mrklaw

ASK HERE MOC-stuck? Ask for general building advice here!

Well, a 5th wheeler eh ? :thumbup:

Now the important question is will there be an interior ?

If so, then using panels or just 1 stud wide bricks would be the way to go.....though the most important question is cost...what is a design going to cost me on Bricklink or similar to get the parts ?

Brick On 'Oran'.....and good luck. :classic:

This is really, for me, the pitfall of LDD. In virtual space everything just stays where you put it. In real brick, you often end up with something that can't even support it own weight or is so delicate, sections collapse under the pressure of squeezing bricks together in the course of building things. Still, it is a useful prototyping tool even if, as you've discovered, it lacks something when transitioning to the real world.

I've learned my lessons the hard way when it comes to larger scale models (having dropped 5000+ piece models only to see nearly every single piece come completely separated from the others and find its own unique vector in which to fly) so usually if I know scalable strength is going to be an issue I resort to technic parts (the long ones with the studs for "normal' brick connections, the smooth beams for locking vertical tiers of bricks together).

To make long "studs on top" beams, I use two rows of long technic (1x10 or better) bricks connected laterally by black pins, staggered by a 50% overlap between the left and right runs, and sandwiched on top and bottom by 2xWhatever plates. I'd use beams like this to run front to back along the length of the model. Then I'd use shorter, similar construction as spacers between the core beams. They can be connected with stacked plates, but using "L" shaped technic bricks and pins in the corners will add even more rigidity. Taken together these form a structural grid within a horizontal plane.

For something like your camper I'd think you want to create at least three cross sectional grids that define the trailer at the wheel base, the longest point where the cab comes forward, and the top.

In the vertical direction the structural grids can be connected with columns of (mostly) 2x4+ bricks and plates, but an ordinary stack can still get vibrated to death if it gets too tall so put in a few technic bricks with pins and use technic beams vertically to pull everything together. The magic sequence to remember is that brick-with-pin, 2 plates, and another brick-with-pin lines up perfectly with the hole spacing on the beams. The vertical connectors will keep the stack in compression and the tube and studs on the individual bricks will help fight shearing forces, so taken together you should be able to build a pretty strong and durable infrastructure.

Once the shape of this inner cage is worked out, the only task left is skinning it with the camper exterior. For maximum strength you'll probably need to build the skin and the cage simultaneously so that the skin fully integrates with the frame but since the frame is being built mostly from bricks with studs you should have plenty of contact surface to work with.

I'm sure there are other viable solutions, but that's how I'd tackle it.

Hope this helps.

Thank you 'ShaydDeGrai' so very much!

I am looking for good, close-up images of brick built cauldrons.

I am attempting a Halloween display, and would like to have as part of it a coven of witches (I have the coven) around a cauldron, but the typical LEGO cauldron is just too small.

I was at LEGOland Calif yesterday, and due to sunlight (glare) issues and positioning I was unable to get a good close-up photo of a cauldron.

Does any one have a good photo or a reference to where I can see one to help me determine what I need to build a cauldron.

A miniland cauldron would be perfect.

Thanks so much for any help.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

I google'd it and I found a funny looking cauldron.. it uses a tire ( reversed ) . It gave a perfect looking cauldron ( It was a lot bigger , but I found it so funny ! ) I think it was a 68.8 x 40.0 tire.

Hope this helpes a bit, halloween isn't big in my country :sweet: .

grtz Saint

just a small edit : the 43.2 x 28 s tire works also ( and stand just under the head of a minifig ... aka shoulderheight )

Edited by Saint

I google'd it and I found a funny looking cauldron.. it uses a tire ( reversed ) . It gave a perfect looking cauldron ( It was a lot bigger , but I found it so funny ! ) I think it was a 68.8 x 40.0 tire.

Hope this helpes a bit, halloween isn't big in my country :sweet: .

grtz Saint

just a small edit : the 43.2 x 28 s tire works also ( and stand just under the head of a minifig ... aka shoulderheight )

What was you search term? I googled lego caldron and all I find is the official LEGO caldron.

Thanks,

Andy D

I also seem to recall seeing a MOC that used some kind of tire as a large cauldron..but it'd be tough to find, I viewed it months ago. :shrug_oh_well: It worked great for minifig scale though!

http://mocpages.com/moc.php/260444

this is the cauldron I spoke of . This uses the bigger tyre, just inside out .

I used lego cauldron as a search with the images option on google :sweet: I love searching with images :wub:

Grtz Saint

Edited by Saint

http://mocpages.com/moc.php/260444

this is the cauldron I spoke of . This uses the bigger tyre, just inside out .

I used lego cauldron as a search with the images option on google :sweet: I love searching with images :wub:

Grtz Saint

Thanks for the link. I must have had a senior moment. i forgot to do an images search. I ususlly just use the search box in my browser.

Many, many thanks. I just tried this with a 56x26 tyre and it is perfect! Just the right size for a coven of minifig witches!

Thanks,

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

snip

I am building the shell of a fifth wheel camper.

snip

BUT the staying power of it to stay together being bounced around the country cannot be determined without a lot of trial and error.

snip

Build partitions inside using any size bricks, running side-to-side. Basically, dividing it into 3 or 4 "rooms".

When packing it, wrap some heavy-duty rubber bands around it. Or wrap it with 2 layers paper or plastic, then wrap several loops of tape around it. Then slip sticks in between the paper/plastic layers to put tension on the tape.

Yes, I know, a rubber-banded, wrapped and taped 5th wheel camper being towed cross-country is going to look silly :D At least, it'll get to Point B in one piece.

Hi,

I am making a stunt track in LDD but hope tO buy the track soon but on the corner which curves inwards too I don't know how to keep it stable and have little 'wobble' in the track.

Maybe hinges could work but how I don't know how they would stay in unfolded and to the right angle.

I need ideas on how to support this part of the track but to have the supports attach flat on the floor end, on the track end it will obviously need to angle to attach to the track.

The track goes straight again at the exit of the curve, Ill probably use base plates too,underneath the whole track so it can be put on carpet without being unstable. LDD file http://www.brickshel...t_car_track.lxf

beryd.png

Edited by SNIPE

You have a great question posed and I hope this gets completed, it looks like it's going to be EPIC.

HI,

On second thoughts I think I might just build it without those supports for now then buy the parts and see how it is in real life when on a base-plate as its hard to tell with a digital model .

Not sure if this is the right forum, but it seems a little vague for any specific theme and this forum does discuss building technique, so here I go. I'm building a fire station and need a brick facade, there's no masonry bricks on LDD yet so I tried to make my own. Looking for tips to make it better or just general comments. (good and bad)

bricks.png

That's what I came up with alternating 2x2s with dark gray plates in between. I wanted to have masonry lines vertically between the bricks but the snot made my head hurt, so this is my final product for a brick wall. Let me know what you think.

Hi

the grey lines are ok, but the pattern of the bricks is too regular for my taste. Instead of using long grey 1x plates you could use light and dark bgrey shorter plates to have more differentiation.

Dino

I agree with Dino, the pattern looks too regular. I'd try also with alternating 1x2 and 1x3 bricks, or maybe even better (but very parts consuming) use of small plates (1x1, 1x2, 1x3) in various reds/dark orange/dark tan colours. There are some MOCs with that style, including mine or Wooootles's. If you plan in LDD, bricks are not a limit, but if you plan on making it with bricks eventually, a nice design is also the facade on Fire Brigade modular building.

Not sure if this is the right forum, but it seems a little vague for any specific theme and this forum does discuss building technique, so here I go. I'm building a fire station and need a brick facade, there's no masonry bricks on LDD yet so I tried to make my own. Looking for tips to make it better or just general comments. (good and bad)

<snip>

That's what I came up with alternating 2x2s with dark gray plates in between. I wanted to have masonry lines vertically between the bricks but the snot made my head hurt, so this is my final product for a brick wall. Let me know what you think.

Nice, but the masonry bricks actually are on LDD. They're in the modified brick category, listed as Part# 98283 Profile brick 1x2 single gro. If they're not there for you, you might be using an outdated version of LDD.

Edited by Lyichir

I like the wall, it actually reminds me of the old fire station where I used to live. It was brick built and had a similar pattern. Unfortunately no longer and has been developed into flats.

The trouble I find with the masonry bricks is that to get a good pattern they have to just be stacked directly on top of each other which is a pretty rubbish building technique for strength especially if it is a big wall. I have tried overlapping them but then they just do not line up right. I think I prefer the plate option if you want to make it more brick like as they will not then be so big and as people have said you could incorporate more brick colours.