Sign in to follow this  
purpleparadox

Suddenly losing all interest in a whole theme?

That makes sense to prioritize some themes due to budget. I actually have gained interest in more themes lately than I was in before. I was strictly Harry Potter and then Kingdoms when it came out 2010/2011, and now I have all of the POTC, LOTR, SW, Monster Fighters, Kingdoms, Modulars, Winter Village, etc., etc. We definitely went overboard over the last few years and budget wise it was not so smart. I wish I could lose interest in a theme! And with more and more sets coming out, it is tough to decide what to buy.

It is smart for Lego to release multiple sets so people will want to overspend when the time comes, but then it makes a lot of people sad when they can't get all of the sets they want since most themes have such limited releases any more.

Does the CMF's count? If so I'd have to say the Collectible minifigure line is the case for me. I used to love the series but due to a couple reasons, i'm not interested in the series anymore. I do still get a few i'm really after since i still am a minifigure fan, but not as many as i'd get if i'd still love the series itself... if that makes any sense.

For me, the novelty of them wore off after not even a year and a half. Between the problems finding them in stores or even online and the nearly all the figures i have don't work with themes i'm interested in or with things i build, i'm not interested in the theme as a whole

However, i will say this though, I DO have regrets on not getting my hands on a zombie when i could find them. I don't get why that figure is so popular. The selling price on BL, not counting ones in superlots, seems to be at the 9+ dollar mark and it goes up FAST in the new price catagory. Yet the elf only seems to max out on the used price at 9 dollars with the mid $7 range being the norm and an average of the mid $8 range in the new.

For me to some degree it might have to be Star Wars. The main reasons why would be other great licensed sets (LOTR, Marvel, DC) and just too many Star wars Clone Wars or Expanded Universe sets that I've never even heard of.

Initially, when I got into Lego in my adulthood (had lots of them when I was a kid), I only went after Star Wars sets and tried to avoid all the other Lego lines. I made the excuse that the Star Wars Legos were part of my Star Wars collecting. Meaning, I was a Star Wars collector who happened to buy Legos. Now that Lego has fully won me over that's changed and I'm a Lego collector who, among other licenses, buys Star Wars sets.

My Lego madness began 4 years ago but before Christmas time my addiction was ridiculous. A couple of months ago I had to stop and work out exactly what it was I wanted to buy, and try focus on that. I sold off all my unopened train sets and have steadily been cleaning out other Technic sets. Some I have kept aside for resale value like the modulars but I am clearing out others.

That being said, I still collect the CMFs, Star Wars, Modulars, Pirates of the Caribbean and now Lord of the Rings, and if anything like the Volkswagen pops up that I really like I will still buy. Doesn't really sound like I am cutting back that much lol

I haven't lost interest in a whole theme. But besides of Bionicle and sports I have never been interested in any non-licensed theme (except Monster Fighters new Haunted House) :thumbup:

Since becoming an AFOL, I've only been into two themes: Castle (mainly) and Pirates (secondary). And my interest for either of those has not changed. Other themes doesn't interest me except for when I see something I feel I can use for Castle or Pirates, like with LOTR or POTC. I even have some Harry Potter and Ninjago for that purpose. But I certainly, like others in this thread, do not care for fleshie minifigs at all - and try to get rid of any I get. If not for potentially being able to sell those figs on Bricklink, I probably wouldn't buy licensed sets at all.

I've only lost interest in the cmf's. I just got tired of standing in the toy section at Target or Walmart feeling up the packets. Another thing that broke me of them was the price. 48$ for a complete set without any real building. I'd rather spend that on a good size Star Wars or castle set, or maybe some Gunpla.

Since becoming an AFOL, I've only been into two themes: Castle (mainly) and Pirates (secondary). And my interest for either of those has not changed. Other themes doesn't interest me except for when I see something I feel I can use for Castle or Pirates, like with LOTR or POTC. I even have some Harry Potter and Ninjago for that purpose. But I certainly, like others in this thread, do not care for fleshie minifigs at all - and try to get rid of any I get. If not for potentially being able to sell those figs on Bricklink, I probably wouldn't buy licensed sets at all.

In that case, maybe you'd be interested in being a potential tradepartner for LOTR figs? :wink:

I really am such an unsure-of-decisions person. Over the last week and a half I've kinda lost interest in un-licensed themes! I'm not going to get rid of them though...I'm sure eventually I'll need them. But this time, unlike last time, I'm more confident in my decision and I think it's fairly likely I won't be going back to non-licensed for a while.

Hive

When I first got into Lego it was strictly Castle and Pirates. Now that I got back into the hobby, it has covered many more themes. I wish I could stick to just one or two themes. It would actually save me a lot of money. But Castle and Pirates are still my top two.

