Brickmamba

Review: 9516 Jabba’s Palace

Review: 9516 Jabba’s Palace  

145 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

My order arrived today (I just love Amazon!).

Overall, I'm really impressed by the set, and I don't regret buying it.

There are several really nice little touches; the panelling on the door, Han's 'sleepy' expression, and Jabba's throne. Boushh is just beautiful, no other way to descibe her :wub: :wub: :wub:

However, I'm still not too sure about the Gammorean Guard....it's just not Lego somehow but perhaps he'll grow on me eventually!

Is it worth the full price? No, but at 25% off it's getting there! :wink: I just wish that it was a 1,000+ part set, as it's all a bit too cramped for me. I would have been happy to paid for a larger set & I don't think that I'm in the minority on that one.

Same here, the figs look gorgeous! :wub:

I'm a fan off the Gammoreon Guard and Boush.

The build itself is nice too, way better then the old one.

Certainly worth it's price! (was €120)

I like it more, now after the review. Didn't care for it much but if the price would drop (significantly) I might get one. I like all the minifigs in the set, they look great.

Has anyone done any modifications to the set yet? I've built the Rancor Pit first and looking to start the Palace tomorrow. I know both fit together, but I am looking to expand on this and was wondering if anyone had added any extras on as yet.

Has anyone done any modifications to the set yet? I've built the Rancor Pit first and looking to start the Palace tomorrow. I know both fit together, but I am looking to expand on this and was wondering if anyone had added any extras on as yet.

A gamorrean barracks, Han/Chewie jail cell and droid torture room would be my first place to start. If I owned either of the two sets :-P

Very nice review. Right now I see the jabba's set price lowered by couple more dollars so I am definitely going to buy this set.

Do you have a review of the Ucs r2d2 by any chance too?

Managed to pick up this set for half price-ish he other day. I felt less agrieved paying £59 for it than £99-£120. Even then, it seems a lot.

It is a well designed set however! Quite detailed and the mechanisms are all very smooth. Every brick seems appropriately placed and the main attraction is obviously the minifigures!

I rated it as good

I had no intention of getting this set. I Star Wars is just not my favorite theme, I have a few iconic Star Wars sets, but...

This set will be an excellent parts pack for a MOC I have in mind, a desert type building to go with my Oasis Carpet and Coffee Shop. I really like he dark tan and "flesh" bricks and tiles.

I will build he set to learn wht can be learned, the on to a MOC.

Andy D

Probably along time since you last thought about it, but I have started modding mine, first thing I did was get rid of all the bluish gray floor plates and replaced them with sand coloured ones (Jabba's floor was sand coloured after all). I have just extended the throne room to build the four alcoves opposite Jabba and am hoping to finish the whole throne room properly soon. I ahve custom made all his henchmen as well to go in it, first ever MOC so taking a while, I have been making the henchmen for almost 2 years I think :)

It is pricey but it is star wars. Most license themes are expensive and the mould for jabba and the new bounty hunter helmet adds to the cost as well. I say get the set despite the price point because from the review you can see its an amazing set. Also its not everyday that we get building structures in the lego star wars universe.

This image just shows what's wrong with TLG now. Adding a bit of colour onto the old mould, say the eyes, mouth, and cross belts would be fine, now we end up with a stupid over sized and over detailed action figure :hmpf_bad:. Boushh's helmet is an example of too much detail making the helmet too big. The old stormtrooper helmets where the perfect size as well as been detailed enough, this helmet is far too big.

Good fig review though :grin:, I like the comparisons, though I don't agree :laugh:. I also think it's great they reused the head tail mould for Bib pirate_thumbup.gif.

I'm on the fence about this. On the one hand, the old one really is quite plain for the lack of printing, but on the other hand I think it would have been fine without quite so much printing as the new one; moreover I have several of the old ones, while I can get only two by buying one copy apiece of this set and the Rancor pit, and I'm not sure from looking at the photos whether I want to mix them - do I use everything and have oddly different-looking Gamorreans, use the somewhat plainer-looking old ones exclusively, or use exclusively the new ones (and consequently have hardly any)? Decisions, decisions...

Anyway, kudos to the original reviewer for the comparisons; it's appreciated! :thumbup:

Whoops, just noticed I'd already replied to this review on a different page some time ago. I'd completely forgotten. :blush:

I'm in a similar situation, Jabba had 8 Gamorreans and I have 7 at the moment, 3 new, 4 old, they look pretty odd when put together unfortunately

Probably along time since you last thought about it, but I have started modding mine, first thing I did was get rid of all the bluish gray floor plates and replaced them with sand coloured ones (Jabba's floor was sand coloured after all). I have just extended the throne room to build the four alcoves opposite Jabba and am hoping to finish the whole throne room properly soon. I ahve custom made all his henchmen as well to go in it, first ever MOC so taking a while, I have been making the henchmen for almost 2 years I think :)

I did a modded Jabba's Palace last year...it's on my sig. Pretty easy to do and IMO, looks better this way.