Sign in to follow this  
purpleparadox

Suddenly losing all interest in a whole theme?

Have you guys ever sudddenly, completely lost all interest in certain themes? I recently lost any desire for any licensed themes. It happened out of the blue, and now I just don't like them! I still love the original franchises, but the Lego versions aren't doing anything for me anymore. I'm obsessed with LOTR but the Lego lost its appeal.

I think some reasons are: the flesh figs don't appeal to me anymore (I really don't know why), and I prefer creating new stories to building sets and MOCs recreating existing ones. 

Has anything similar ever happened to you? Do you still have no regrets about not buying certain themes? I can't be the only one to have something like this happen.

I can express a similar sentiment about Star Wars sets from the prequel trilogy or the Clone Wars. For me, the original three Star Wars movies are meaningful to me, so the LEGO sets based on them have an extra level of value beyond just bricks. The prequels I don't care much for, and haven't seen any of the Clone Wars series, so much of those sets are very bland to me--though a few sets are interesting in their own right.

So for those sets, I don't have any regrets about never buying, say, a Clone Turbo Tank. Though I might get an Aayla Secura figure someday, just because I think it looks nice.

I won't just swear off licensed sets on principle. Rather, I'll look at each individual set and see if it interests me. Whether that's from a parts perspective, or the shape/style of something in the build that might be a useful reference in the future.

I get sets for what they are, not what theme they belong to. The only exception there is Friends. I don't have any interest in the mini dolls. Sure, I could sell them, but, I'd rather not deal with it. Then theres Ninjago. The theme as a whole I don't really care for. The spinners and the card game, I could do without. I like dragons, so I bought the dragon sets. Same with the recent wave, there's a few I like.

I was big into technic, it was my main interest that bought me out of my dark ages. But recently I've really fallen out of love with it. I don't know if I stopped liking the sets, but I got much more into SW and modular sets. I guess I just felt more for the sculptural side than the mechanical.

I've only ever had real interest in one theme: Castle. So by extension, I'm really getting into the LotR stuff. They don't really mix well, but that's fine with me. As far as I'm concerned, those little clip hands were meant to hold swords and shields, and both Castle and LotR fulfill that. I don't see me ditching the first licensed castle theme any time soon, and if I lost interest in LEGO Castle in general, it would mean entering a second dark age.

I've only ever had real interest in one theme: Castle. So by extension, I'm really getting into the LotR stuff. They don't really mix well, but that's fine with me. As far as I'm concerned, those little clip hands were meant to hold swords and shields, and both Castle and LotR fulfill that. I don't see me ditching the first licensed castle theme any time soon, and if I lost interest in LEGO Castle in general, it would mean entering a second dark age.

Like I said, I love the LOTR franchise, but I don't really love the fleshies. Whad'ya think about them?

EDIT: And although I don't like the fleshies, licensed characters would just look wrong with yellow skin. It's such a dilemma!

Edited by purpleparadox

Like I said, I love the LOTR franchise, but I don't really love the fleshies. Whad'ya think about them?

EDIT: And although I don't like the fleshies, licensed characters would just look wrong with yellow skin. It's such a dilemma!

It's definitely an issue. Overall, I prefer my yellow folks, but the LotR minifigs are so beautiful, I wouldn't change a thing. So from there, a new and unforeseen aspect has shown up: adapting regular LEGO parts to fit within the LotR universe to further flesh out (pun intended, I guess) my LotR armies. There are lots of opportunities to make my own Rohirrim, for example, out of Kingdoms or other parts. It means I'll have to invest in some fleshie heads and hands, but so far it's been pretty fun.

Edited by SirBlake

Lol... i feel the same way. Lego was made for Castle.. In fact it wasnt till recently that i actually finally believed that people actually love space and other things...

Edited by natesroom

Years ago, I was huge into LEGO Star Wars stuff. Had nearly every set, and duplicates of almost everything that was less that $75. I was a regular lurker on FBTB back when it was From Bricks To Bothans and only about Star Wars. I watched from the edge of my seat as one of my old high school acquaintances made a "Letter-Wing" (M-Wing, Q-wing, ect.) for every letter nt in the official canon at the time. I "Ooohed" and "Ahhhed" at MOCs and MODs and recolors. And then there was a huge debate about what color Lando should be, and people were getting awfully worked up, and I drifted away from the community while I tried to work out how I felt about the issue. Meanwhile, the sets started getting bigger and more expensive, and I started having to be more responsible with my money, so I started getting less and less. By 2004, I was already starting to get listless and uninspired by the line. I bought the AT-AT, Mos Eisley, and the snowspeeder, and then just... stopped. I built them, put on a shelf, and then took them apart and boxed them up two months later. In 2005, I didn't buy a single LEGO set, despite working in a toy store at the time. In fact, I didn't buy any LEGO until Exo-Force came out. I kinda regret not getting Dino Attack, but... *shrug*. Halfway through the Exo-Force's first wave, I had all the smaller sets, sometimes 2 or 3 of the smaller sets, really, and then I just stopped again.

And the Agents came out. I got the whole theme twice over, and haven't found a theme I have to own all of since then, but I'm pretty sure when I'm able, I'm going to get all the Monster Fighters sets, too.

I've never really completely lost interest, as if I see a theme I'm not interested in, I never warm up to it. (Ninjago) But you don't like fleshies! *oh2* Shocking! I think that they look amazing! It makes you really stretch creativity to the limits trying to find which figures fits a different figures you're trying to make.

You could always use the fleshies as "foreigners" in anything you create. Men (and women) from a strange land, with strangely colored, exotic skin, etc.

You could always use the fleshies as "foreigners" in anything you create. Men (and women) from a strange land, with strangely colored, exotic skin, etc.

They make good elves, as they're supposed to be fair skinned...

I lost most interest in Star Wars after the shift to fleshies. It wasn't that I liked the sets less, but that to continue collecting would be equivalent to starting my collection over from scratch, even as the price of Star Wars sets rose. I've often considered getting some of the newer sets, especially the superior redesigns of some of my classic ships like the X-Wing or Podracers. But even if I get those, I'm probably never becoming the devoted collector I once was.

Well guys, the whole problem is just me being a really indecisive person. :tongue: I spent a ton of time thinking about it, and realized, as a huge LOTR fan, I need those sets! But now I've got a pretty big problem...budget. A great thing about not buying them, is I don't spend any money on them!

I still have no desire for SW, POTC, etc, at all. And most fleshies are ugly. But LOTR is pretty dang awesome.

So yep, I should probably just give these things some thought before I post topics. Now to plan how I'm supposed to buy all that LOTR...

I wouldn't say I necessarily lost interest in a whole theme. More than likely I never wanted/liked an entire theme to begin with. I don't particularly care for a lot of the themes out there. I don't like ninjago spinjitsu, but my daughter likes seeing the things spin around. I liked some of the figures from various themes, but sometimes the actual sets do not appeal to me (regardless of theme or skin tone). With that in mind, I like Pirates/Castle and am now getting into SW, so seeing those figures in "fleshie" isn't a huge problem. The printing and the figures are really neat seeing Gibbs or Gimli or someone in Lego form, it is worth it to be in "fleshie," but I also love the original yellow. The only thing I don't like is not being able to mix them, to make my figures interact together. Some people don't have a problem with it, but I just can't seem to make it look right. Yellow is too extreme of a color for some reason. The POTC zombies in the dark orange/nougat color and the dark brown/reddish brown plus "fleshie" worked well together because it was not so in your face yellow. Keep in mind, I love the original yellow figures. But I couldn't imagine some of these figures in yellow form (like the early days of SW).

The bigger problem is budget. How can I purchase every single set I want, regardless of what theme it is attached to? I don't think there ever will be an answer to that question.

I recently lost any desire for any licensed themes. It happened out of the blue, and now I just don't like them!

LOL, I think for me it was the other way around. :laugh: I used to like the classic themes like Space and City, but after a while I got bored of them and became increasingly obsessed with licensed themes. I just love seeing my favorite franchises turned into Lego! Nowadays I get nearly every set of each licensed theme that comes out and only do a bit of "sampling" from the other themes, never buying anything above $15. I don't even buy Creator sets for parts anymore, which I used to do a lot (although this is probably due to the fact that Creator sets have hardly any rare colors or elements in them these days). The only non-licensed thing I'm really into are the CMFs. :grin: Each their own, I guess.

LOL, I think for me it was the other way around. :laugh: I used to like the classic themes like Space and City, but after a while I got bored of them and became increasingly obsessed with licensed themes. I just love seeing my favorite franchises turned into Lego! Nowadays I get nearly every set of each licensed theme that comes out and only do a bit of "sampling" from the other themes, never buying anything above $15. I don't even buy Creator sets for parts anymore, which I used to do a lot (although this is probably due to the fact that Creator sets have hardly any rare colors or elements in them these days). The only non-licensed thing I'm really into are the CMFs. :grin: Each their own, I guess.

I'm a bit strange when it comes to licensed themes...I love MOCing for them, but most of the figs and sets I dislike. LOTR completely destroys that pattern though. I love those sets and figs too!

I had to lose interest in all LEGO themes. Well, not really. I'd still love to have certain sets, but there is really no space left for any more LEGO. My last LEGO purchase was on Bricklink in February. I just bought some parts back then. I still need some more parts to be able to build a waggon, but apart from a few parts, I cannot buy anything any more. :cry_sad: Maybe the next modular house will make me realise that there might still be a bit of space left somewhere. :wink:

Can't really say I am a fan of any licenced themes. I am hoping lotr will be the first but I need to see the sets first. For me traditional LEGO Space themes and City/Trains are hat do it. I do glance at licences but only to see what bits are in them. Have bought Toy Story Army Men sets a few times but only to get bits for soldiers for City MOCs.

When i first got into Lego, i only collected City sets and always was wanting to expand my city. Fastforward to now and i completely lost most interest of City sets. I even try to buy smaller sets to get back into it but it doesnt work. Maybe it was my growing interest in licenced sets but to me out of all the themes out right now, City sets are the most lacking. Also seeing how the sets instructions are broken down too easily also got me out of it.

Definitely Star Wars. It was the enjoyable builds of the larger sets that brought me out of my dark ages, but if you ask any casual SW fan (which is what I am) to name 10 vehicles from that universe, I've already got one of each of them. Now most of the sets are populated with ships I don't recognize, piloted by characters I don't know. I bought one of the Hoth sets to obtain a tauntaun, but I haven't bought any other SW sets in years, certainly since the modular buildings hit the shelves.

Recently I've lost a bit of interest in star wars. I'm just to busy looking at all the other great licence sets like superheroes. It happens to me every now and again but it won't last to long.

I was a huge Bionicle fan. In fact, that's what got me into Lego. Then they stopped putting gears and such in the figures and I gave up completely on that theme. I shifted my focus to System, but I sometimes do go back to Technic.

Star Wars bought be out of my dark ages, but recently I've stated to lose interest in all but the large UCS sets. A couple of weeks ago, I came to the realisation that I had way too many lego sets, I had bought entire lines and only built 1 or 2 sets from each line. POTC went with the exception of the ships, the entire Alien Conquest line went, a number of Indy ones, and quite a few of the star wars sets got the chop, along with various city and creator sets.

Edited by brickingit

Recently I've lost a bit of interest in star wars. I'm just to busy looking at all the other great licence sets like superheroes. It happens to me every now and again but it won't last to long.

So you lose interest every now and again, but regain it? Because that's exactly what happened to me, and I think I'm back into most of the themes I lost interest in. I think for me it's because TLG is releasing so many great sets now I can't decide which themes to make a priority so I kinda forget about some of them. Well, I'll try to balance it all out. Except I'm gonna buy a lot of LOTR. :tongue: