Brickmamba

Review: 9516 Jabba’s Palace

Review: 9516 Jabba’s Palace  

145 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

This really is a great addition to the OT collection, since the previous version of Jabba's Palace was somewhat lackluster in my opinion. But this looks great - the minifigs are obviously a huge selling point here, and the palace itself has a nice overall look. Great stuff! Unfortunately, the price will prevent me from getting this :sad: That's just too steep for me...

The only downside I can see is the price point. I'll probably end up buying it anyway, tho ^^

I love the look of this set and the minifigs are to die for, but like a lot of people I'm balking at the price-to-piece ratio. Boushh Leia is my favourite too -- So to prevent myself from coveting this set too much I forked over $12 for a Boushh Leia last weekend at Brickfete in Toronto.

I know it's apples and oranges (older set, non-licensed) but my 10193 Medieval Market Village came in today and at $135 CAD for 1602 pieces, the price of Jabba's Palace is quite hard to swallow! I find myself wishing that if enough people don't buy Jabba's Palace TLC will rein in their prices but who am I kidding? This thing will sell like hotcakes!

I'm not that bothered by the over-sized heads and the height of the guard minifig. If that was the only way they could get the incredible amount of detail I'm fine with it. Lego minifigs aren't exactly perfect human proportions anyway. :classic:

Chewbacca could use an overhaul. Longer legs and arms. He looks diminutive compared to the Gamorrean.

This set is definitely awesome and a must have. I do agree the price is a bit steep, but thats Lego at its finest. :tongue:

I also don't like the new Gomorrean Guard as it does look too detailed, but still better than the old one.

The set looks great overall. Also, am I the only one the loves all the vibrant colors on the box art. :wub:

Well... I bought Jabba's Palace from Amazon.es which at least ensured I paid a somewhat reasonable price for this set, compard to the regular retail and S@H prices.

Wow man, thanks for the tip ! I've like that set since the first time I saw it but I could not fin any way to justify spending 130 euros for it. It "only" costs 99 euros on the spanish amazon, now I'm really considering pulling the trigger.

With the news from Comic Con about the Rancor pit, this is going to turn a great set into an amazing set.

Thanks for the comparison shots of the old Bib.

With the news from Comic Con about the Rancor pit, this is going to turn a great set into an amazing set.

Thanks for the comparison shots of the old Bib.

Oh yeah, I can't wait! to see those two sets together. I don't think dropping a fig into the pit will ever get old. :laugh:

Very nice review on a great set. A good collection of memorable minifgs with outstanding detail. The printing isn't perfect but the figs are real eye-catchers.

The set itself looks quite accurate and has a strong Tatooine feel. Rooms, interior, gadgets and play functions make it as nice to look at as it attracts to play around with it.

Looking forward to get this set. And i will get it for sure. The recent price boost, however, makes me patient to get it on a serious sale. 20 % off at least.

The prospect of the Rancor's pit adds to the selling proposition of this excellent collector's piece. Just having to wait...

Edited by Ki-Adi-Mundi

I was lucky enough to find this set at a toy store in Malaga during my trip for 140€. It was the only copy in the store, so of course I had to snatch it, and I have no regrets. The set is marvelous, the parts are very useful and the minifigs are to die for. I already have plans to use Oola as some sort of serpent priestess in Heroica RPG (just need to add Spitta's snake hood from Ninjago on her). :wink:

I have no way of understanding how people can think the guard is worse than before.

I like Lego. However, the original guard and a lot of those other old ugly figures really made me not want to buy them. They looked cheap, undetailed and plain.

This new guard is 100x better and doesn't look like a plastic blob of nothing.

I'm buying this set (Amazon sale for $102). Without having touched it I can say I'm buying it pretty exclusively for the minifigures. I usually am a Castle and Super Heroes Lego guy but I really want that Jabba and a few others. The price, even on sale, sucks though. I feel like all Lego is overpriced and this one is extra super overpriced. I'd much rather pay $70 for it.

I wish a Barge was coming out next year but look forward to the Rancor Pit. :)

I'm not sure how this forum feels about double posting... tell me if you hate it.

I just got this today. And as I thought, the build wasn't that great and the actual building isn't either. It's small and cramped. You don't get much for $120 (I got it on sale for $102 and it was still too expensive). Jabba's palace is cramped and dark. Yeah, I'll be taking this apart and maybe making a better one later that can actually fit a crowd.

6/10 for the actual building.

That said, I'm a minifigure guy. I bought this for the minifigures. And this has a very good selection. Jabba is awesome. The new guard is great. Oola and Boushh and Han in Carbonite are all great.

Then you get the same old Chewie as ever and a somewhat boring Salacrious B. Crumb (I never liked this little guy but he's well made).

Still, I'd give like a 9/10 for the minifigures. Probably an 8 for the whole set just because of them despite the price and the kind of "meh" building. Not the best set but I needed this new Jabba. :)

I'm not sure how this forum feels about double posting... tell me if you hate it.

I just got this today. And as I thought, the build wasn't that great and the actual building isn't either. It's small and cramped. You don't get much for $120 (I got it on sale for $102 and it was still too expensive). Jabba's palace is cramped and dark. Yeah, I'll be taking this apart and maybe making a better one later that can actually fit a crowd.

6/10 for the actual building.

You had been warned

DESIGN 8/10 - This palace is no doubt an improvement over the old 4480 set which looks very 'airy'. The dark tan pieces mixed in with the tan gives it that classic Tattooine feel. The palace is one solid looking building from all angles especially when the tower is attached. I did find the throne room a little compact, definitely no room for Max Rebo band so maybe this could have been bigger.

First of all, thanks to the OP for the review, especially for the nice comparison pix of the new figures to their earlier iterations. It's much appreciated!

Are you for real?! I sometimes wonder if no matter how stupid the idea, someone will hold it to be true

Instead of what could be generously described as a half finished design we get something showing real care and attention, something of beauty

Lego gave us lazy designs and worse minifigs in the star wars theme for years - I applaud their new found respect for us and the source material

It's not a matter of the old designs being "lazy" or whatever (and others fans' preferences aren't simply a matter of being "stupid" if they disagree with yours, thankyouverymuch :hmpf_bad: ). It's a matter of how "LEGO-like" the designs are. There's arguably a certain elegance and simplicity to the older designs, at least some of the time.

Some of the new figures' headgear and headpieces are arguably so detailed as to approach action figures - which might be great, if you're an action figure fan, but arguably don't look right when placed next to more conventional LEGO minifigures.

Speaking for myself, while I might like the functionality of something like the new Boba Fett helmet (i.e., the ability to turn it since it's no longer a single piece with the backpack), I still prefer the look of the older one - yes, it's less realistic, but given that his head is already comparable in size to one of his legs, he has a trapezoidal torso, etc., I think strict realism isn't really what we're going for.

Traditionally, there's a certain aesthetic sensibility to LEGO, and it's not necessarily in keeping with strict realism, but rather interprets the look of the movie characters, ships, etc. through a very stylized filter.

Mind you, I do like some of the updates and revisions and whatnot, and I think I'll make room in my own version of Jabba's palace and sail barge for both the earlier and later versions of the Gamorrean guards, but I can certainly understand having a preference for one over the other, and it doesn't necessarily have to be for the later one. Moreover, even if one does like the new one, it's kind of annoying to be put in the position of wanting to start all over again if one's already built a force of several Gamorrean minifigures in the earlier style (don't get me started on the recently "updated" Stormtrooper torso print...).

(don't get me started on the recently "updated" Stormtrooper torso print...).

Tell me about it. I just got through amassing quite a considerable army (around 75) Stormtrooper minifigs...only to have this new torso released. Oh well.

I just ordered this set from Amazon because of the great sale. I think the set is overpriced, but with the sale it is much more swallow-able. The figures alone will go for much, much more, so I might as well just buy the set while it is on sale. I mostly am buying this for the minifigures, but I may build the set. I know I won't keep it built/displayed since I only do that with my absolute favorite sets and I'm not a SW fanatic like I am for other themes. With that said, this should be a great set and addition to the SW LEGO universe.

It is interesting to see earlier versions of the same figures. I can understand people not wanting to jump on these newer printed/detailed figures since they already have a version, but since I don't have anything from before and only got into LEGO SW in 2012, these are all great sets for me. But I can understand the frustration of the stormtrooper torso being slightly modified. I only have one of each and putting them side by side isn't terrible, but it would be better to maintain more continuity. But LEGO keeps making things more detailed/accurate (or at least they are trying), so I guess that is good news for us fans. But the same can be said for the re-iterations of all the ships. I think the 2012 X-wing/Y-wing/TIE Fighter are the best versions yet!

Thanks for the review! I can't wait to get this set. Now I just have to wait until Christmas to open it...

Just having this set at home, so you can look at it every now and then, makes it all worth it. I wish i was a kid again so i could play with it all day, every day!

Nice review. Some great minifigs in there. Personally i really like the new Gamorrean guard.

Some of the pieces are really nice in this set and it looks great.........if a bit small compared to the cheaper and noticeably larger Helms Deep that it's next to at the moment.

Jabba, Salacious Crumb, Bib Fortuna, Gamorrean Guard, Oola, Han Solo, Princess Leia in Boushh outfit, Chewbacca and B’omarr Monk are in the set. i think LEGO Star Wars Jabba s Palace is worth the price

Edited by dundunk