Sign in to follow this  
IAmWillGibson

Treebeard MOC

I figured I'd try my hand at a Treebeard. I'm happy with it. Not 100%, obviously, and if I get around to taking him apart and trying a version 2, there's plenty I'd do differently,, mostly involving not using Bionicle parts as the skeleton. It makes him pretty flexible [as flexible as a tree can be] but it's also hard to work with and hard to conceal.

Anyway, Treebeard! [Whereby Sam and Frodo are playing the parts of Merry and Pippin]

7338134650_48a1d86365_c.jpg

7338133954_9173368f5a_c.jpg

Treebeard doesn't like spiders:

7338133188_ffa2d94795_z.jpg

Feel free to tell me where I went wrong!

I think it looks pretty cool. I like the overall shape and posability. I hope you don't redesign it and lose that. Theing that might make it look better is more leaf/moss/vine things to give a mmore living tree vibe rather than just living tree trunk.

i think it looks good. i like the joints you came up with and gave it some.

also like the design of his beard.

the bad part about a real treebeard lego set would be the minifigures for it wouldn't be new.

This is a nice brick-built Treebeard. The only issue I see is that the Bionicle parts stand out too much. If you had the parts in brown, reddish-brown or dark flesh, they would be less noticable and make the build more cohesive.

BTW: What part is the blue piece in the tree from the Monster Fighters Werewolf set?

For some reason when I was picking through the Bionicle parts, I convinced myself I needed green for the substructure [as I don't have much, if any, brown] although that's pretty opposite what a tree should be. Swapping the parts out with black should be pretty simple, and woulda done half the work I was trying to do covering the green up.

The thing in the Werewolf tree is one of the little under-spinner add-ons that came in the Mezmo pack. They're purple snakes, and would have been lovely if not for the large hole they have in them.

Wow! awesome MOC, really liking the brown/limegreen combo, works well.

=Legonardo=

Well done! I love those Treebeard mocs people are doing, and can't wait to see LEGO's official spin on it (as I'm sure we'll see one eventually).

I agree with your assessment - the bionicle works great for posability - but increases the challenge by hiding it...

Though you could always argue the lime green is the ent water flowing through his "veins" :wink:

The face/beard are I thought was particularly well done.

This isn't directed directly towards you - but I always found the movie ents to be so skinny. When I read the book I imagined these monstrously fat rain forest type trees... :shrug:

While to be honest I prefer Nuju Metru's version over yours this one is also a nicely done Treebeard. Apart from stuff others have already pointed out I have only one criticism: the log bricks look really odd on him.

the bad part about a real treebeard lego set would be the minifigures for it wouldn't be new.

Really? I'd see that as a good thing, as both Merry and Pippin each come in relatively expensive sets; this would be a good way to all four hobbits (along with Frodo and Sam from Shelob Attacks) at a decent price.

While to be honest I prefer Nuju Metru's version over yours this one is also a nicely done Treebeard. Apart from stuff others have already pointed out I have only one criticism: the log bricks look really odd on him.

Thanks for focusing it in for me. I've decided I really don't like this guy from the knees down, and will be working to correct that. I've uncovered a few parts I forgot I had that might help.

I only saw Nuju Metru's now, and while the arms are a bit spindly, it does look good, especially the face... Ach, it's hard to look at your own thing after seeing how another person did it, and avoid ripping off aspects of it. But I have barely any of those clicky-hinge brick things he makes use of, which, honestly, look like a way smarter part to have made use of.

So I took some input, went back to the drawing board on the lower half, and ended up doing some tweaks to the eyes and nose and a bit of the substructure as well. I'm happier with him now than I was before, and I think I'm gonna sit on it and try not to futz. I'd still want to fix his hands, but lack of brown parts hinder that [not to mention one of the fingers up and broke, so he got dropped from 8 to 6].

Anyway, here's a photo of the updated model.

7350372382_83e1881b06_c.jpg

It's hard to tell, but he has a lovely sleepy/bored expression. I need to work on my photography skills.

Nice MOC. I really love LOTR and the Treebeard character and you have rendered him pretty good. I also really loke your tree. Great job and looking forward to more. :classic:

Treebeard looks great. I love how you've used technic pieces without interfering with the brick-built look of your design.

I'd still want to fix his hands, but lack of brown parts hinder that [not to mention one of the fingers up and broke, so he got dropped from 8 to 6].

The hands are one of my favorite parts of your build. They're kinda creepy in exactly the right way. Too bad you had a piece break though.

So yeah, this is a three-month old topic, but in a recent Grab Bag from the LEGO store I got a few light green pieces that I used to fix up Treebeard's hands. I updated the LDD file and include an image of that, because it's easier than taking a picture. What do we think the odds of an official Treebeard set are?