I think my problem isn't losing interest in a theme, but gaining too much interest in new themes! Just this year I started buying Star Wars for the first time. Never been into the movies or characters before, but all of a sudden I started picking them up. Very odd.

I don't love "fleshie" figures, but it surprisingly does add something to the licensed sets. I will not mix the two, so I would much prefer for all figures to mesh better since I have huge Crusader/Black Knights/Kingdoms armies that won't go well with my LOTR army. Oh well.

In that case, maybe you'd be interested in being a potential tradepartner for LOTR figs? :wink:

Sure - though I won't be buying any LOTR sets untill I can get them for 40 % or more off, and I get the feeling that you won't wait that long. :tongue:

I'm also only getting rid of the figs I can't convert to ordinary yellow figs - that is the figs with torsos that has fleshie print. For those that doesn't (which, thankfully, a fair deal of the LOTR figs doesn't!) I will only get rid of the heads and hands and buy yellow counterparts instead. And of course, uruk-hais, orcs and trolls does not bother me and will fit nicely besides my Castle trolls/orcs.

Hive

When I first got into Lego it was strictly Castle and Pirates. Now that I got back into the hobby, it has covered many more themes. I wish I could stick to just one or two themes. It would actually save me a lot of money. But Castle and Pirates are still my top two.

I think my problem isn't losing interest in a theme, but gaining too much interest in new themes! Just this year I started buying Star Wars for the first time. Never been into the movies or characters before, but all of a sudden I started picking them up. Very odd.

Oh I know that feeling! The thing is that I can't really afford collecting more themes. I can't really afford these two themes as is, and only buy at huge sales! :laugh:

In the beginning, I decided to focus only on Castle and neglect Pirates... so I missed most of the 2009 line and later regretted it (thankfully managing to get a few sets later on)... I then promised myself not to go near POTC... but, well, changed my mind there as well. And now LOTR... though, as mentioned, I don't buy POTC and LOTR for the figs and actual theme - but for the way they can contribute to Castle and Pirates.

If I had the money (and space!) to get more LEGO, I'd likely be collecting Star Wars and Monster Hunters as well. So yeah, I'll join the "lose interest? I'm having serious trouble with the opposite!" chorus. :blush:

I've always been a fan of the castle-sets.

And, being a fan of fantasy, too, the fantasy era-sets were my favorite of the non-licensed castle sets.

However, when the fantasy was replaced by Kingdoms, I suddenly lost interest in castle-sets.

I can understand my people like Kingdoms, but in my opinion, the sets were just ... well, boring. :sceptic:

However, this year's LOTR seems to be a good way for me, to make my return. (Even, if it is technically not a "castle theme").

Edited by Nebsirob

I have to echo a lot of folks sentiment. I go through phases of collecting LEGO. I was heavy into Bionicle when it first came out, and then fell out of it. I got majorly into Classic Trilogy Star Wars sets when the flesh tone figures came out. I own all the rebel ships and any of the bounty hunter related stuff (Slave 1, Jabba's Palace)- but eventually they all ended up in Tupperware bins at my Parent's basement. I've fallen out of SW, mainly because I can't for example justify buying a $100+ Millennium Falcon every couple years. I love the sets I have but they aren't out due to space issues. I collect other things, and LEGO takes up a lot of real estate.

And now I'm getting into the Superheroes sets, especially the Marvel sets, but I've limited myself to just 2 so far because of space. I'd love to get the Hulk Breakout set, but I don't have a shelf to put it. I'd love to build a small section of City, to have the Superheroes inhabiting it fighting crime, but I don't have space dedicated to it. And of course there's the money issues. :sceptic:

I've noticed it more with Star Wars for me. I think it was after the Clone Wars movie came out. I mean, there were some beautiful sets, like the crawler and dropship that I wanted, but now I don't feel a spark for the sets, save the clone battlepacks just to boost my clone army. Even the original trilogy sets seem bland, maybe because I feel like we see the same thing over and over again. I still love the movies, but the LEGO sets seem to have lost their luster. I feel the same about Pirates (non-licensed) a little as well, maybe because the theme was discontinued, but I still try to have some piratey stuff I buy.

On the other hand, my love for Castle has grown, and my rediscovery of Exo-Force after not seeing any of the EF sets I own for more than a year has made me want to make my own mechs.

I have to agree with this. I know i get hung up in certain themes for a while. Then either a new set comes out from a different theme and all of a sudden I am all about that. I think this is human nature. It happens to me for video games, movies, books, tv shows. Everything is in cycles.

I've totally lost interest in all Star Wars sets. I used to be into it in until about four or five years ago. Then they started repeating the same stuff.

If I am interested in a new set, sometimes I will buy it or just order the mini figure. Anyways, I really lost interest in Star Wars, but don't mind because that allows me to put my money towards other new themes. :grin: