Sign in to follow this  
Miles

Quality Control in LOTR Lego Sets...

Hi everyone,

I've been visiting this site semi-regularly since the announcement of the Lord of the Rings product line, and in addition to getting me all excited about it, this forum has rekindled my love for Classic Lego Castle Sets. I started this topic because as I've returned to Lego as an adult and started assembling the Lord of the Rings sets, I've encountered some (albeit fairly small) problems with the quality of the plastic.

I've only assembled 2 kits so far - Gandalf Arrives, and the Uruk-hai Army. What's odd is that I had problems in both sets. (Now I'm kind of afraid to open the rest of the line I have waiting in my closet. :cry_sad: ) In the Gandalf Arrives set, the spine edges of the book cracked immediately upon closing it, which, aside from the unsightly white lines is probably okay as long as I don't intend to open it again...though being made for kids, how the heck is it going to stand up to the abuse they'll probably put it through?

In the Uruk-hai Army set, everything was fine until I went to put the spear in one of the minifigures' hands. It seemed to require a bit more force than I ever remember needing stocking up my Wolfpack armies or Islanders, and when it did finally snap in, it maganged to lift off a layer of plastic 'skin'. (It sort of looks like it's shedding/peeling now.)

Perhaps it's just the brown plastic; it does seem a bit softer than the old spears, though that's relying on a 20 year-old memory. Or I could just be on an unlucky streak.

Anybody else have any thoughts or similar experiences? After an 18 year lego absence, this isn't quite how I imagined my return going... (Though I am finding the new horses and incredibly detailed printing quite fun. :classic: )

Welcome back to the hobby! :classic:

I only have Gandalf Arrives and Shelob Attacks from this line, and the book spine does have white lines, but I think that's normal and nothing to worry about (unless yours is actually really cracked, and is about to split into two). The technic flex connector joints from late 90s were also like this, and none of them ever broke on me.

If any of your parts break, call Lego service and they'll send you a replacement part. Or use their dedicated form on their web site.

Don't know about spears, really. I got back into the hobby in 2002 and collected almost exclusively Technic and Town/City/Trains - the only "castle" set I ever owned is Blacksmith shop.

The books certainly get white lines. and i think the hands are abit ahrder than back in the old days, but ususaly it doesent cause any problems.

In the Uruk-hai Army set, everything was fine until I went to put the spear in one of the minifigures' hands. It seemed to require a bit more force than I ever remember needing stocking up my Wolfpack armies or Islanders, and when it did finally snap in, it maganged to lift off a layer of plastic 'skin'. (It sort of looks like it's shedding/peeling now.)

Perhaps it's just the brown plastic; it does seem a bit softer than the old spears, though that's relying on a 20 year-old memory. Or I could just be on an unlucky streak.

Anybody else have any thoughts or similar experiences? After an 18 year lego absence, this isn't quite how I imagined my return going... (Though I am finding the new horses and incredibly detailed printing quite fun. :classic: )

I've had similar incidents with the recent Kingdoms line. I don't know whether it's due to the softer plastic they use for weapons nowadays or whether it's the hands that are harder - or a combination of both - but it does bug me somewhat. I really miss the old, hard weapons. But unfortunately, it's not an issue with these sets: it's just the way LEGO is these days. :hmpf_bad:

I have never found any problem with LEGO sets. Books usually show a white line but none of the ones I posses has ever cracked even though some of them are about 10 years old.

I've experienced similar issues with some weapons, though it has happened on a variety of part/color combinations and with various figures. In my limited experience (just got back into LEGO this year), I'd tentatively agree with Hive; perhaps this just how LEGO is these days?

Thanks guys, maybe some of it is just the plastic being manufactured these days. Kinda makes me sad. Lego however is replacing both of them, and waived my offer to pay. Thier plastic may not seem quite as good as it used to be, but they're customer service is still fantastic. Kudos to them on that end.

I assembled my Orc Forge today, and aside from a small kiniption fit while tying string with tweezers, I'm happy to report that I had no problems of any kind. It's really a great little set, though I anticipate replacing the light brick with some flicker LED's from a model train supplier. (I just can't help myself. :wink: )

I'll keep everyone updated as I get to the rest of the sets.

Just noticed yesterday that Frodo's smirk is a bit smeared in my copy of Gandalf arrives. :sceptic:

I hate these new spears because they're a pain to put into minifigure hands and I fear I will break something. :hmpf_bad: So, I've also had the same problem as you. :sad:

I hate these new spears because they're a pain to put into minifigure hands and I fear I will break something. :hmpf_bad: So, I've also had the same problem as you. :sad:

This is exactly why I usually slide the spears in. I hate breaking off minifigs hands. It's awful.

Well, problems putting minifig accessories in their hands are not that rare. I once damaged the plastic of a suitcase from my Metroliner set by trying to put in a minifig hand. The same happened to me with the CMF series 3 elf and its bow. I'd say the brown plastic is prone to this. I just don't put accessories on my minifigures' hands anymore.

I'd say the brown plastic is prone to this. I just don't put accessories on my minifigures' hands anymore.

...but, how do you play? :)

Just noticed yesterday that Frodo's smirk is a bit smeared in my copy of Gandalf arrives. :sceptic:

I noticed the same with Merry's fighting expression. I display him with his mischievous look, so it's not a big deal for me. I'd assume you'd get a replacement head from LEGO if you contact customer service.

I had a similar issue with the books in the moria set. Also my legolas face has a deep line across his face. It cuts across his face but only on one side. I also noticed some kinda off printing on my uruk-hai chests.

I think LEGO has reduced its quality in the last few years, probably to save money :sad:

I don't think that is necessarily the case, I just think that Lego is producing more than ever and the more you produce the more quality problems you are going to get. I have always had faces printing variances and different consistencies in the quality of the Lego bricks. I have mini-figs back from the early 90s that can prove that. All I am saying is that I wouldn't worry about it too much as the sets are made for kids and most children out there really couldn't care less as long as the parts stick together well. :classic:

Edited by Jack Bricker

I haven't noticed any issues with the weapons other than some of the bows and Uruk-hai swords. It's mostly where they are "ribbed", the plastic there kinda gets mushed up from putting them in and out of the figures hands. I wish they would just make these parts smooth and save us the trouble...

I also noticed some of my figures have some super small scratches on their torsos or legs. The worst is my King Theoden who has his a huge scuff on his chest. I assume this is from the figures being thrown about during shipping and whatnot and getting scruffed up by the other bricks in the bags with them :sceptic:

Edited by Deathleech

Oh dear, quality control. This picture should speak for itself...

7165870815_82edb462cb_b.jpg

This isn't really an issue with plastic, it's the printing in this case. Still, getting four misprinted figures in one set is rather unfortunate.

Better pictures are on my Flickr of the individual figures.

Edit: Merry and the Ringwraith have smudged printing. Frodo's face is offset and Aragorn has inverted colours.

Edited by Delta 38

I just heard back from Lego, and apparently the part I requested (LOTR spear) isn't available at this time. They said I was more than welcome to contact them again in the future when the part becomes available. (Though I'm not sure how I'm supposed to know when that will be - it was on the list of items to select for replacement.)

In reality though, these are children's toys and I guess I shouldn't let myself become too obsessed with expecting perfection. It seems Lego certainly spoiled me through the early 90's in that regard. Though perhaps my 11 year-old self wasn't quite as discerning, either.

On the building front, I finished Helm's Deep last night, and it's HUGE! No problems or missing parts to speak of, and - aside from the stickers - no hassles at all. Except now I have to figure out where to put it... :hmpf:

I had a similar issue with the books in the moria set. Also my legolas face has a deep line across his face. It cuts across his face but only on one side. I also noticed some kinda off printing on my uruk-hai chests.

Maybe he got his butt kicked in a bar-fight.

I've just bought 2 sets from argos uk and have to say that the quality in bricks and minifigs are a lot better than thise from the helms deep set which i got from BARNES &NOBLE USA. The quality of plastic is certainly different for the bricks as well as the printing on the minifigs.

Oh dear, quality control. This picture should speak for itself...

7165870815_82edb462cb_b.jpg

This isn't really an issue with plastic, it's the printing in this case. Still, getting four misprinted figures in one set is rather unfortunate.

Better pictures are on my Flickr of the individual figures.

Edit: Merry and the Ringwraith have smudged printing. Frodo's face is offset and Aragorn has inverted colours.

The smudges on Merry are quite evident - but less so on the Ringwraith. Frodo really isn't anything to worry about (maybe a millimeter offset) and Aragorn is just flat out bizarre. That could actually be worth something if it's a rare enough misprint.

I just opened Uruk-Hai army the other day, and noticed A LOT of bricks had dented corners and scratched surfaces. Also, it took quite a bit of force to get the heads onto the torsos, and turning them takes some effort. It's definitely disappointing.

The best thing to do would be to compile all the recorded errors so far in the first post and look for trends.

I get this alot in IT - people state they've found an error, but if they're the only ones who have found it (and it can't be reproduced), then it's too inconclusive to determine if it's a legitimate error. For example, if several people report in of a mis-printed Merry figure, then we might have a substantial case. If no one else reports in a mis-printed Merry, then it's not an issue.

QC issues exist in a number of products, but identifying which products is key.