So, another lesson is learned: when you see lower than expected price, first order and than ask questions.

So, another lesson is learned: when you see lower than expected price, first order and than ask questions.

lol, thanks man but that's a lesson I don't need to learn! Of course I would have bought it at that price.

I live in Belgium, I can only buy from the Belgian S@H. The price issue happened in France.

Then it would make no difference even if price in France would stay 139,99

And we already discussed (probably hundreds of times) that it makes no sense in ranting about differences in prices beteween countries.

Then it would make no difference even if price in France would stay 139,99

And we already discussed (probably hundreds of times) that it makes no sense in ranting about differences in prices beteween countries.

Althought the bottom line of the debate is the price of the set, the essence of the discussion is not about that, it's about the lack of consideration they have for their customers.

Also note that we are talking about 2 adjacent countries of the Euro zone, two markets that probably have more in common than a lot of other ones. I honestly never paid any attention if sets are usually priced differently on the French & Belgian S@H but I seriously doubt it is the case (except perhaps for sales?) because it would not really make much sense from a commercial stand point.

It may be justified for countries that have their goods shipped from a different factory (e.g. America vs Europe) or when the shipping is much higher (Australia/Asia).

But here in continental Europe there is no reason for a different price for neighbor countries which are all part of EU and have their products coming from the same warehouse.

edit: Yatkuu was faster

I honestly never paid any attention if sets are usually priced differently on the French & Belgian S@H but I seriously doubt it is the case (except perhaps for sales?) because it would not really make much sense from a commercial stand point.

To be honest, the Fire Brigade was 20 € cheaper in Belgium than in France, and for some time (I took long time to decide to buy it, despite the fact that I was getting it cheaper than French people). Now they are at the same price.

Edited by antp

Well, I wasn't going to get this set at first, as I was perfectly content with the Vampyre Castle.

However, now, as I've got some money to burn, I may just do so. I'll probably wait 'til double VIP points though.

One detail I find amusing about the Haunted House is that there is a portrait of Lord Vampyre in it.

I thought vampires were unable to be painted. :tongue:

Bluebeard, out-

Well... first of all, I like the monsters theme, but not so much the "monster fighters" theme... the monsters are some of my favorite collectible minifugures, and I've managed to get some that were missing by trading for some monster fighter figures, but I'm not so much into the "playability" of the MF theme... just want the variety of monsters for displays and MOCs.

I found it a little bit odd that they'd take what is really more of a kids/non-AFOL theme (unlike, say, modular buildings) and make a set like this for it. Even worse is that, after perusing the latest catalog (got mine only just yesterday), I noticed (I hadn't really paid that much attention) that this competes directly with Vampyre Castle. How many homes does Lord Vamp have, anyway?

I don't think this set was originally intended as an MF set (or a modular)... I think someone just built it and some supervisors liked it and it moved up the chain to where someone decided it would make a good set. Somewhere along the way they figured it was best put in the MF theme instead of holiday (Halloween), added some figures and threw in some stickers.

The set was on my "must have" list for some time... but now that I see it, how expensive it is, realize I'm not so much a fan of MF (just the monsters, and already have vampires and Frankenstein's monster), I just can't accept $180 for it. I know, I know most countries are paying more, but things are rough all over, I'm a middle aged man with a family to support, and over the last few years LEGO prices have gone up a lot faster than inflation dictates they should, while "real" wages (adjusted for inflation) have largely gone down. I'm not "whining," TLG can charge what they think people will pay - I'm still a largely free market capitalist, but I have to make my own decisions and, as much as I like the horror theme, and as much as I like the monsters in MF, I can't justify to myself paying this much.

It's a beautiful set... and inspires me to make my own, that will be usable by lifting off floors modular style, and that will fit in the "creepy" end of my someday LEGO layout, maybe an out-of-place house between Apple Tree and Family House, maybe in a modular section I can display on Halloween.

I don't know why I'm even posting this except that Capt. Bluebeard's post made me think about how TLG treated this set, and that I'd actually be angry after buying Vampyre Castle and having this set come out. I also thought about Yatkuu's posts... I agree this set is too expensive. I don't think it's fair to complain that you weren't able to get a "mistake" price, but I do get annoyed at how they force you to buy from one country while another somehow gets to capitalize on the mistake(*), and this set is just too expensive, IMO. From now on, there's no such thing as "must have." As a side note, Yatkuu, I do think you were robbed with the Winchester, no matter how gracious you were about the decision - I can see why you've gotten really upset about the TLG.

(*) Not just LEGO - DVD and Bluray discs are another example - region coding so that they can artificially charge some people more than others. But we sit back and take it because we want what we want, just like with LEGO.

Edited by fred67

The set was on my "must have" list for some time... but now that I see it, how expensive it is, realize I'm not so much a fan of MF (just the monsters, and already have vampires and Frankenstein's monster), I just can't accept $180 for it. I know, I know most countries are paying more, but things are rough all over, I'm a middle aged man with a family to support, and over the last few years LEGO prices have gone up a lot faster than inflation dictates they should, while "real" wages (adjusted for inflation) have largely gone down. I'm not "whining," TLG can charge what they think people will pay - I'm still a largely free market capitalist, but I have to make my own decisions and, as much as I like the horror theme, and as much as I like the monsters in MF, I can't justify to myself paying this much.

See, it's this kind of rationality that puts me in a good mood, and can sometimes be in short supply among collector communities, sadly (spend some time among Transformers collectors... *shudder*). If you don't like the price, you don't need to buy it. That's how buying things is supposed to work, but so often we see something desirable and lose all rational thought because MONEY BE DAMNED I HAVE TO HAVE THAT SHINY THING!

So yeah, you've pretty much summed up my thoughts on this set (except I'm not middle aged, and I don't have any kids. Hopefully). It's a nice set, but I don't really want it. I certainly don't NEED it. I don't NEED any Lego because I'm an adult and I don't need to buy children's toys. Every Lego purchase is based on want, and I don't want to pay £150 for it. £50? I'd consider buying it. But since it won't ever go at that price I needn't worry.

Thanks for the constructive feedback guys, I just wanted to comment on what you have said.

First off – I’ll give you that I have probably over-reacted on my last posts (I’m sorry if I upset anyone btw). As mentioned, I have had my share of bad news with LEGO, I usually keep my cool but this last episode has been the straw that broke the camel’s back. LEGO is for me as for many of us a question of passion, it’s not always easy to be reminded that down the line it’s still just a business.

I have no right to claim for LEGO to sell me a set at a price that is by their own admission a mistake, but I do believe I have the right to ask for their consideration. When a customer service admits a mistake and only say “sorry” that does not cut it in my opinion because between the lines I really read “better luck next time”. Saying “sorry, it was a mistake” is how you justify your screw-ups to your boss, if you want to make amends to your customers you first and above all assure them that it won’t happen again and then you put your money where your mouth is and you offer some kind of compensation in the hope that you can restore the trust. Based on the feedback I have received so far from LEGO, I see nothing but hollow contrition and that’s not good enough for me because I expect better from them.

I agree with you when you say that there are no such things as “must have” anymore - you don’t like the price don’t buy… sure, it’s all good common sense.

On the other hand I would still like to believe that some good business practices should remain. In cases like this, when it is obvious that the TLG is being sloppy and disrespectful of their fan base I believe it is our role as well to remind them that we are not just their fans, we are also their customers.

TLG is doing good as a company, better even. We have all read how they managed to increase their profit in a market that is in crisis. Way to go, I’m happy for them. They create great products and they are rewarded for it, it’s all for the best and I’m sure we all want to keep it that way. On the other hand if nobody speaks up to tell them when the overstep the line they’ll just keep doing false steps and in the end it’s going to be bad news for everyone.

Customer feedback - positive or negative - is always good, it’s what keeps a company sharp and on the edge. Being passive does not send any message.

I don't know why I'm even posting this except that Capt. Bluebeard's post made me think about how TLG treated this set, and that I'd actually be angry after buying Vampyre Castle and having this set come out.

Just to clarify, I bought Vampyre Castle (well, actually it was a birthday present) with full knowledge of the Haunted House, and I don't love it any less than I would've done if the Haunted House did not exist.

Personally, I prefer the Gothic style of the Vampyre Castle over the style (I'm not sure what you'd call that style...) that the Haunted House has.

To be honest, I'm not too bothered about getting the Haunted House in a hurry; if I don't get it in October, I'll probably end up getting it for Christmas.

Bluebeard, out-

I don't think this set was originally intended as an MF set (or a modular)... I think someone just built it and some supervisors liked it and it moved up the chain to where someone decided it would make a good set.

This is actually, quite literally, exactly the way it happened - no speculation necessary. It was delineated in the LEGO Club TV video posted earlier in this thread. The designer took it upon himself to build the Haunted House on his own time and offer it as an alternative to the Vampyre Castle set as the high-end set in the line. The decision was to continue with the castle in the 'main' line and to offer the Haunted House as an additional 'special' set.

Hello! For those of you who have followed the story of the Haunted House set release on the French Shop@Home I wanted to share with you the final chapter of my exchanges with the Customer Service.

Just to remind you the circumstances... during the week-end of the release, the set was sold by mistake for 139,99€ on the French S@H. I live in Belgium so I could not buy the set at that price - for me, the price shown online on the Belgian S@H was 179,99€. Instead of quietly purchasing the set as I initially intended to do, I wrote to the Customer Service to express my disappointment and ask them for a commercial gesture. At first they kinda politely blew me off, they claimed the set had never been sold at that price, then they admitted that the erroneous price had been displayed for a while without admitting more... finally after 4 emails they now fully admit the mistake, they confirm that all orders made at the wrong price have been honored.. and that in compensation for my disappointment they are going to credit my VIP account of 300 points (15€)... and they wish me fun building the Haunted House that I will surely order soon.

So, that's a happy ending for me! I honestly do not care much for the 15€, I essentially wanted them to come clean regarding their screw-up and do a small gesture... so, thanks LEGO.

I'm glad I did not give up on this one, I just did not want to be resentful towards them because this hobby is just too important for me. I know that some people here on the forum did not think I had the right to claim anything - an error is an error, period. Fair enough, but I do have very high expectations towards LEGO and I believe we should all expect from them nothing but the best in class service. For that, I'm more than willing to play my part and provide them with feedback, positive or negative.

Hi, probably another review will help to decide if obtaining or not this set.

In my case, is now on the wishlist. :classic:

and that in compensation for my disappointment they are going to credit my VIP account of 300 points (15€)

I should have also contacted them then :hmpf_bad:

(and I even got the HH myself, at the full price)

Me and my son went to the Lego Store the other day and picked up ours.

And I must say, it wasn't a mistake!

It is absolutely brilliant, it's really well designed, and I think even at £150, it's still a bargin.

Me and my son went to the Lego Store the other day and picked up ours.

And I must say, it wasn't a mistake!

It is absolutely brilliant, it's really well designed, and I think even at £150, it's still a bargin.

My girls and I were at the LEGO store yesterday drooling over it. I'm trying to hold off a bit before purchasing it, but I don't know how long I'll last. :laugh:

My girls and I were at the LEGO store yesterday drooling over it. I'm trying to hold off a bit before purchasing it, but I don't know how long I'll last. :laugh:

I highly recommend it , and you get the free polybag with it if you purchase it this month :)

I highly recommend it , and you get the free polybag with it if you purchase it this month :)

I know, and I want that zombie car!! We went back today and spent about 40 dollars (mostly my girls' own money). If we had bought all what we purchased today yesterday, then I would have that car!! :angry:

I'm not sure what your point is, october.

Please keep in mind that reviving older topics (this one being 1 year old) without adding much to the general discussion, or just to show-off your collection without a word of explanation, is frowned upon by the EB Staff.

LuxorV what are you? Are you a policeman, moderator?

I have not done anything bad or wrong. Just wanted to share how beautiful this set is and compared it with other modulars. I always miss photos where sets are compered. So I thought someone would appreciate a photo without any comment.

But you obviously couldn't resist to by a Policeman.

Edited by october

First of all, I'm sorry to see you so carried away about this. I did just invite you to follow our forum's 'netiquette'.

Anyway, I'm sure you can agree that posting the photo plus a couple of lines explaining that you meant it as a contribution to show how the set does mix with the other modulars would have been more useful.

Just imagine what would happen if many members here were to post just images in topics, without explanation.

Again, I invite you to take a little more time before posting your contributions, just to make sure the post follows the Member Guidelines and its aim is easily understandable by everyone. :classic: