe a teeny bit plain, but they keep close to the original looks, and that's fine by me.

Thanks, that was my only goal with them. :wink:

They look better than the original.

I think Meltdown and Corroder have the same issue with the front armor. It is too rectangular. I would replace it with three shells - closer to Xplode's if possible.

In some respects, these are pretty neat, but in others I prefer the actual sets. For instance, XPlode's torso feels lumpy and not very cohesive. It doesn't help that his waist in your revamp is practically the widest part of his body. Also, his back feels hollow and not very substantial. So in most respects I prefer Cirkit's revamp to this one.

Corroder is probably the nicest-looking of the bunch. While I really liked the original set's design, this design comes really close in proportions and aesthetics.

Meltdown is also nice, but his hands/tools could use improvement. Specifically, it feels weird with his tools standing so far off his wrists. I think he would be better if his "claws" were attached directly to the "shield" pieces on his arms, as was the case in the original set.

Thunder's an interesting case, because while he doesn't look entirely cohesive, the same could be said of the original set to some extent. You did an absolutely magnificent job with his tools, IMO. But the tubing pieces on his torso feel somewhat out-of-place, as does the bulky shoulder armor he has. Although it might limit posability, I would think a 2.0 torso shell in Silver Metallic, attached like the shoulder armor of Jetbug, Stormer 3.0, etc, would better emulate the shoulder armor he has in the set. Your shoulder armor design is nice (I can see you borrowed it from the new Bulk), but I don't think it works here because it makes the armor on that side look too narrow. It's all up close to the head and so doesn't stick off the shoulder itself as much as the blade on the other side, so he looks imbalanced.

Overall though there are some creative techniques in play here, and while some of these models could use further improvement they definitely work towards the goal they set out to achieve, that being a re-imagining of these characters using the new building style.

New pictures of Meltdown and Xplode with torso changes in the start post.

In some respects, these are pretty neat, but in others I prefer the actual sets. For instance, XPlode's torso feels lumpy and not very cohesive. It doesn't help that his waist in your revamp is practically the widest part of his body. Also, his back feels hollow and not very substantial. So in most respects I prefer Cirkit's revamp to this one.

Too be honest, that was a upgrade in terms of looks and cluttered-looking in terms of colors. As I said before, my goal was to maintain the looks of the originals, NOT upgrade them by any means.

Meltdown is also nice, but his hands/tools could use improvement. Specifically, it feels weird with his tools standing so far off his wrists. I think he would be better if his "claws" were attached directly to the "shield" pieces on his arms, as was the case in the original set.

I did this because on the original set, the claws were standing too far off each other.

So in most respects I prefer Cirkit's revamp to this one.

Thanks! Wasn't really expecting that.

There is one thing regarding this Xplode(and I did on mine too :sceptic: ) that seems to have been overlooked- The length of the arms. On the set they were lanky, and a fair bit too long. In both revamps the arms are average length, the hands stop too far from where they're meant to be. It's a tiny issue, but one that can be easily corrected. Provided the figures are still together, of course.

These are really good! XPlode and Thunder have to be my favorite's. :thumbup:

Pics of a finetuned Meltdown and Thunder in the start post. Reason was this post:

Thunder's an interesting case, because while he doesn't look entirely cohesive, the same could be said of the original set to some extent. You did an absolutely magnificent job with his tools, IMO. But the tubing pieces on his torso feel somewhat out-of-place, as does the bulky shoulder armor he has. Although it might limit posability, I would think a 2.0 torso shell in Silver Metallic, attached like the shoulder armor of Jetbug, Stormer 3.0, etc, would better emulate the shoulder armor he has in the set. Your shoulder armor design is nice (I can see you borrowed it from the new Bulk), but I don't think it works here because it makes the armor on that side look too narrow. It's all up close to the head and so doesn't stick off the shoulder itself as much as the blade on the other side, so he looks imbalanced.

Thanks for this honest critic....

Pics of a finetuned Meltdown and Thunder in the start post. Reason was this post:

Thanks for this honest critic....

No problem! Thunder and Meltdown are definitely looking a lot nicer now. The new shoulder armor for Thunder does a good job echoing the shape of the armor from the original set while sticking to the new building system and fitting in with the other armor on his arms and legs. And Meltdown's weapons now look very imposing, even if it means being a bit more complex than is usually seen in sets with the new building system. Very nice work!